21 members have voted

1. 1. Comical or Badass?

• Comical
    • Badass

Can I change my vote? The one linked is comical. Not so the Judge or S&W. Those are awesome trail guns. Now that there are .410 shells that aren't wimpy the are good for more than rodents and reptiles too..

The shotpistol though managed to capture most of the elements that make a traditional western revolver crummy. Horrible ergonomics, lousy safety system, the need to keep one cylindar empty, the need to cock each time. Dumb looks.

Now I think anyone who wants one is entitled to buy one, and I am sure they would be fine if you don't mind the above. I really don't get the point of the flash hider though. If you want a cowboy pistol in .410 (aesthetics is the only reason I can see for that) why would you want to duct tape on some AR stuff?

• Like 1

Now that there are .410 shells that aren't wimpy the are good for more than rodents and reptiles too..

What are some good loads out of a .410 pistol? I know they were making some special loads just for them, but I never heard much about them. My take on .410 pistol is that they are virtually useless when firing .410 and less than optimal when firin anything else. The best .410 pistol IMHO, is the S&W offering because of the quality and ammo options. this one seems to have been made as a range toy, and that's about all I would tust for. It has basically no barrel and all of the worst feature one could put together to make a revolver.

• Like 1

The 2.5in shells is a valid point but the rest of their offering is spot on. Rifling sucks for shotshells. They also have a version without the flash hider. If they are getting better patterns and hold 6 rounds instead of five, its a superior solution, as far as i can tell. Of course, how do i make a .410 shotshell defensive revolver as effective as possible is sorta a question no one really needs to ask, let alone provide a solution for, but hey, the judge is about as popular a purchase as they get. and above someone mentioned a man size target with a judge inside 15 feet, they are claiming the same effectiveness at 21 feet. Sounds like winning. My only hesitancy in personal taste would be that there is no front sight that i can see. If they are going for a familiar handling performance, id like the same sight picture.

The 2.5in shells is a valid point but the rest of their offering is spot on. Rifling sucks for shotshells. They also have a version without the flash hider. If they are getting better patterns and hold 6 rounds instead of five, its a superior solution, as far as i can tell. Of course, how do i make a .410 shotshell defensive revolver as effective as possible is sorta a question no one really needs to ask, let alone provide a solution for, but hey, the judge is about as popular a purchase as they get. and above someone mentioned a man size target with a judge inside 15 feet, they are claiming the same effectiveness at 21 feet. Sounds like winning. My only hesitancy in personal taste would be that there is no front sight that i can see. If they are going for a familiar handling performance, id like the same sight picture.

It's also single action... which automatically rules out any proper defensive use.

I don't look at it as a self defense gun, there are much better choices then that. It does however pattern somewhat better then the Judge and would make a pretty nice "small critter getter". I've used the judge for rabbit hunting and been pretty pleased with its performance and would definatley consider this one.

it also looks like it dosnt have a loading gate, id be interested if they got rid of the flash hider, added a loading gate and a 4.5" barrel. and especially if triple k made a western style cross draw holster to fit on my western rig

AND a transfer bar safety, that setup they have there is just stupid

Edited by Russian Hammer

The question was ".410 revolve what do you think?"

So without reading any more I answered "badass."

Because my dad's judge is soooooo badass.

We roll our own 410 an 45lc.

Five 000 buck at 1000 fps paper plate sized pattern at 30 ft.

is a badass thing to behold.

im no self defense expert but i can see the advantage of a shot shell at close range over a conventional single bullet. not everybody is an excellent shot and can accuratly place rounds in a small moving target, when the pressure is on and you are crapping your pants the chance of hitting something gets even smaller for the average person. i havnt looked at any stats but am guessing a large portion of people getting hit by a hand gun would be with in 10 yards. to those who think a .410 pistol with a shot shell and a short barrel will have the pellets dropping on their feet due to lack of power may get a surprise, would you be brave enough to let some one empty one at you?

sure there are some features on this pistol that are a little undesireable, but its the first shot that counts, you get the luxury of a mag full on a glock but thats no advantage if you already have a belly full of buckshot.

i would be interested in seeing some stats on what range most SD events occur? also a practicle test of this pistol compared to a conventional pistol engaging targets in a SD mock up, ie, dark, close fleeting/moving targets.

I was talking specifically about this gun, but more generally the question of "how good" .410 revolvers are (when loaded with .410) boils down to their intended use and what logic you use. Personally, I believe the FBI's standard for pistol rounds is the best measure we have today for defensive use and I have yet to see a .410 round out of a revolver that performs better than a pistol caliber alternative. Are there any .410 rounds that penetrate at least 14" into gelatin out of a pistol? How about 18"?

The Judge shoots the 45 acceptably well, by which I mean minute of bad guy at 25 yards.

The 4 ball 000 buck 410s, it puts them in a man sized target within 15 feet.

I would hesistate to call that virtually useless.

Note that I specified WHEN using .410, the pistol calibers work fine. There may be new 410 loads that do okay with shot pistols, but I don't see the advantage over a standard round. Grouping is not all that matters, not that "on a man sized target" is good grouping at 15', I would like to see some penetration tests....

Yes, but it's SLOW to reload and what are the ballistics of those 2.5" .410 shells out of such a short barrel? It's also single action and may not be drop safe....nothing spectacular, to say the least.

It's also single action... which automatically rules out any proper defensive use.

Yeah, because no one ever successfully used a single action handgun in proper self defense. wacko.png Right.

Single action revolvers put you at a severe disadvantage it when there are always double action revolvers capable of doing the same thing... it's common sense, really.