My New plain Jane S12 converstion

Well I take my plain little converted Saiga 12 and did some mods :super: So here it is. I added an ACE folding Mechanism with the cut the dang tang reciever block. Then I modded a regular handguard to fit. I made a custom lower handguard retainer. I also cut the barrel to 19".

post-1262-1122553028_thumb.jpg

Here it is folded

post-1262-1122553055_thumb.jpg

Here is a close up of my custom retainer made from a regular retainer and I ground down the tang from my reciever and welded it to it. It still needs a bit of cleaning up and to be painted

post-1262-1122553096_thumb.jpg

and from the side.

post-1262-1122553118_thumb.jpg

The upper handguard still needs to be secured I'm working on that yet. Still have a few more things I want to do, Like have a poly choke installed.

Question:  Did you consider the krinkov forearm retainer?  Would it work better?

http://www.k-var.com/product.asp?0=216&1=258&3=571

Does that retainer fit a standard AK handguard? if it does then yes that would be a good alternative. Although its a little rich for my blood especially to hack up.

What's different about the krink that makes it more user friendly? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but I thought all the 7.62 barrel diameters were so small that by the time you open them up it doesn't leave much to work with. Is the Krink retainer different? I know some had mentioned using RPK's due to the larger barrel. I used a standard Romanian that required mig welding 2 small holes shut before I opened up the hole for the barrel, havent decided on how to attach to the gas block. I used a modified version of Cobra's idea on my upper. Anyway, if I'm missing something, fill me in.

What's different about the krink that makes it more user friendly? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but I thought all the 7.62 barrel diameters were so small that by the time you open them up it doesn't leave much to work with. Is the Krink retainer different? I know some had mentioned using RPK's due to the larger barrel. I used a standard Romanian that required mig welding 2 small holes shut before I opened up the hole for the barrel, havent decided on how to attach to the gas block. I used a modified version of Cobra's idea on my upper. Anyway, if I'm missing something, fill me in.

I'm thinking he thought that would be better becuae its more round and easier to fit around the barrel? Not sure, but I do know I wasnt about to spend $40 on something I was going to hack into pieces. I got my Gas tube and retainer from rick 16 for $25 shipped so I wasnt going to argue there.

I like the Bulgie one. It's plenty strong after removing for the bbl., has a side sling loop, and it was only about 18 bucks if I recall.

I am usure of the orgin of my retainer but I will say that my bottom handguard is Rock solid. That thing wont go anywhere :smoke:

Well I take my plain little converted Saiga 12 and did some mods  :super:  So here it is. I added an ACE folding Mechanism with the cut the dang tang reciever block. Then I modded a regular handguard to fit. I made a custom lower handguard retainer. I also cut the barrel to 19".

post-1262-1122553028_thumb.jpg

Here it is folded

post-1262-1122553055_thumb.jpg

Here is a close up of my custom retainer made from a regular retainer and I ground down the tang from my reciever and welded it to it. It still needs a bit of cleaning up and to be painted

post-1262-1122553096_thumb.jpg

and from the side.

post-1262-1122553118_thumb.jpg

The upper handguard still needs to be secured I'm working on that yet. Still have a few more things I want to do, Like have a poly choke installed.

Wow! What a beauty! I am in awe. :super:

the heavy retainer for the tapco saiga 308 galil stock works well, it is very heavy and has room for opening up. mine is going on an s20, but still has to be opened up. it's going to be mostly cosmetic as i am using a piece of sheet metal to attach the handguard to the sling screw hole. i am also cutting a notch into a rail to also mount a light to the bottom of the gas block as in my previous photos.

pat

it's going to be mostly cosmetic as i am using a piece of sheet metal to attach the handguard to the sling screw hole. 

pat

I used sheet metal on my first attempt to fabricate a handguard-to-sling screw hole piece. I found after about 15 slugs it was buckling under the recoil so I replaced it with a thicker piece of mild steel.

Steve

the heavy retainer for the tapco saiga 308 galil stock works well, it is very heavy and has room for opening up.  mine is going on an s20, but still has to be opened up.  it's going to be mostly cosmetic as i am using a piece of sheet metal to attach the handguard to the sling screw hole.  i am also cutting a notch into a rail to also mount a light to the bottom of the gas block as in my previous photos.

pat

Tapco makes something specifically for the S-308? Please explain.

they just released it, i got it from blackjack. it's a redesigned galil handguard with a metal insert in the reciever tang, to take a screw into the reciever. also has a thick steel retainer ring to mate with the front.

ask blackjack

pat

Edited by detpat