Saiga 12 Cleaning

I put about 300 rounds through my Saiga since new, so I think it's time to clean it. Are there any videos out there (I did try searching) that show exactly what's needed to break down and clean the saiga 12 shotgun? I was planning on heading to Cabelas for the cleaning tools this evening.

Thanks,

Ryan

I clean the gas block and puck. The rest just gets minimal lube. Doesn't hurt to meticulously clean it though. When I do clean something really well, I fully disassemble it and spray the internals with brakecleaner, let them completely dry, minimal lube, and reassemble.

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 1

you clean it just like you would any AK, only additional cleaning would be the gas block "puck" and the gas regulator. other then that you don't need to do anything special to it.

you can take a pipe clean and run it down the gas ports if you want to. me, I just use carb cleaner and blast it through

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

you clean it just like you would any AK, only additional cleaning would be the gas block "puck" and the gas regulator. other then that you don't need to do anything special to it.

you can take a pipe clean and run it down the gas ports if you want to. me, I just use carb cleaner and blast it through

+1 on the blasting!

Anyone use that Aerosol Remington Shotgun cleaner? Or their dry film lube?

waste of money, just use a rag and whatever you use to clean your other guns (CLP, etc..). as for dry film lube, again a waste of money, just use whatever lube you use on your other firearms.

Also how do you get the gas puck out? Mine keeps getting stuck on the gas plug threads.

carbon builds up around that "puck", so that is why it gets stuck. what I do is take a rod and knock it out with a hammer from the backside. you aren't going to hurt the threads or the "puck"

• Like 1

Anyone use that Aerosol Remington Shotgun cleaner? Or their dry film lube?

Also how do you get the gas puck out? Mine keeps getting stuck on the gas plug threads.

Break Free Powder Blaster & Break Free CLP

Also take your cleaning rod and knock the puck out from the backside

What can I use to clean the black painted areas of the saiga 12? I know I have to be careful as to not strip the paint off, right? Is there a soap solution that I can use for these outter parts that wont pull off the finish? Also what moving parts do I need to clean besides the puck? What should I use to clean said parts? Also which internals need to me lubed? Thanks for any insight.

What can I use to clean the black painted areas of the saiga 12? I know I have to be careful as to not strip the paint off, right? Is there a soap solution that I can use for these outter parts that wont pull off the finish?

other then sand blasting, you're not going to hurt the finish using any commercial avaiable solvents or oils. the finish is baked on so you don't have to worry about stripping it, that is a non-issue off the bat.

Also what moving parts do I need to clean besides the puck? What should I use to clean said parts? Also which internals need to me lubed? Thanks for any insight.

you clean the bolt, carrier, and scrub the carbon off the gas piston, I clean mine with CLP (BREAK FREE) and a rag that is my cleaner and lube of choice for all my firearms. you also clean out the gas tube and gas block. as for lubing you lube anywhere were there is metal to metal ontact, ie. the the rails where the carrier rides in, spring, bolt tail and the recess in the carrier where the bolt rotates in. the only places you don't put any lube on, is on the "puck", gas block, gas tube, gas piston, and in the trunion.

I put about 300 rounds through my Saiga since new, so I think it's time to clean it. Are there any videos out there (I did try searching) that show exactly what's needed to break down and clean the saiga 12 shotgun? I was planning on heading to Cabelas for the cleaning tools this evening.

Thanks,

Ryan

AtacTV www.atactv.com has a nice video on the subject. Go to Firearms -> Categories -> Comprehensive Bench Cleaning -> Saiga Shotgun Cleaning Part 1 and 2

Edited by Saigano
  • Like 1

What can I use to clean the black painted areas of the saiga 12? I know I have to be careful as to not strip the paint off, right? Is there a soap solution that I can use for these outter parts that wont pull off the finish?

The factory finish on your gun should withstand solvents, but if you have regular rattle-can paint on your gun you might have a problem.

Others may grit their teeth at this, but there is a soap solution you can use to clean your gun. It is called "soap". Yes, that's right. After removing all plastic/wood, I use dish soap and a toothbrush, get a good lather going scrubbing down the internals, then rinse with scalding hot water. Make sure you've truly dried the gun 100% afterward (I've used a hairdryer on the interior, then setting it next to a roasting woodstove for a couple hours - no moisture to be found at all). Then cover with a light coat of oil and you're good to go.

Let the angry howls of protest begin! :devil:

Edited by Mr. Scratch
  • Like 1

The factory finish on your gun should withstand solvents, but if you have regular rattle-can paint on your gun you might have a problem.

Others may grit their teeth at this, but there is a soap solution you can use to clean your gun. It is called "soap". Yes, that's right. After removing all plastic/wood, I use dish soap and a toothbrush, get a good lather going scrubbing down the internals, then rinse with scalding hot water. Make sure you've truly dried the gun 100% afterward (I've used a hairdryer on the interior, then setting it next to a roasting woodstove for a couple hours - no moisture to be found at all). Then cover with a light coat of oil and you're good to go.

Let the angry howls of protest begin! :devil:

That's nothing, I take bubble baths with mine :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

So let me just say I have a new found love for areosol cleaners and lubrication. I finally got around to buying some Break Free Powder Blaster and Rem-Oil areosol. After I got done with the saiga (which I found cycled alot easier) I though I would do my other guns. Now I am no slouch when it comes to gun cleaning and maintenence but I used that Powder Plaster on my 40 cal and WOW. I couldn't tell you how much nastieness came out of my "cleaned" gun. I can't wait to go shoot again and see how well they operate.

You guys clean your S12 that thuroughly? I applaud you.

I clean the threads on the gas regulator and gas block, so i can turn it. I clean the gas puck grooves with a wire brush so it wont get STUCK. I run a mop down the bore and oil some moving parts and contact surfaces with 3 in 1.

Edited by Mullet Man

I like the "shower with your Saiga" approach. To be honest I haven't cleaned one of my shotguns in over 2500 rounds.:lolol: My gas puck still goes clickity clack in the gas block, and no failure to fire so I continue to abuse. BTW, this is the only firearm I have done this with. I am curious how dirty you can run them before it becomes a problem. As it stands, I have complete confidence in this weapons ability to perform for war in the hands of even a monkey.

xacex

• 4 months later...

After I got done with the saiga (which I found cycled alot easier)

Hokay, so I was not crazy, I racked it a few times and was getting a slight chubert at how much smoother it felt after cleaning

...thank goodness I only have to wait a few days before going shooting again.

Edited by FiReBReTHa