Broken bolt carrier

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Generally the heat treating process is easy to control during the manufacture process of parts and without a Rockwell Hardness Tester you don't have a clue.   The primary reason for the failure rate

Looks like that has been Bubba'd. The end is broken at a thread, the metal was over hardened and is quite brittle. Heat it red and let it air cool before you work on it, that will detemper the metal a

5000 rounds is very small. I have one gun 20 000 rounds and no such problem. The history of breakdowns can be found here: http://talks.guns.ru/forummessage/48/773172.html

Posted Images

If you're going to try to weld it, I'd use 4130 rod (TIG weld it or if you're really good Stick weld it, but TIG would be better because it should be pre-heated. MIG doesn't penetrate well enough & gas will not oxidize the 30-XPA chrome-manganese steel well enough for proper fusion.), then heat it to 1150 degrees (mapp gas or oxy-gas tourch & use a temp-stick to tell you you're there) & quench in an alkaline solution.

Google how to make water alkaline.

grind down through about 1/2 way through the steel to ensure penetration, or crank up the amps. You want to ensure 100% penetration.

Also, I'd remove the op-rod before welding; http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/71772-how-to-install-a-tom-cole-heavy-duty-op-rod/page__view__findpost__p__697399

You can clean the threads afterward with an M12x1.25 tap.

I've done some carrier & bolt repairs, but this isn't something I'd be interested in having a hand in due to the lower crack & liability issues.

I'd check if it's covered under warranty before you do anything.

Good luck brother..

BTW,

How big are your ports, did you mess up & fire high brass on setting 2?

There have been cases of gasses rising during the steel manufacture which can cause gaseous pockest, so it may be covered under warranty.

The couple recent threads that have popped up really have me considering an auto plug. Can anybody state whether this is user error or maybe just a bad batch of carriers?

While I think the Autoplug is a awesome piece of equipment and all of my Saigas including my race gun have one, I don't think this is anything but a defective bolt carrier. Normal operation should see these last a long long time. I have well over 5000 rounds through 2 of my 3 Saigas and haven't seen these kinds of issues.

Looks like that has been Bubba'd. The end is broken at a thread, the metal was over hardened and is quite brittle. Heat it red and let it air cool before you work on it, that will detemper the metal and make it soft enough to work on.If you can, screw a copper or carbon screw in before welding. That will save the threads. You may have to thread a copper rod, but that is the easiest part.

• Like 1

Ok thats allot of info let me see, I never used High brass or buckshot in the gun. slug I load my self have the same recoil as the winchester dubble A 1300 fs.

I have the auto plug from TAC-47 installed.

Ports are modified by Robert Wright

I bought the gun last year about July 2010 wrealy don't know about the nipple.

If it was under warranty were do I claim this?

Also can you buy this part??

Thanks for all your help every body.

Adriaan

Ok thats allot of info let me see, I never used High brass or buckshot in the gun. slug I load my self have the same recoil as the winchester dubble A 1300 fs.

Adriaan

Was/is this an R&R competition Saiga with the shortened gas system/mid length brake etc? If it is, I am pretty sure I can explain why the carrier broke.

Jack

Adriaan

Was/is this an R&R competition Saiga with the shortened gas system/mid length brake etc? If it is, I am pretty sure I can explain why the carrier broke.

Jack

Never mind, I looked at the pic of the broken carrier/op rod and it is a stock op rod.

Jack

Just to make sure, could you post a pic of the shotgun? That kind of damage of the carrier is generally from either battering or deflection. Boring night, just curious. I see your profile pic is of someone shooting competition.

Yes it is a competition shotgun, we shoot shotgun every thursday at the WAC in Florida.

Plus all the 2gun 3gun's we shoot in this area.

It has a stock length gas system, so the problem wouldn't be from deflection. Could just be plain old metal fatigue. Good luck finding a replacement carrier, they are not readily available.

Jack

I have this gun for 1 year only comp. ammo is used I would estemate 4000/5000 rounds.

75 to 100 rounds a week.

5000 rounds is very small. I have one

gun 20 000 rounds and no such

problem.

The history of breakdowns can be

found here:

http://talks.guns.ru/forummessage/48/773172.html

Edited by Sergii
  • Like 1

OK thanks guy's going to weld it as pauly explained

Adriaan

Well, be careful, & that's not your HD gun any longer I hope.

Or you could make lemonade out of lemons;

If you ever thought about making an 8" SBS, now would certainly be the time.

Just ditch the op-rod, build up the end of the carrier, have a ramp on the dustcover allowing it to get in the gas tube without slamming into the rear sight block & move the gas system way the heck back.

Got lathe?

If it's large enough, you don't even need to press out the barrel.

Just use a good steadyrest & let the receiver spin

Here's Bob & Tony's SBS Technical Info Thread if you're up for a project, or you could try moving the gas system way back & adding a mid barrel comp. smile.png

Either way you could be more confident in that carrier than you would be with that lower crack having ever been there.

That shit's just ugly.