$10 Homemade adjustable tactical long gun rack

I could not find an inexpensive table top gun rack that would handle tactical long guns well. They have so many variations in size and shape they just do not fit into normal racks. Also the pistol grips stick down too far for putting another rifle below in a regular rack. Because of the size and shape problems I knew I would need something adjustable. Because of the cheap problem (me), I needed something inexpensive, and because I live in an apartment it needed to be accomplished with simple hand tools.

I say $10 dollars in the title, but that is just a guess. I built this one with stuff I already had lying around so it didn't cost anything. I built this one out of the following components:

24" - 2X6 (If I make another one I will use a 2X8 to make it a bit more steady.)

48" - 3/4" dowel cut in 2 - 24" pieces (If I make another one I will use a 1" dowel.)

30" - 3/8" dowel cut into 6- 5" pieces

any kind of strong wrapping cord you wish.

(Note: I chose a 24" board as that is what worked for my three present rifles. It could be longer or shorter to fit your needs without changing the general idea of the rack build.)

This is how it looks when complete.

stand loaded

It is adjustable because the small dowel pegs are just wrapped onto the larger dowel. When you push them down into position to accept the gun the tension makes the wrapping tight and the peg does not move. The heavier the rifle, the stronger the tension. I put three wrapped pegs on each vertical for three rifles. You just swivel the peg up vertical and parallel to the larger dowel and slide the peg and wrap into position. Very few tactical rifles will have their support pegs at the same level.

stand single Peg 2

stand single Peg

stand three pegs

Drill two holes in the wood base to insert your large dowels. These two holes should be in the back corner of the board about an inch and a half from the back and an inch from the side. This allows the board to act as a counter support for the weight of the rifles just as your feet keep you from falling on your face. (Well most of the time anyway!)

To wrap the pegs you place the small peg parallel to the large dowel and scotch tape them together. Leave a long tail sticking up to tie the knot once the wrap is finished. Wrap the cord tightly around the dowel, peg and cord tail starting at the bottom of the cord tail and moving upwards for about five wraps. Pull the wrap tight and tie the two ends of the cord together tightly. Remove the tape and adjust the peg into position. I leave about 1/2" of peg sticking out the bottom of the wrap. Tilt the pegs out at an angle and place your rifle in the notch. Move the peg up and down so your rifle is level in the rack.

If your peg goes down past 45 degrees or so you did not wrap tightly enough. If it does not go down enough you used too strong a cord or did two many wraps. Experiment a little with the material you select and you will figure out the optimum configuration.

This same rack could be converted to a wall mount by putting another board on the top to match the bottom and then securing it to the wall. You could use 1X4's screwed to the back of the 2X6's and then secure the 1X4's to the wall. No need for the larger board and dowel for the wall mount as it would be held up by the support of the wall. You would then have a fully adjustable tactical rifle wall rack.

stand empty

• Like 2

It only "works" because somebody hasn't knocked it over yet, which is what this is just screaming for. I'll give you a A for enthusiasm but this just looks flimsy, topheavy, and unstable. If you only want to spend ten dollars get two pine boards and jigsaw out any shaped recess you want. Then mount them to studs on your wall so everything is solid and you don't have your guns falling all over.

It only "works" because somebody hasn't knocked it over yet, which is what this is just screaming for. I'll give you a A for enthusiasm but this just looks flimsy, topheavy, and unstable. If you only want to spend ten dollars get two pine boards and jigsaw out any shaped recess you want. Then mount them to studs on your wall so everything is solid and you don't have your guns falling all over.

Agreed. There is NOTHING wrong with experimenting and working with what ya got and I applaud you for trying but this is just asking to get your rifles damaged,scratched,etc.

If you want something on the cheap I found those rubber coated extension cord hangars to work quite well screwed into a wall or into a vertical stand. Or save your pennies and buy a real one...

Will one you guys above please provide your prototypes for this type of weapons rack, or please point me in the direction of one that is in production and I can purchase? If not your negative answers have not added anything to this thread.

Bigsteel - Correct, but I can actually grab each of these off the rack without turning it over. And it is the wienie version WVA1. The natural spring from the windings does not interact with the main rack like you would think. The suggested beefed up version might even be more stout (but I have not tried it.) Going to the 2X8 might make it even more drama proof. I built this to hold my rifles in the shop when I am working with them. Otherwise they were lying all over because they would not fit in a regular rack.

All those with better plans or improvements please speak up. Anyone who knows of something like this in production one can buy please post this information. I can not find it. Thanks!

(Note: Thomas Edison tried 1000 light bulbs before he figured it out. He always said that the most important part was that he did not do it alone.)

Good job, I enjoy peoples diy projects. So long as it works for you there's no issue.

Just a question, are you guys in states permitted to just hang your rifles on the wall??? Over here I'd be drawn and quatered and would never be allowed to own another gun ever again. Wish I could hang my stuff up :)

Good job, I enjoy peoples diy projects. So long as it works for you there's no issue.

Just a question, are you guys in states permitted to just hang your rifles on the wall??? Over here I'd be drawn and quatered and would never be allowed to own another gun ever again. Wish I could hang my stuff up smile.png

In most states its no problem at all. California and a couple of others I believe require guns to be locked in approved containers when not in use, I believe.

Just a question, are you guys in states permitted to just hang your rifles on the wall??? Over here I'd be drawn and quatered and would never be allowed to own another gun ever again. Wish I could hang my stuff up smile.png

In most states its no problem at all. California and a couple of others I believe require guns to be locked in approved containers when not in use, I believe.

i dont think any us state requires that, that guy is in south africa

i dont think any us state requires that, that guy is in south africa

I got that, hence why he was asking about us in the states.

Maybe I'm just thinking about Canada, but I thought some of those communist states like California and Massachusetts had similar storage or trigger lock requirements... maybe someone in those states can share some firsthand knowledge. Might as well derail the thread into something useful 000.gif

johnboatcat - nice pictorial, but you had to expect a bit of a hassle if you post that up.

If it works for you good. The guys are right about flimsiness, but they didn't get your point about lack of tools and being in an apartment.

I think a heavier base and a 2x8 could have served better. You can get rubber coated bike hooks at the dollars store for something like 3/$1.

If you drilled holes just a little smaller than the hooks. they would screw in snug but be easily movable up or down a hole to keep your adaptability.

Half of us keep a shotty under the bed. Burglars go straight to the back of the closet, and under the bed, so displaying them on the kitchen table can't be any worse. I don't see any reason to hassle you about that. You should be able to get a cheap 8 gun cabinet on sale for ~$80 if you keep an eye on the ads, so this can serve you for the time being. Gun forums are populated by military guys with all their major expenses covered and disposable income, men who are at or near retirement, and so forth. Its easy for them to forget what it is like to choose between going shooting for the month and having a fancy rack.

i like it, plenty can be learned from trying things out, also working with limited tools means things have to be built in unconventional ways. and as others have stated that is a great pictorial.i cant take good photos or even make the writing appear next to the photo the way i want it?

another thing i like is people making things with little or no pre concieved ideas on how it should be done, new things and techniques get invented by people "giving it a go"

if i was presented with your pile of raw materials and told to build a gun rack i would never though of tying the pegs on, proably would have given up! keep thinking outside the square

• Like 1

Nice job, you are right that no one makes an assualt rifle rack. I would suggest you take a look here

These racks are for swords, however the design may offer a little more stability. And always remember, if it makes you happy, it does not matter what others say.....

Edited by Dad2142Dad

This is about as simple and inexpensive as it gets for making a solid gun rack. Please note that this is made to hang on a wall over at least one stud. If you want it to stand on it's own you would need a very wide base. The side rails are not complicated, just jigsaw them out any size and shape you want for each individual gun. You said you had a shop so I assume you have some basic tools. I wasn't trying to be insulting but I assumed you were looking for honest opinions. Sometimes those aren't always favorable.

Gunrack.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Dad. Good idea on sword racks. It was my first try. After trying two I quickly found out that they would not work for more than one rifle and at that the rifle would not mount level most of the time. The slots are sword size and would not accommodate a rifle well.

Thanks everyone else for the input. My shop is the kitchen. When cleaning time comes the pots are put away and the tools that come out must be light and portable. As I said if I did it again I would go heavier on the materials, but this one actually works fine for my purposes.

Dog that rack looks like it would work fine as it seems to be an expanded version of a normal rifle rack. I could find nothing like it with a bunch of Google time. Did you make it? If I had a nice shop like yours instead of the kitchen and a drill I would give it a try. Thanks again!

PS - Anyone need a used sword rack or two?

Edited by johnboatcat

The rack I made stores my rifles vertically with the buttstocks on the floor. It is basically a 2x4 shelf with notches cut into it where the barrels rest, at about 30" up from the floor. Simple and clean. Just screw the shelf into studs.

The more you post here the more you will realize that our "Non-constructive" replies are all in good fun!! And really, if you step back from that rack and really look at it, it kinda does make ya chuckle a bit!!big_smile.gif

Are you displaying them for burglars?

+1. .... my advice get a safe, and take those sticks and chuck in the fire place. all you're doing there is making it easy for anybody to come in and carry out your guns. then we'll see a thread started by you crying that someone stole your guns.

for every one person that knows you have a gun, that amount goes up exponentially as they tell someone else, then they tell someone else etc

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

If you're worried about theft, an electric fence charger run through all the trigger guards would sure slow things down!

...just don't forget it's on!

Edited by patriot
  • Like 1

"my advice get a safe"

Why would I need another safe?

As I said above this was built to hold guns while I am cleaning/working with them in my kitchen/shop. Don't plan to display them in the front window of the living room. When not using it I just pull the dowels out and it stores nicely in a drawer.

I will take a pic of mine here this evening and post it for you, it may be a suitable easy way for you to go. I made mine for storing guns at my cleaning bench as well, and it works great.

edit: mine is NOT Tactical at all!!! Thank the Baby Jesus!!

Edited by RobRez