To complete the sentence, "Would a friend buy a friend a Hi-Point 4095 TSRD?" If so, would they still be friends?

Briefly, I bought him a really nice Mosin Nagant for his birthday. He retaliated by getting me a Kel-Tec PF9 for Christmas. I now feel somewhat behind and as was said in the Pink Floyd song, this will not do. I know there's a lot of contempt for Hi-Points in general out there, but are they really that bad? He really likes my Ruger PC4 carbine but so does my wife so that ain't gonna happen. I haven't found any Rugers for sale at a reasonable price and am leery of buying a used one anyway even though every used gun I've ever seen online has only had 200 rounds through it. Sorta like everyone who gets pulled over by the cops has only had two beers.

Reviews are limited but not nearly as critical as everyone online appears to be. This will be a range only fun gun unless it proves trustworthy enough for some HD too. It won't be expected to win a beauty contest or run thousands of rounds at a time with no hiccups. Plus it's American made and the warranty is about as good as they get.

Thoughts/opinions?

Thanks,

Tim

Personally I have never understood the contempt for the hi point carbines. While they are not the prettiest guns out there, they are good shooting guns, reliable, and fun to shoot. I have shot the 4095 and the 995 and would be proud to own one. I think it would be a great gift. Which brings me to my second thought...Apparently I need to reassess my pool of friends.

• Like 1

My biggest beef with the hi-point rifles is not their function, which is generally fine, but with the difficulty of maintenance. They are not made to be disassembled. They really seem to be intended as throwaways.

• Like 1

Personally I have never understood the contempt for the hi point carbines. While they are not the prettiest guns out there, they are good shooting guns, reliable, and fun to shoot. I have shot the 4095 and the 995 and would be proud to own one. I think it would be a great gift. Which brings me to my second thought...Apparently I need to reassess my pool of friends.

I'm thinking like you. Dunno about your friends though, LOL. We just kinda got into a "oneupmanship" game. It's all good though because we end up with what we more or less wanted anyway.

Nagant revolver to go along woth the 91/30. Hi Points are just bad taste!

Very interesting revolver. I might have to check into those.

My biggest beef with the hi-point rifles is not their function, which is generally fine, but with the difficulty of maintenance. They are not made to be disassembled. They really seem to be intended as throwaways.

Pistols or rifles? I watched a video of the carbine disassembled and while it was different, it didn't seem difficult.

Edit; Oops, I didn't see where you specified rifles initially. Still, it didn't seem too bad.

They're like inelegant Remington Nylons.

Can't argue that except to say the new ones look better than the old ones. Guess you can put lipstick on a pig after all.

you could give him a 10/22. power doesnt matter on gifts. i know id rather get a nice .22 than a hi point. but thats me. i never really cared for them.

He already has 2 nice 22 rifles and a Buckmark pistol. Plus he seems to have an affliction common to this site. PBCWS or Prefers bigger calibers when shooting. He just likes my Ruger 40 carbine so much that I figure a pistol caliber carbine is the way to go.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll give it some more thought.

Edited by TacticoolTim

I'm thinking like you. Dunno about your friends though, LOL. We just kinda got into a "oneupmanship" game. It's all good though because we end up with what we more or less wanted anyway.

Nagant revolver to go along woth the 91/30. Hi Points are just bad taste!

Very interesting revolver. I might have to check into those.

Pistols or rifles? I watched a video of the carbine disassembled and while it was different, it didn't seem difficult.

Edit; Oops, I didn't see where you specified rifles initially. Still, it didn't seem too bad.

They're like inelegant Remington Nylons.

Can't argue that except to say the new ones look better than the old ones. Guess you can put lipstick on a pig after all.

you could give him a 10/22. power doesnt matter on gifts. i know id rather get a nice .22 than a hi point. but thats me. i never really cared for them.

He already has 2 nice 22 rifles and a Buckmark pistol. Plus he seems to have an affliction common to this site. PBCWS or Prefers bigger calibers when shooting. He just likes my Ruger 40 carbine so much that I figure a pistol caliber carbine is the way to go.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll give it some more thought.

Careful about the oneupmanship Tim. Before long you'll be buying each other Barrett .50 caliber semi autos. Good luck in whatever you decide.

• Like 1

Get him a sub 2000

Get him a sub 2000

+1 if he has a pistol you might be able to get one that takes the same mags.

I actually considered this one but rejected it for a few reasons. Price is 100+ more than the Hi-Point (I do have my limits) he has a Springfield XD so couldn't take advantage of shared mags anyway, it looks to be open sights only and he has "older" eyes that prefer red dots, and to me at least, the Sub 2000 isn't a beauty contestant either. I do like the the folding feature (for me) but it would be range only for him and thus not a big deal.

Careful about the oneupmanship Tim. Before long you'll be buying each other Barrett .50 caliber semi autos. Good luck in whatever you decide.

That sounds like a win/win situation to me. Even if I give up after I get my .50 it's still a win for me. LOL.

Hmmm, if I went with a 9mm instead of a 40 I could also go with an ATI stock and presto, instant Beretta CX4! OK, not quite a Beretta. Alright, not even close but it would look like one from a distance at least. Of course some might consider doing such a thing the ultimate sacrilegious act.

I looked at doing the same with the ATI and hi point 995. I don't care what anyone says I think the combination looks cool. Problem for me is all I shoot in handgun caliber is .45 and unfortunately ATI refuses to make the stock for it. I almost talked myself into the Berreta Storm in .45, but then common sense got the better of me. I went with a run of the mill DPMS Sportical Carbine, slighty cheaper, better range and ballistics, and high capacity mags. Now that I think of it, I would still like to have that Beretta.

I have the Hi-Point 4095. It's a rugged lil' bastard .Blowback operated. I can hit softball sized groups with it at 40-50 yrds, which ain't so bad considering it's a .40 cal pistol cartridge. It's a fun plinker, and will out shoot my XD-40 at those ranges. Makes a decent truck gun. Has one helluva warrantee, no matter who owns it.. 100% made in the US.

post-8269-0-51095800-1329976833_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have the Hi-Point 4095. It's a rugged lil' bastard .Blowback operated. I can hit softball sized groups with it at 40-50 yrds, which ain't so bad considering it's a .40 cal pistol cartridge. It's a fun plinker, and will out shoot my XD-40 at those ranges. Makes a decent truck gun. Has one helluva warrantee, no matter who owns it.. 100% made in the US.

All good valid points. Besides that, yours doesn't look too bad at all. I've never had an aversion to following a different path than the majority either.

However, weighing everything out I've decided to suggest he buy one of these himself. A few reasons for my final decision....he flat out wants a 40 caliber carbine and I believe it would fit the bill well. The wife is getting suspicious and/or jealous, so I've decided to de-escalate. At least for now, lol. (I don't know why she's jealous since I gave her my PC4 carbine which is a great rifle.) But the Nagant revolver is a lot cheaper, has an interesting background and would go nicely with the 1917 Luger pistol his uncle gave him recently. Plus, if he buys the Hi-Point I can check it out and see if I may want to get one at some point. Yeah, that's a bit devious but I think he will be happy with the Nagant.

Thanks for the input guys.

Tim

I can testify to the "tough to clean" factor, but on the flip side I tested mine out by intentionally not cleaning my 995 for the first 2000, yes, Two Thousand rounds. Functioned perfectly.

I got mine to have a Plinker that feels more fun than a little .22

Mine does 6" groups @ 100 yds on average. Still only half cleaned it once.

Ugly, so I camo'd it. It is a very fun plinker.

Hope the info helps.

• Like 1

I have a 995 that I got as a kid. It has always worked well and been fun. I don't think I would buy it again though. For one thing cleaning it removes the scope mount.

It is an affordable plinker, but I did a bunch of testing at ~100yds with newspaper bullet traps. I found that heavy ammo keyholed, and a lot of it tumbled at that range. I was still able to get groups around 3", but the keyholing was interesting. Also at that range, .22lr punched a couple inches deeper on average than the 9mm.

So I kind of sit on the fence. 9mm carbine is fun and cheap, and the gun works well, but it feels crummy. I would rather fave the keltec, or better yet .that ruger that took p95 magazines and looked like a scaled up 10/22 with a side folder. It would be worth another hundred to me to get a better gun used. The magazine capacity is a big detrator to me as well.

After thousands of rounds the stud that works as a nut for the bolt handle walked out of the bolt and caused a jam that was very hard to clear. Tightening it down fixed things, but that was alarming. I think the gun is safe, but that is worth mentioning.

The main thing is that any time I go to shoot there is something else in the rack I want to shoot more. For a hundred more you could get him a sporterized 5.45 that costs the same to shoot (surplus), is more trustworthy, and wouldn't get old.

• Like 1

I think GunFun's idea of a 5.45 is a great one! Ammo is cheaper than pistol ammo, and it is a real fun rifle. I also agree with his statement of "Wouldn't buy it again". As fun and dependable as it is, it does "Feel" crappy. Wish I had thought of getting the 5.45 years ago when I got my 995

I can testify to the "tough to clean" factor, but on the flip side I tested mine out by intentionally not cleaning my 995 for the first 2000, yes, Two Thousand rounds. Functioned perfectly.

I got mine to have a Plinker that feels more fun than a little .22

Mine does 6" groups @ 100 yds on average. Still only half cleaned it once.

Ugly, so I camo'd it. It is a very fun plinker.

Hope the info helps.

The info does help. I just suggested he buy one of these because he runs two different 40 pistols and has lots of 40 cal ammo. He likes my Ruger in 40 but they are no longer available new. He has a Remington 870 that he hasn't shot in a couple of years so I told him to sell it and get something he would pull the trigger on. Basically, a pistol caliber plinker is all he wants and I think this one would work fine in that role.

I have a 995 that I got as a kid. It has always worked well and been fun. I don't think I would buy it again though. For one thing cleaning it removes the scope mount.

It is an affordable plinker, but I did a bunch of testing at ~100yds with newspaper bullet traps. I found that heavy ammo keyholed, and a lot of it tumbled at that range. I was still able to get groups around 3", but the keyholing was interesting. Also at that range, .22lr punched a couple inches deeper on average than the 9mm.

So I kind of sit on the fence. 9mm carbine is fun and cheap, and the gun works well, but it feels crummy. I would rather fave the keltec, or better yet .that ruger that took p95 magazines and looked like a scaled up 10/22 with a side folder. It would be worth another hundred to me to get a better gun used. The magazine capacity is a big detrator to me as well.

After thousands of rounds the stud that works as a nut for the bolt handle walked out of the bolt and caused a jam that was very hard to clear. Tightening it down fixed things, but that was alarming. I think the gun is safe, but that is worth mentioning.

The main thing is that any time I go to shoot there is something else in the rack I want to shoot more. For a hundred more you could get him a sporterized 5.45 that costs the same to shoot (surplus), is more trustworthy, and wouldn't get old.

Thanks for the input. Problem is he already has a 223 Saiga and a 223 Savage bolt gun so a 5.45 would be a bit redundant. I agree on mag capacity but he doesn't burn through ammo like some do. I have the Ruger you mentioned (but in 40) and it was the first gun I ever bump fired a couple of weeks ago. It worked beautifully btw, but I'm glad I used the 10 round mag instead of the 20. I offered to let him try it but he declined saying "It's kind of chilly out so I'll just use my money to start a fire rather than burning it in a gun". He enjoys shooting but doesn't do mag dumps so capacity shouldn't be a biggie.

I haven't heard of keyholing problems with the 4095 but if you could still get 3" groups with the 995 at 100 yards with that problem it would be acceptable to me and him too, I would think. That's about the limit at our range anyway.

I haven't found a single person who didn't enjoy shooting my PC4 so I suspect his would be fairly popular too. I keep wanting to semi-retire mine to HD only since it's out of production but it keeps getting dragged back to the range so far.

Cleaning/disassembly is more complex than average but also not a real issue. He enjoys fiddling with them almost as much as shooting them. All in all, as a cheap range only pistol caliber carbine I do believe he would be happy with it.

For the money, you could probably find a used Saiga. Unless you want a pistol cal, then the HiPoint is good to go IMHO.

Agreed. And since he already has a Saiga and wants a pistol caliber carbine I think the Hi-Point would work fine too.

Edited by TacticoolTim

i have a 995ts and have about 1500 through it. works great every time and its her fav to shoot. she likes 25 yds and it will chew up the bull at that range with ease. they are reliable up to 50 yd plinkers imo and i would buy one in 45 cal if ammo wasnt so damn expensive for it. she goes through 200-250 rounds every outing. as was said above, your a great friend !!

either way you go tim your still a good friend. any man that gives his friend a gun is a friend worth having.

i have a 995ts and have about 1500 through it. works great every time and its her fav to shoot. she likes 25 yds and it will chew up the bull at that range with ease. they are reliable up to 50 yd plinkers imo and i would buy one in 45 cal if ammo wasnt so damn expensive for it. she goes through 200-250 rounds every outing. as was said above, your a great friend !!

Thanks guys, I really appreciate that. Good thing I don't have may friends though or I'd go broke, LOL.

I think I've convinced him to sell his Remington 870 and use the money on a 4095. He doesn't shoot it anymore anyway so that would make sense. I'm going to get the Nagant revolver and a box or two of ammo for it. The ammo itself is very interesting. I think he will be happy with it and the history behind it.

Thanks again, all.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

No clue how good a Nagant revolver is, but they look cool. It has that old fashioned charm. Webleys may have been a terrible military weapon, but they have classic style.

From what I've read, they are rugged and accurate if a bit under powered. On the downside though, ammo is scarce and expensive although I believe 32 and 32 mag will work in them. That would negate the cylinder to barrel seal that was the reason for building them in the first place because the shell itself completes the seal. Still, I don't envision thousands of rounds through it anyway. All around I think they are an interesting semi-collectible. I agree on the old fashioned charm. I read an unofficial history that described completing the awkward, time consuming reloading procedure then looking up to see a squad of German soldiers watching with interest before they shoot you. Rather amusing, I thought.

I have a Nagant and have had a few - they are really nifty revolvers. The original ammo supposedly packed a decent punch, but the modern stuff is pathetic. I've seen modern-production ammo chrono at 500-600 FPS. The cartridge (7.62 x38R, or 7.62 Nagant) is also a huge pain in the ass to reload thanks to the shape of the cartridge - I don't reload it and don't much want to try. If I ever get a 9mm can, I'll have to get a Nagant threaded, and make some ~1000 FPS reloads. It's the only effectively suppressible revolver ever mass manufactured. If you're not familiar with the action, it's cool as hell - the bullet is seated entirely within the cartridge, and the loaded cartridges sit protruding slightly from the front of the cylinder - when the hammer is cocked, the cylinder is actually pushed forward against the rear of the barrel "into battery," inserting the front end of the cartridge into the barrel, forming a seal.

Yeah, ammo seems to be the main thing keeping this revolver from selling better. That shouldn't be too much of a problem because it probably won't be shot all that much. I've heard you can use 32 and 32 mag in it too. You ever done that?

The "500 FPS" you mentioned brought back memories of a "well used" 380 pistol I bought when I was much, much younger. So long ago that I don't even remember the brand name. Anyway, after the purchase I naturally got a box of ammo and tried it out. After a few rounds I noticed something peculiar. I thought I could actually see the bullet leaving the barrel and heading downrange. I knew that must be my imagination because that shouldn't happen. I kept shooting and sure enough kept seeing bullets, so finally had to admit that they must be going incredibly slow for me to pick them up. I sold the gun the next day. Yes, I told him why.

Anyone know how slow a bullet has to go before you can see it?