Ive been looking at the newer four door wrangler but i found an '05 Wrangler unlimited LJ for 13k

it is a mudder's dream it has 36's with a wench and all

gonna take it out this weekend to see how i like it

edited for spelling

Edited by dieb4iwake
  • Like 1

Buy the one that is still on the stock 28" street tires that was owned by the little old lady. That way you have less chance of getting one that has already been thrashed off road. Then build it up into your idea of what it should be, not some other guy's idea. And be sure you get one that has the Dana 44 rear axle. Or a Rubicon, since those have D44s front and rear, plus other cool stuff.

I just bought and old cherokee and I find my self wondering "CAN I DRIVE OVER THAT???????" all the time. (that especially applies to "green cars" with obama stickers in parking lots)

Jeeps, are cool but be prepared to fix things/ upgrade things as you start pushing them to the limit and break things. It's a brutal cycle.

Bought my wangler in 2000 new off the lot.

Still have it. rolled it 4 times. it catches air, and is basically stock.

4 banger 2.5 ltr. ax5 5 speed manual danna's front and rear, hard top.

I went through it 2 years ago. and while I did it I put 16 inch rims and tires on it.

Got one inch extra with out a kit and since they are tires and not a lift kit id didn't affect the insurance rate,

this summer it's getting : new ball joints,shocks, SS break lines. removal of the serpintine fan ( replaced with a dual electric fan and manual switch) possibly a snorkle too.

I love the thing it really has gone everywhere and never left me walking.

Even when I rolled it 4x it landed on the wheels and I drove it to the body shop.

Although it did look like a smashed soda can, it still ran/drove.

Jeeps are built not bought and should be a journey to get them where you want it.

Edited by armalite_ar50

this on is a rubicon and is armored out with at least 10k in suspension i checked it out thoroughly

You should be GTG with 36" tires although general rule of thumb with D44 axles is max 35". Bigger than that shit starts breaking with hard wheeling. Stronger axle shafts will help. Are the skidplates and axles scarred up? That could indicate some hard use. What kind of suspension?

snooter, yer comparing apples and oranges....

One made tractors and a short run of utility/farm vehicles, the other made utility vehicles that WON wars and any farmer could work on.

If you feel the jeeper is solid and the price is within reason then get it.

With those tires and a lift see what the insurance will cost you. They look @ that stuff on jeeps and will ask if it's been modified over the phone, Lying about it will result in NON payment if you ever need to file a claim.

If you get full coverage they will want to inspect it 1st hand ( no lying then).

Made the front bumper @ a friends machine shop out of scrap 3 inch sched.80 pipe, some 1/2 flat steel. two tow hooks welded to the top. One pipe is drilled and tapped for a air tank.

Cost me 1 day and two cases of beer.

Note the 16 inch tires and rims. 1 inch lift and the insurance doesn't care about them or the bumper. It's high enough off the ground that the flood of 06 wasn't a problem up to the headlights. nor the washed out roads.

For do it yerself or after market parts NOTHING beats a wrangler. If you can't buy it or make it, your Jeep don't need it.

ONLY ON A JEEP!

1273758950.jpg

1273761380.jpg

• Like 1

I've never had my insurance company ask me if any of my Jeeps (4 of them) were lifted. You may want to tell them if there is a big dollar amount in modifications for replacement coverage if it gets wrecked. Most brand name aftermarket suspension systems are engineered better than the factory one so that is a stupid question for them to ask.

Ive been looking at the newer four door wrangler but i found an 50 Wrangler unlimiter LJ for 13k

it is a mudder's dream it has 36's with a wench and all

gonna take it out this weekend to see how i like it

I own a Jeep Wrangler '97. Bone stock. Love it. Easy to work on. 4 cyl, 5 spd. 170k miles....Goes pretty much anywhere.

The only thing about the 4 door Wranglers is that you don't get the "Jeep Wave".....that's the price you pay for the extra doors.......

post-32211-0-50655100-1328879851_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Cant go wrong with a Jeep....

'99 XJ 4.0 I6, ~225,000 miles and counting

post-20217-0-65060400-1328914105_thumb.jpg

I test drove a 2010 4dr Sahara, last year, they are nice! I want one but dont need or want the payment.

BTW, i never get the Jeep "wave", unless its another lifted XJ.