ulyanovsk is mildly corrosive

I have not cleaned the gas tube in my rifle in a couple of months and decided to clean it tonight, after getting it off and inspecting it I noticed some very tiny spots of rust inside the gas tube, I only shoot ulyanovsk right now. I know it says non-corrosive, the rust was very very small spots, no pitting or anything like that but it just goes to show you should always clean your rifle top to bottom whether you think you should or not. lesson learned here.

It was not anything to freak over but just light tiny rust spots near front of gas tube the back was still clean. I wonder if maybe it would be good to clean the inside of the gas tube up and paint it with some ceramic engine paint.

Thinking about switching over to brown bear or golden tiger I have heard it is a little better made than uly or tula.

Edited by dashowdy

I don't think changing ammo will help your situation with rusting really. If you want steel to look new all the time you need to keep it clean. It's an ak It would probably function fine with the gas tube caked with rust as long as nothing got jammed in the gas port. But if you want it to look

nice and be a guarunteed dependable rifle then more than monthly cleanings are neccesarry. My

Rule with everything has always been shoot it that day, clean it that day. JMO

Edited by hutchsaiga

If its ComBloc, consider it corrosive.

I'm sorry, what exactly is combloc refering to?

ComBloc, Communist Bloc Countries, current or former communist countries, primarily of Eastern & Central Europe that were associated with the USSR & Warsaw Pact.

Ammunition from those countries shared many similarities, e.g. steel or bi-metal cases, lacquered cases, corrosive primers, high powder/carbon residue and etc.

I lump it all, Tula, Uly, Wolf, Golden & Silver Bear and etc, into the corrosive category, regardless of manufacture dates.

Saves me any trouble trying to remember if it is or not, just clean asap and it doesn't matter.

Is this ammo corrosive?

.223 : Probably not - I've never heard of corrosive .223 from the ComBloc ammo manufacturers.

7.62x39 : If it's new production, then I would say NOT corrosive. Surplus ammo tends to be older and usually has corrosive primers. Pretty much anything from the 70s or earlier is bound to be corrosive. The shiny Yugo brass cased surplus is corrosive.

7.62x54R : Pretty much the same story as 7.62x39. The older surplus is sure to be corrosive, while new boxed ammo is most likely not

5.45x39 : See 7.62x54R. The Bulgarian and Russian 7N6 surplus commonly found is corrosive. Boxed 5.45 of newer production isn't.

It usually comes down to primer age. Corrosive primers fell out of favor by the 1980s, so you can use that as a rough guideline as to whether or not ammo is corrosive.

Edited by ChileRelleno

I never clean immediately if shooting commercial ammo. Let my MAK sit for a year without cleaning it, after shooting wolf ammo. Nothing happened. Not saying its impossible to get rustbut from combloc commercial ammo. Just stating my experience.

I never clean immediately if shooting commercial ammo. Let my MAK sit for a year without cleaning it, after shooting wolf ammo. Nothing happened. Not saying its impossible to get rustbut from combloc commercial ammo. Just stating my experience.

The ComBloc ammo that is likely to be corrosive is the MilSurp due to its age, not the Commercial offerings.

But like I said, I lump it all together and clean asap... Just my SOP.

My S12, ARs and other firearms can sit for quite awhile sometimes before being cleaned.

I'll clean mine every couple of range trips(usually twice a month lately) or if it's gonna sit in the safe awhile. But Chile has a point since you never know when lifve will hit you and you just forget for longer than you should have.

Had the same thing happen to me. Got a great deal a year ago on about 2k rnds of uly... so it was my go to for shooting for a while. I'd clean after about every 2 or 3 outings and never had an issue. After using the uly for a couple months I noticed it.