changes in new imports from legion.

a family member of mine was recently in a gun shop and saw a 2011 legion import. he looked inside the gas block and saw 4 ports of good size, and a barrel hood that had a tab where we normally extend them. it also had the plastic thread protector. anyone else seen this?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just picked mine up after my manditory 7 day "cooling off" wait in MD.   19" barrel with plastic thread protector. Extended hood.   Legion USA Inc. It has the side rail mount.     2011

I want to make a correction, my new Saiga-12 has four ports not three. I noticed a fourth port upon closer inspection with a small mirror inside the gas block. The fourth gas port is obstructed by the

It is good to see that they are trying to improve the platform and maybe they won't need much work, if anything at all, to run reliably off of affordable blasting ammo after being converted. I don't s

Posted Images

But, did it have the side rail scope mount?

Just curious after that one ass came in screaming about a S12s being banned and then saying they weren't being allowed with side mounts any longer.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/69548-ban-is-in-effect/page__p__675060__hl__chicken__fromsearch__1#entry675060

Edited by ChileRelleno

a family member of mine was recently in a gun shop and saw a 2011 legion import. he looked inside the gas block and saw 4 ports of good size, and a barrel hood that had a tab where we normally extend them. it also had the plastic thread protector. anyone else seen this?

I'd like to see a pic of the barrel hood clip.

Also, I wonder if it's a factory thing with the 4 ports, or if the importer's doing it to avoid warranty issues.

That's happened before.

Warranty clashes are happening currently as evidenced by Tom Cole of Cadiz just announcing he'll no longer be doing warranty repairs.

Hopefully if it is, they're only adding 1 small port.

If they're turning out overgassed guns that'll fire low brass on setting 1, well, that's just messed up & we'll be seeing many more "my carrier cracked" threads from the guys who primarily shoot effective (high brass & magnum) ammo out of their weapons.

I'd like to see a pic of the barrel hood clip.

Also, I wonder if it's a factory thing with the 4 ports, or if the importer's doing it to avoid warranty issues.

That's happened before.

Warranty clashes are happening currently as evidenced by Tom Cole of Cadiz just announcing he'll no longer be doing warranty repairs.

Hopefully if it is, they're only adding 1 small port.

If they're turning out overgassed guns that'll fire low brass on setting 1, well, that's just messed up & we'll be seeing many more "my carrier cracked" threads from the guys who primarily shoot effective (high brass & magnum) ammo out of their weapons.

dunno about whos adding the 4th port, but ill ask if he can get a pic of the barrel hood.

It is good to see that they are trying to improve the platform and maybe they won't need much work, if anything at all, to run reliably off of affordable blasting ammo after being converted. I don't subscribe to the "overgassed" school of thought, but if we all agreed.... this place would be really boring ;)

• Like 3

I have converted a few Legion Saiga 12s as of late. Outside of the plastic thread protector on the barrel there have been no apparent changes on the ones I have had. 3 ports without being obstructed by the gas block and good alignment (so far).

As long as the gun is chambered for 3" shells, the barrel hood dimension is going to remain the same length.

I have noticed more so of lately there is too much clearance between the piston and the clean out plug, approximately .230 short in relation to the over all system dimensions, which takes away .200 of effective/positive travel of the op rod/piston. I maintain .050 between the piston and the plug when it is screwed all the way in so the op rod is not beating itself against the puck/piston when it is in the "in battery" position, also insuring the ports are not obstructed by the clean out plug.

Machining the extended Piston/Puck (to required over all length) such as the CSS has greatly improved the efficiency of the system and brought the piston, op rod, clean out plug tolerances back to my spec.

Jack

Hello,

I'm new here and just saw this thread. Ya'll have me worried! I have a new Legion Import that I just got from CSS. It has 4 holes, a plastic thread protector and a scope rail. It will fire low brass on setting one. Should I be concerned? Would a V-Plug or Auto Plug help me if it's over gassed?

Thanks in advance for any info.

• Like 1

Low brass is not very definitive for more or less powerful shot shells.

There are some very high velocity "Low Brass" shot shells out there which will operate the shotgun effectively on setting 1.

What is the velocity and shot weight of the low brass you shot through the shotgun?

If it will cycle a 1 1/8 oz load at less than 1250 fps then you need to be concerned or not. Depends what you want the gun for and what you plan to shoot through it.

Jack

Hello,

I'm new here and just saw this thread. Ya'll have me worried! I have a new Legion Import that I just got from CSS. It has 4 holes, a plastic thread protector and a scope rail. It will fire low brass on setting one. Should I be concerned? Would a V-Plug or Auto Plug help me if it's over gassed?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Just doublechecking, this is a 2011 import, right? Also, if it is, could you post a picture of the barrel hood?

I bought it last month, but I will look at the papers that came with it to see what the date of manufacture is and get back with you.

I intend this to be primarily a HD gun, but also want to be able to have fun too - so I need it to handle cheap target loads and 00 buck. So far I have fired around 80 rounds of assorted Winchester low brass 1-1/8 oz target loads and winchester high brass 9 pellet 00 buck loads. The gun did not skip a beat with any of them.

I bought it last month, but I will look at the papers that came with it to see what the date of manufacture is and get back with you.

I intend this to be primarily a HD gun, but also want to be able to have fun too - so I need it to handle cheap target loads and 00 buck. So far I have fired around 80 rounds of assorted Winchester low brass 1-1/8 oz target loads and winchester high brass 9 pellet 00 buck loads. The gun did not skip a beat with any of them.

Just looked at the inspection sheet that came with the gun. It was dated 05/31/2011.

sweet.

which pic does the barrel hood resemble?

pic 1:

post-22401-0-24181400-1311862574_thumb.jpg

pic 2:

post-22401-0-08635000-1311862623_thumb.jpg

im borrowing evl's pics for this, cause they are up close and detailed and he did a great job modding his gun.

Edited by yooper14.5
  • Like 1

What is the velocity of the loads? It should be on the box.

Jack

It looks like the lower picture. What is the signifigance?

everything. it means the russians improved the design from the factory, so we never get jams on the barrel hood wit 2 3/4 inch shells. thanks for taking the time to post.

heres a good pic to show you how the longer barrel hood prevents 2 3/4 in shells from jaming on the barrel hood. thanks again evl. 021.gif

post-22401-0-24867600-1311862671_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The pics are to large to load!? Sorry, I'm not much of a computer/tech guru! Is there another way?

I can see how that extra material would be a great help in feeding - thanks for the pics you posted.

As for the type of rounds, I shot up all the ammo and threw out the empty boxes. I believe they were Winchester Super Target 1-1/8 oz, maybe three dram? I don't believe it was high velocity - just cheap target loads.

everything. it means the russians improved the design from the factory, so we never get jams on the barrel hood wit 2 3/4 inch shells. thanks for taking the time to post.

heres a good pic to show you how the longer barrel hood prevents 2 3/4 in shells from jaming on the barrel hood. thanks again evl. 021.gif

The guns are still set up for 3 inch shells, so the barrel hood can not be lengthened or the 3 inch shells won't eject. It would have to be set up and chambered for 2 3/4 inch shells only to make this modification/improvement to the barrel hood.

Jack

U

The guns are still set up for 3 inch shells, so the barrel hood can not be lengthened or the 3 inch shells won't eject. It would have to be set up and chambered for 2 3/4 inch shells only to make this modification/improvement to the barrel hood.

Jack

After looking at my gun, I see exactly what your saying. theres no way a 3 inch shell could eject with a extension. But something has still apparently changed. Question is, what?

werra, if the pic is too big, you might be able to go to"save as", re save the picture, but knock the quality down in the options before you save it.

Edited by yooper14.5

I have not tried 3" shells yet. I am afraid to if it is over gassed! Will the auto plug or V-plug "gass it down" safely? How should I correct this problem. Is there a way to confirm if I really do infact have an overgassed gun??

Both plugs will do good, just remember the autoplug can't run 3" magnums.