Conceal carry weapon for wife.

Thankfully here in WI we have a concealed carry law passed. (takes effect in Nov.)

I'm an active rifle shooter, and have lots of handgun time ect.

However, i'm considering which way to lean the wife. She's a good shot, never has owned her own handgun though.

I'm thinking a revolver, and an enclosed hammer. She'll be carrying it on her pretty much all of the time, especially at 5am in the morning when she is alone opening the shop.

What i'm thinking is a S&W 642.

does anyone have any feedback and or experience, good or bad with the weapon?

here is a link to their site and the gun. I'm seeing it around 350-450 dollars.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_764961_-1_757768_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Edited by sharkeater

I have the 442, which is the blackened aluminum and steel version of the 642, which I believe has a stainless cylinder. Nice little handgun. Both my fiance and I have concealed pistol licenses. She mostly uses her Glock 23 though. The 442 she carries in a coat pocket in the winter. Here in MI, the winters will find you bundled up and unable to quickly retrieve a pistol concealed under layers of clothing. The revolver can be fired right through the pocket, if she had to.

Do what I did with my wife.

Take her out shopping and shooting, let her make the decision.

Have her handle and shoot as many different make/model of revolver/pistol as possible in various calibers.

Go to as many ranges as possible that have rentals and rent them all.

Let her decide.

My wife prefers revolvers, but decided that she really liked the feel and natural point of the Bersa Thunder .380.

And she liked it's slimness, capacity and recoil, it is now her EDC.

She wants a S&W M10 or M27 for her birthday :smoke:

Edited by ChileRelleno

If she doesn't want something too bulky, take a look at the Ruger LCP or LC9. I bought a LC9 for ease of concealment when wearing board shorts going to the beach. It shoots really well and the trigger is more smooth than I expected. I think it has now been claimed by my wife. It fits her hand better than other pistols I own and has more knockdown than the .380.

My wife bought a 442 (blackened version of the 642) for her concealed carry. She likes the size and weight, but hates shooting it. it's lightweight frame really beats her hand up, not enough mass to help absorb recoil. She would rather shoot my Taurus Judge Magnum than her S&W. Go figure.......

The 642 is a good choice--light weight, reliable, all metal, good cartridge, point and shoot. Recoil should be a lesser issue for a CCW as if you are still needing to shoot back after a full cylinder your outlook isn't the best, and with the adrenalin pumping you shouldn't be noticing it consciously.

Thanks all of you for the input, its appreciated, and by all means keep it coming!

I'm partial to her having a revolver for a CCW, in part becasue in a panic situation, I don't need her be caught with a saftey on, as well as i'm not sure what the law will en-tale about keeping one behind the hammer on a semi. SImplicity here, although... the PK looks pretty tempting. who knows I'm def going to take the advice of let her choose. (I do like DA semis as well, the beretta 96d was one of my favorite to shoot, again under clothing, or out of a pocket, god only knows, I really want her to have something she knows will fire with a pull of the trigger, regardless, and more than one time if needed.) What i was looking for was if steering her to a 642 was a good move, in regards to the gun. and yup seems no problems there.

The added guns, well... we are hitting the shop on tues, and i'll definatly make sure she picks up most if not all of these. She's in no major rush to buy, we have some time before its legal for her to carry. (we have plenty at home to shoot though!)

anyway, ty again for some models I didnt think of or even realize existed! as well as the feedback.

Edited by sharkeater

Hello

My wife prefers revolvers with full, exposed hammers. She's not keen on firing them DA, although obviously she would probably get over that if she had to in an emergency.

One of her favorite pistols is the CZ RAMI, a single stack 9mm SA/DA that was developed for women C/C. Exposed hammer, cock n' lock, slide that is easy to rack (chronic problem with women and many semi's)

We've also recently acquired a pair of LC9's. With Crimson Trace and Crossbreed's help those are sweet little C/C packages. DA only trigger is not too bad. Huge improvement from P3AT/LCP pocket protectors.

The thing I found with revolvers is my wife has a tendency to put it in her purse, largely due to the thickness. Not a great place for a carry weapon, since that's the first thing a thief will likely snag from them.

If I set her up with a slim rig such as the LC9 above, she soon adapts and kind of likes it.

JMHO....

-guido

I bought my wife a Ruger LCR .357. Now, she hates the pretty hard recoil of the magnum round, but she likes the feel of the .38 Special alternative. I assured her that while she thinks the .357 is too heavy in recoil for her tastes, the adrenaline fueling an emergency draw will pretty much negate any short-term pain.

• 2 weeks later...

Have her handle and shoot as many different make/model of revolver/pistol as possible in various calibers.

Let her decide.

My wife prefers revolvers, but decided that she really liked the feel and natural point of the Bersa Thunder .380.

+1 I had my wife shoot several revolvers (thats what I planned on getting her) . She has really small hands and they all beat her up. Due to the fact she wanted to take her carry gun and shoot it at the range with me it got a no vote from her. Wound up going with a XD 9mm subcompact because it "fit." Really easy to operate (especially in a panic situation) and she loves shooting it - not bad might I add. Oh ya and it "looks pretty" as she will tell you.

My wife carries either a Kel-Tec P-11 9mm or a Charter Arms .38 undercover snub nose. Both are light in weight, reliable and shoot well, but she has some issues with a her wrist and racking the slide of the Kel-Tec therefore she usually carries the .38 Special in a Coronado Leather concealed carry purse.

• 2 months later...

Let her decide.

+1.

I would try and persuade her to get a revolver. Maybe a .357 and put .38 specials in it or if she's comfortable with .357 then use that. If she's dead set on an automatic, make sure she can rack the slide

Don't forget that changing the grips can *really* change the feel of any pistol. My shooting buddy has a S&W .44mag airweight that he carries out hunting, and those grips are a godsend for shooting practice. I think they are made by Hogue.

When I went shopping for a CCW pistol, I ended up with my CZ75 compact. It fit my hand and points right for me. It was a lot bigger than I had planned on getting (I started all the way down at the LCP).