surplus vs. commercial ammo... a testimonial with a picture

Would be cool if you could compare Tula and Ulyanovsk to Golden Tiger.

Tula and Wolf are the same, just different names and packaging. All made at Tula arsenal.

Thought I'd mention this. Part of the head stamp on my Wolf 5.45x39 fmj is the number 10. These were bought prior to the year 2010 so it's not the manufacture year. So that means it was likely made at a Bulgarian factory.

Is it still a Tula factory? I honestly don't know.

Also

If we could do a summery reply at the end of all of this, putting all of the gathered results together into one "report" it could help future readers who find this topic. Just a thought.

Edited by ShadowFire
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had bought close on 1200 rounds of surplus yugo ammo. While it is not too bad (Minute Of Bad Guy), i was wondering if different ammo would have a drastic difference in patterning.   Turns out, yah

I'm thoroughly convinced I get better accuracy with my reloads. I also make them for a little below the price of the absolutely cheapest surplus stuff on the internet, and I enjoy reloading. I see it

Age isn't likely to make any significant difference for another three decades and more, at least not for any decently sealed ammo, be it brass cased or coated steel. Hell, in most temperate climates i

Posted Images

I've held off commenting on this post bc I've never really done any extreme analysis....but I've had some very good accuracy out of the yugo surplus (brass cased stuff recently avail in cases of 1260 for pretty cheap).

I've never hand fed rounds, let the barrel cool, etc., but seemed to notice significantly better accuracy with the yugo surplus over my wolf mc on a few occasions.

If we could do a summery reply at the end of all of this, putting all of the gathered results together into one "report" it could help future readers who find this topic. Just a thought.

Yup, thats the plan :D

I think that once I am done testing the Tula/Uly ammo in a months time i will compile all the results into a report.

And, as time goes by, and more varieties of ammo are tested, I will update that report.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

So i finally got to take my rifle out, and feed her some Golden Tiger FMJBT's...

I will post pictures later, but suffice to say, it is right up there with the winchester. Very, very good ammo. the groups were tight and predictable. No issues with the lacquer coating at all.

I think i have found my daily shooter/stockpile ammo. :D

as for topping your mags with accurate ammo, thats a great idea! Right now i have 6 rounds of frangible home defense rounds in my main mag... I dont know what they shoot like, as 6 rounds cost 30 odd dollars...

if you have never shot the rounds, i would advise against that for the HD situation. What if they lack the power to cycle your action. In a time of need, that could cost you.

here are some targets from the last time i went out with my saiga.

I used my converted 2009 Saiga 16" military AKM barrel (the ones with threads and cuts) using a Bulgarian 24mm FSB w AK USA - AK-103 clone muzzle brake. Also uses a Texas Ak Trigger.

brand of ammo- Uly white box 122 gr made at Ulyanovsk Catridge Works

distance of target - 25yards for sight in of newly attached FSB w brake

was the rifle benched - yes

climatic conditions - outdoor, sunny, 2-4 mph wind, midday.

Targets Red Circle is 9.5"

All groups were 5 shot. i was shooting approx 1 round/second. group 8 had two land approx <1" off target edge. Some groups such as 3 had 2 in 1 hole.

The group listed as S-I was the initial sight in group. the rest are set numerically. I used a piece of paper to mark each bullets impact location and group circles from my bench then later circled and marked on the targets. This is also how the two targets were stacked. One above the other.

I also went over 8 months without cleaning after this. My rifle shows no signs of rust. the corrosion on the end of the piston had to be removed with a dremel though but looks clean and undamaged.

6254672616_0f65342441_b.jpg

6254142411_0776876831_b.jpg

6254206035_0e51d8e5b4_o.jpg

6254737050_4f716bf712_o.jpg

* i have shot Golden Bear many times from this same rifle and I think it has a bit tighter accuracy. I will try some GT next also.

Edited by GregM1

Prolly wont be able to test some varying ammo this week, but in a couple, will give some info on Tula, Wolf MC, and the yugo surplus, on a stock sporter model rifle.

New WPA MC 124gr HP or older Wolf MC 124gr HP? Am looking for a report on the new stuff. Ditto the new Tulammo 124GR HP.

Prolly wont be able to test some varying ammo this week, but in a couple, will give some info on Tula, Wolf MC, and the yugo surplus, on a stock sporter model rifle.

New WPA MC 124gr HP or older Wolf MC 124gr HP? Am looking for a report on the new stuff. Ditto the new Tulammo 124GR HP.

124 gr FMJ, looks new. Laquered on primer and bullet.

Edited by rob0126

So i finally got to take my rifle out, and feed her some Golden Tiger FMJBT's...

I will post pictures later, but suffice to say, it is right up there with the winchester. Very, very good ammo. the groups were tight and predictable. No issues with the lacquer coating at all.

I think i have found my daily shooter/stockpile ammo. biggrin.png

Damn, took ya long enough! happy.png

Yeah, GT's damned impressive, and often some of the cheapest Russkie steel-cased ammo available. Since it's an AK, the lacquer fouling is negligible, (blow the red shit out of the receiver every few thousand rounds biggrin.png ).

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Right!

So!

took my rifle out this past weekend to feed her some Golden Tigers. She REALLY likes them. like, a lot. easily as much as a fat kid loves cake.

it was a nice day, 82 degrees, overcast, slight breeze.

shot off a rest at 100 yards

fired from a 20 inch barrel, unconverted configuration (well, the dragunov stock is on there, but the trigger group is in the unconverted position)

looking thru a Redfield 3 to 9 scope

ran out of the big 12 inch targets, so had to use the smaller 6 inch ones.

here are the results of the Golden Tiger FMJBT round :

as you can see, very tight groups. I numbered the groups to show me adjusting the scope to (roughly) zero.

In my humble opinion, this stuff is easily as good as the winchester, and much, much cheaper. I am really happy with the second grouping, 5 rounds in just over an inch, with the majority of the rounds touching.

mind = blown.

i will also compile all of the results into some kind of chart, hopefully someone will have some use from it :)

but, if you guys find some kind of fantastic ammo, please share! post up pics of your targets :D

post-32465-0-00618600-1318948575_thumb.jpg

Sorry forgot to post this on here the other day. This is with my CAI, Romy RPK, 23" barrel, A1 style flash hidder(3 prong) and iron sights off a bipod mounted just in front of the handgaurd, at a 12" 100yrd target.

I shot some 3rnd groups with various ammo, Uly, Win and Yugo FMJs, Rem MC, Win SP and Red Hammer(Barnaul?)HP. Was gettting under 2" groups with the Win SP and 1.5" with the Red Hammer HP. the others were 3-4" groups. All of it feed flawlessly. I thought the soft point would have been lower on my list as they would seem to deform a bit when pushed into the barrel, but I guess it doesn't matter much. At least not at short range.

Picked up some Wolf Classic HPs and Hornady Red tips will try them out next trip.

And has any tried some of the higher priced ammo like Lapua?

Ya, the Win SP runs about $25/20rnd box locally. So far, my rifle seems to like the Barnaul HPs best. I would image the Lapua would just be more consistant in accuracy more than anything. I may spring for a couple boxes once I get reaching out farther than 100yrds.

I mispoke about the VMaxs in my first(?) post. Not most accurate but one of the most devastateing. Unfortunately I can't remember the posting I had read to confirm. But I guess the tips aided in penatration of soft targets while the HP acts accordingly or something like that. I think it was in a Thread talking about blowing up water jugs and what round transfered the most energy.