So I only have (1) firearm right now, which is my Saiga-12. My "gun budget" has about $750 in it right now and I'm debating using it to continue modifying and improving the S12, or buying a handgun. The handgun I'm interested in is a Springfield xd-M 9mm (19+1 !!) Which would you suggest? Either way I'm also purchasing a Walther P22 for the wife, which doesn't come out of the 'gun budget'.

Right now here's what my S12 looks like right now..

Saiga 12

- Converted and gas ports opened up a bit

- CSS performance puck

- Gunfixers plug

- Titan Quad Rail

- HK sights

- Magpul CTR adjustable stock & adapter

- Molot GK-01 Muzzle Brake Compensator

- (2) 10 round magpro magazines

- (1) MD-20 Drum

- Magpul Angled Foregrip

- RAM extended magazine release

- Tromix Heavy Hitter firing pin

IMAG1007.jpg

Other modifications I could do is get bolt polished by pauly, Izmash 8 round magazine, left side charging handle added, red dot, etc etc.. the list goes on forever I guess.

So do I put my $700+ further into my S12, or buy the XD-M?

you could buy my .223 greedy.gif , just kidding. Are you happy with the way your S12 is? If you are, why put more $ into it. Maybe ammo. or for sure an XD-M. Its always good to have a pistola around.

ETA: nice muzzle comp btw. I have one just like it!

Edited by AZG

While I wouldn't get an XD, more power to you if that is what you want. So if you have $750 you can get an XD-m ($550 with shipping/receiving) and some more Saiga 12 Magazines. It looks like you are dangerously low on magazines and ammo!

== Nothing against Springfield or XD's they just don't feel right to me, as I am a GLOCK ENTHUSIAST!!super_man.gif

• Like 1

I would day go for the pistol. Having owned an xdm .40 and a glock 27 (carry) it's really a tossup. I love the xdm. I also love the glick though. Next on my last is a 1911 :) If your want full size I'd say the xdm. If you want a compact I'd go glock.

Edited by Rctreadaway

Your saiga could use some good 10 round mags (not promag) or 8 round izzys. People often overbuy guns and underbuy ammo, so be sure to stock up before getting another mouth to feed, thats like getting pregnant when your one year old is starving.

Everyone needs a pistol, but look into something you can actually conceal or you'll keep buying smaller and smaller until you can actually carry it (if you plan to) otherwise I would only question your choice based on my biases and preferences (XD isn't on the short or long list for me) but thats subjective. Take a long look at the walther PPQ the sig 2022, glocks, and M&Ps I handle a ton of handguns and prefer all said options to the XD but again its personal preference, don't get me wrong XDs have served many well but take a look at some alternative before you commit to this important decision, your only real pistol .

If the S-12 is your only firearm, I'd go with a pistol for the next. Nobody has suggested this yet, but you should take a look at the FNP-9. I have one that is my every day carry pistol. I've put a lot of rounds through it, ball and hollow points, and never had a failure. As others have said before me, it's all personal preference. This is just mine. I also have a Colt New Agent in .45 cal. It's a great shooter as well. For your $750 you could get the FN and a decent amount of ammo for it and for the S-12.

• Like 1

What is it about the XDM that you dont like? I shot a few glocks and didn't like how they felt in my hand, but I do like that they're supposed to be so reliable. I haven't fired a H&K, FNG, Walther, or Sig yet. I guess I'll have to rent a few at the range before making the purchase.

What is it about the XDM that you dont like? I shot a few glocks and didn't like how they felt in my hand, but I do like that they're supposed to be so reliable. I haven't fired a H&K, FNG, Walther, or Sig yet. I guess I'll have to rent a few at the range before making the purchase.

With my pistol choices, it's mostly been the in hand comfort. I'm not a fan of how XD's feel. Same goes for Glocks. Im also not a fan of striker fired pistols. I like the external hammer. Not saying that these aren't fine guns. If you can shoot a few, that would be the best way to decide. If you were close to me, I'd offer to let you try mine.

i have a glock 23, sig 226, desert eagle and a fnp 45. out of all of them, the sig feels best in the hand, easily. its pricey though. just get what you want. but bang for your buck, FN is hard to beat. its all about preference. cuz YOU will be the one to shoot and carry it. not us.

Get a Glock and have the grip modified to your likeing (or save a bunch of cash and do it yourself).

Forget the handgun for now. What you need are more box mags for your Saiga 12, plus a whole lot more ammo. How about starting up with sporting clays to get the feel of your Russian adopted daughter? HB of CJ (old coot) (Saiga 12 SBS with 15 10 rd box mags) (all NFA rules apply)

I dont really understand the whole million box mag thing.. I really only use 2 of the 4 box mags and none have ever had any issues.. it just seems like I'd be wasting money buying a ton of box mags that are just going to sit there. I guess the idea is that if they ever become unavailable you'd have tons of them, but it still seems like overkill. I'm just trying to think of how many shots I can realistically get out of each mag.. I've put ~400 through my 5 rounder, and I'm sure it'll last far beyond what it has already.. say it'll fail at 1500? That means I have 6,000 rounds with my 4 magazines.. I can't imagine needing to fire that many rounds.. Thoughts?

I'm leaning towards XDM .45 compact, but am also looking into the FN 45 and Glock as suggested above.

I dont really understand the whole million box mag thing.. I really only use 2 of the 4 box mags and none have ever had any issues.. it just seems like I'd be wasting money buying a ton of box mags that are just going to sit there. I guess the idea is that if they ever become unavailable you'd have tons of them, but it still seems like overkill. I'm just trying to think of how many shots I can realistically get out of each mag.. I've put ~400 through my 5 rounder, and I'm sure it'll last far beyond what it has already.. say it'll fail at 1500? That means I have 6,000 rounds with my 4 magazines.. I can't imagine needing to fire that many rounds.. Thoughts?

I'm leaning towards XDM .45 compact, but am also looking into the FN 45 and Glock as suggested above.

The FN 45 is very nice. Especially the tactical model with threaded barrel and red dot mount. Not that I'd really have much use for those features... Still looks cool.

I'll throw my two cents in since you asked.

My Walther was a real piece of crap compared to the Ruger Mark II that replaced it. At first it was very picky as to what ammo it would feed properly, then when it broke in, you could only achieve a good group using green tag. The weight (fake compensator) had set pins that constantly backed out and required lock tight. The sights are cheap plastic that will wear down and mar from normal carry and practice. The magazines wear out quickly if you shoot a few hundred rounds out of it weekly. The target barrel of the Ruger will also cut down on felt recoil to almost nothing. A great way to desensitize her. Once my wife was comfortable with that, I got her a GP100 357mag using .38spl rounds that barely kicked. This way she focused on accuracy and not the bang!

The springfield comes with a lot of nice stuff. It's a good weapon. Depending on what you use it for, I would consider a glock. Lots of fun stuff you can do to a glock in seconds. I love the ghost trigger packs! Magazine capacity is not an issue and mags are really cheap!

Your saiga looks really well set up! All you need now is a good sling to hump that thing around with all day! check out this one! LOVE IT! http://www.aresarmor.com/install/ecom-prodshow/aahuskey2pt.html

Another thing my wife really liked was her own ear plugs and not the foam disposable type. Surefire makes some really nice ones that you can plug up all the way for magnums and have open for .22 and stuff while still having a conversation. You can even insert your communications tube from a radio in them!

Best of luck! RAD SAIGA!

Nick

I personally love Glocks, but you need to get something that is comfortable in your hands that you will want to shoot religiously.

My only beef with the XD series is that the grip safety needs to be depressed to rack the slide. This design flaw makes it require two hands to operate the gun if you have a Failure to Fire or you need to chamber from a closed slide. Other than that, they are good guns.

Regarding the magazine issue, if you train off of Magpul DVD's you will need several thousand rounds and at least 50 magazines just to make it across the street in your neighborhood (Oh my god! BD just blasphemed the church of Travis Haley and Chris Costa, let the negging begin!). 000.gif

IMO, Having 4 good mags per weapon (along with proper trigger discipline) is all you need unless you plan on going to war or the zombies are swarming your house. If you plan on dumping a minimum of 200 rounds into each and every target, then you may need to buy some more Magpul DVD's and a lot of ammo, magazines and gun barrels.

• Like 2

I personally love Glocks, but you need to get something that is comfortable in your hands that you will want to shoot religiously.

My only beef with the XD series is that the grip safety needs to be depressed to rack the slide. This design flaw makes it require two hands to operate the gun if you have a Failure to Fire or you need to chamber from a closed slide. Other than that, they are good guns.

Regarding the magazine issue, if you train off of Magpul DVD's you will need several thousand rounds and at least 50 magazines just to make it across the street in your neighborhood (Oh my god! BD just blasphemed the church of Travis Haley and Chris Costa, let the negging begin!). 000.gif

IMO, Having 4 good mags per weapon (along with proper trigger discipline) is all you need unless you plan on going to war or the zombies are swarming your house. If you plan on dumping a minimum of 200 rounds into each and every target, then you may need to buy some more Magpul DVD's and a lot of ammo, magazines and gun barrels.

Lmao!!! I walked in a gun store today and they were playing those magpul DVDs! Had to stand and watch cause chris's facial expression looked like he was constipated, while crossing the street demonstrating 10 failures of an AR.

Sucks that you had a bad experience with the walther. Mine, luckily, hasn't had any problems save for the occasional bad round from a bulk pack. I heard that the early P22 was plagued with issues.

Could be it. I have a friend with a new green one that works fine. We can knock the hair off a fly's nuts at 35 yards standing with the ruger government target model. No way could the walther do that. The trigger really sucked on it as well. Racking it was strange. The mag was nice and the sights were crisp but dainty. It gummed up much faster.

Smith SCREWED Walther.