Must haves for saiga 12

#1, figure out how it fires as is right now, on both gas settings (#1 for slugs/buck, #2 for lower powered bird shot).

"Must haves", are subjective.

Hint tho, stay away from the Tapco T6 stock setup if you plan on pistol gripping it. Save yourself time and money by doing it right, the first time.

Read read read and look at the big picture thread above for ideas on parts.

1- AK100 stock kit

2- Molot grip

3- Tapco G2 fire control group

4- Retainer plate

5- MD Arms trigger guard

After all of that you need a MD-20 or a few.... :angel:

Welcome aboard! If you need help.... use the search function. If you have a dry run.... ask away. Most of us here are glad to help.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Beside making sure it's reliable , I'd say a light . Especially if it will be used for home defense. I prefer one with a pressure pad so as to light up what goes bump in the night, then be able to immediately go black and move if needed . Don't want to give away your new position if it shoots back or rushes you .

#1, figure out how it fires as is right now, on both gas settings (#1 for slugs/buck, #2 for lower powered bird shot).

Hint tho, stay away from the Tapco T6 stock setup if you plan on pistol gripping it. Save yourself time and money by doing it right, the first time.

What is wrong with the Tapco T6? I have it and love it...

I think he means the tapco kit with the pistol grip for unconverted guns, not specifically the T6 stock.

I'd suggest after a conversion to get a good set of higher capacity magazines. That's pretty much the reason any of us got into the S12s. Read some on the forum and pick whatever brand you want and land some 8 or 10 round sticks and maybe a drum or two if that's your thang. After you dump twenty or thirty rounds in quick succession you'll never wanna see the gun leave your sight again.

The T6 makes no sense to me other than for extending L.O.P., which I have no interest in. The T6 is only a fraction of an inch shorter than a WARSAW stock when collapsed. The whole point in having a collapsible stock is to make the weapon more compact while transporting/storing, which the T6 does not do. The T6 flexes up and down quite a bit as well and makes the recoil impulse feel strange to me. I had one and used it for a couple of range trips. That was plenty of T6 for me. If you like the T6, great. The T6's best use on a Saiga 12 is to allow use of a pistol grip while guys are contemplating whether or not they should de-nueterize the weapon. Other than that, I'd jump over 1,000,000 T6s to get to one beat up WARSAW stock :ph34r:

The T6 makes no sense to me other than for extending L.O.P., which I have no interest in. The T6 is only a fraction of an inch shorter than a WARSAW stock when collapsed. The whole point in having a collapsible stock is to make the weapon more compact while transporting/storing, which the T6 does not do. The T6 flexes up and down quite a bit as well and makes the recoil impulse feel strange to me. I had one and used it for a couple of range trips. That was plenty of T6 for me. If you like the T6, great. The T6's best use on a Saiga 12 is to allow use of a pistol grip while guys are contemplating whether or not they should de-nueterize the weapon. Other than that, I'd jump over 1,000,000 T6s to get to one beat up WARSAW stock :ph34r:

I got a T6 because I wasnt sure which would be more comfortable the warsaw length or nato length stock. If you are unsure and dont have any way of really trying either out. I would go with the T6 then upgade to one or the other later.

For me the must haves were: css conversion kit minus stock, v plug or auto plug, hi cap mags and ammo. I went with the css internal reciver block. Reasoning behind that was 2 fold I didn't like the nylon plugs for the old rivet holes and 2 i can easily switch between stocks until I decided on one I truly liked. Right now it has the folder that has the m4 mount built in mated to a aluminum mil spec tube and a mbr stock with a limbsaver and caa cheek riser. Everything that any one says is needed is kinda subjective as it depends on shooting style and personal taste

Thanks to all y'all it helps. It's alot of stuff u can do. I'm going to look and read .what's the retainer plate for? Anything I need to add to shot the 20 round drums. It's why I wanted the saiga in the first place. What's the gas plug fo. And is there any more interval parts I need?

Do you use the bolt on pistol grip/adjustable stock combo abomination, or have you done a real conversion and are just using the T6 stock?

I'm talking about the combo stock/grip deal, its not worth the money IMO.

Have you run any other S12's with the FCG moved forward? It IS night and day!

Thanks to all y'all it helps. It's alot of stuff u can do. I'm going to look and read .what's the retainer plate for? Anything I need to add to shot the 20 round drums. It's why I wanted the saiga in the first place. What's the gas plug fo. And is there any more interval parts I need?

The retainer plate is used to hold the FCG in place, inside the receiver. Theres other options too but the plate works great.

The gas plug is a regulator. It regulates how much gas is allowed into the gas block to force the piston/carrier/bolt rearward to cycle the action and chamber the next round. Less gas (setting #1) is needed with more powerful rounds, more gas is needed (setting #2) with less powerful rounds. Only two settings with the stock gas plug. Most aftermarket plugs have 2-3 more settings then stock, sometimes allowing more functionality.

Edited by Mullet Man

.what's the retainer plate for?

it's to hold the trigger axis pins in, when you convert it to the pistol grip configuration.

Anything I need to add to shot the 20 round drums.................. What's the gas plug for.

you don't need to add anything to shoot the 20 round drum. the gas plug is so it hits the gas piston to cycle the action. the gas piston head is too small for the gas block, so they (IZHMASH) added a plug. why they didn't just go with a larger gas piston head, I'll never know.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

the gas plug is so it hits the gas piston to cycle the asction. the gas piston head is too small for the gas block, so they (IZHMASH) added a plug. why they didn't go with a larger gas piston head, I'll never know.

No, the gas plug is the regulator (V-plug, Auto-plug etc.), the part you are speaking of is refered to as either the gas piston, or gas puck in an S12.

Do you use the bolt on pistol grip/adjustable stock combo abomination, or have you done a real conversion and are just using the T6 stock?

I did the full conversion and have the bolt on T6 stock with a Houge grip upgrade from CSS. Yeah the stock combo/grip isn't worth the money and I don't like the looks but I love the bolt on T6 with the conversion. It is night and day with the FCG moved. :)

• Like 1

It is night and day with the FCG moved. :)

+1

Here are mine:

1- conversion

2- reprofile & polish (pro or DIY)

3- drums and mags

4- different types of ammo

5- the stock/furniture you prefer (ex.folder,rails)

you cheated.... :ph34r: but I'll top that....

1- AK100 SBS conversion

2- reprofile & polish

3- more drums that you can afford to load :angel:

4- more ammo than your shoulder can handle

5- .... and a private range to raise hell with it!!!!

Now what bitches? :smoke:

I'm new to the saiga world what are the top five things u need to get for your saiga 12? So it can help me out!! Look forward from hearing from all y'all saiga people.thanks newbee

i dont know if theres 5 things you must have. personally, i feel the need for three. conversion kit, 10 round mags, and a cool looking muzzle brake.

Not converted yet just got out of box!!

I apologize if you already know this but to be specific: you need to make sure it is 922 r compliant. Buying a Saiga-12 magazine is a good start for this as this gives you 3 of the 10 Amercian made parts you need

to make it compliant with 922 r meaning that only 10 imported parts are allowed if you intend to make the shotgun other than a sportsman mode (i.e. you intend to put "evil" features on your Saiga-12. Here is a good url that can help you

if you haven't already found one like it: http://home.comcast..../home/922r.html

As for conversion, if you do this then all you need do is insure 10 of the parts you use for the conversion are American made. Then its easy street brother!

Edited by jmdove