New Member Here--Just Bought a Saiga 12 in Sporter Config

I'll be converting to pistol grip and trigger forward soon I was thinking of using the Tromix DIY kit and using an old foldable tapco stock I had on my WASR10-63. Does anyone know if that stock is compatible? I am not going to remove the tang. Thanks in advance for answering my question about the stock.

This seems like a nice forum with nice people.

Thanks,

CrankyWanker

post-40773-0-88033700-1330657875_thumb.jpg

Edited by crankywanker

Welcome.

I believe the stock you have should be compatible. Most people end up thinking it is flimsy and switching out to something more solid though. They changed the 922r count recently. 15 numbered parts at start.

If you want to be legal with both foreign and high cap US mags, you need to swap out the parts you have named plus one more numbered part.

You have named four numbered parts : FCG (3) and stock (1).

Assuming you use a US Pistol Grip...

you also need to change one from this list: Puck, thread protector, fore-grip, piston. These are listed in order of lowest cost/ effort to highest. Except the piston which is $14-$30, but a hassle.

Run a tromix modified g2 trigger (3 parts: trigger, hammer, & disconnector) a US buttstock, a US pistol grip, and your favorite US hand guard and you're set as far as 922r is concerned. If you like the stock forearm or if money is tight run a CSS performance puck and change the hand guard at a later time. Welcome to the wonderful world of S-12's. Also you might want to take the gas plug off and inspect the amount of gas ports your gun has and the condition of them.

The flash suppressor or puck count as a part. Remember it is about eliminating foreign pars off of a list, not adding them.

If your gun runs low brass fine, you don't need an performance or booster puck. in that case, Tapco puck $8 @ MAA or MD standard puck for $10

The MD flash hider $30 @maa is pretty nice. Unless you are getting a choke or some of the brakes, the choices in things to screw on the end of your barrel are just a matter of looks.

Thanks. Yeah my Saiga cycles federal target loads really well. I am not sure why mine does where others don't? I'm definitely gonna be doing the conversion within the next month. It seems so easy to do it I dont know why you wouldn't!

There are a few reasons why some cycle bulk birdshot well in factory configuration. Reliability usually changes when the weapon is converted, but with enough work even the most stubborn S12s will eat anything. Never give up....

Thanks. Yeah my Saiga cycles federal target loads really well. I am not sure why mine does where others don't? I'm definitely gonna be doing the conversion within the next month. It seems so easy to do it I dont know why you wouldn't!

Welcome aboard!!

I know a lot of people have differing opinions.....but....Here's my 2 cents....

I always recommend breaking her in real good on some high brass if you can afford it. It's good to see she eating low already, but run some premium through her to get your wear points in her.....

I am old school.....just an opinion.....everyone has one!

Good luck, you will like the conversion, it is almost as fun as shooting her!

Saiga's are like American cars from the '50's. The ones made on Monday and Friday are not as carefully assembled as the Tuesday thru Thursday ones!

LOL!

Welcome aboard!!

I always recommend breaking her in real good on some high brass if you can afford it. It's good to see she eating low already, but run some premium through her to get your wear points in her.....

Yeah I bought a few boxes of some premium and ran those through her before target loads. About 100 rounds of high brass so far.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard!!

"High brass Break in" is a waste of time any money. Cycling the weapon violently by hand does about the same thing.... almost nothing. Thousands of rounds of "high brass break in" might reprofile the action enough to do some good in one aspect, but at the same time would cause undesirable wear on the weapon in other areas, while the only point in shooting that ammo was to make it run well off of birdshot. Not a good idea.... I realy wish people would stop offering this nonsense as advice. Very few S12s are really that close to running well on birdshot. I have owned 8 from various years and I know what it takes to make these things run. DIY'ers are better off doing some research and learning how to do a decent reprofile of the action and gas system modifications. Many tools can be bought for the price of ~200 rounds of "high brass" ammo. At least the tools can really move the weapon forward when it comes to reliability and overall feel of the weapon while firing.... and you still have the tools for the next S12 ;)

Also, there are some 'smiths out there that would probably get the thing running for about the same amount of money that someone might spend on high brass ammo while beating the weapon into submission. The owner would end up with better weapon.

Do any of you think that I am running hundreds of rounds of high brass in these things when I get them, so they can maybe become reliable with "low brass" ammo? No, I am removing metal in the right places. That is how it is done folks.

Welcome aboard!!

"High brass Break in" is a waste of time any money. Cycling the weapon violently by hand does about the same thing.... almost nothing. Thousands of rounds of "high brass break in" might reprofile the action enough to do some good in one aspect, but at the same time would cause undesirable wear on the weapon in other areas, while the only point in shooting that ammo was to make it run well off of birdshot. Not a good idea.... I realy wish people would stop offering this nonsense as advice. Very few S12s are really that close to running well on birdshot. I have owned 8 from various years and I know what it takes to make these things run. DIY'ers are better off doing some research and learning how to do a decent reprofile of the action and gas system modifications. Many tools can be bought for the price of ~200 rounds of "high brass" ammo. At least the tools can really move the weapon forward when it comes to reliability and overall feel of the weapon while firing.... and you still have the tools for the next S12 wink.png

Also, there are some 'smiths out there that would probably get the thing running for about the same amount of money that someone might spend on high brass ammo while beating the weapon into submission. The owner would end up with better weapon.

Do any of you think that I am running hundreds of rounds of high brass in these things when I get them, so they can maybe become reliable with "low brass" ammo? No, I am removing metal in the right places. That is how it is done folks.

Like I said, others have differing opinions. That was mine, This was his.

Besides, I don't think it is wasting money if you are shooting your weapon and learning about it. How it cycles, how it feels on different loads,dropping mags and reloading, tactical sighting....ect ect ect......all build "Muscle Memory" with your gun.

If you are doing that and breaking it in at the same, not a wasted cent IMO........

Edited by armory

Welcome aboard!!

"High brass Break in" is a waste of time any money. Cycling the weapon violently by hand does about the same thing.... almost nothing. Thousands of rounds of "high brass break in" might reprofile the action enough to do some good in one aspect, but at the same time would cause undesirable wear on the weapon in other areas, while the only point in shooting that ammo was to make it run well off of birdshot. Not a good idea.... I realy wish people would stop offering this nonsense as advice. Very few S12s are really that close to running well on birdshot. I have owned 8 from various years and I know what it takes to make these things run. DIY'ers are better off doing some research and learning how to do a decent reprofile of the action and gas system modifications. Many tools can be bought for the price of ~200 rounds of "high brass" ammo. At least the tools can really move the weapon forward when it comes to reliability and overall feel of the weapon while firing.... and you still have the tools for the next S12 wink.png

Besides, I don't think it is wasting money if you are shooting your weapon and learning about it. How it cycles, how it feels on different loads,dropping mags and reloading, tactical sighting....ect ect ect......all build "Muscle Memory" with your gun.

If you are doing that and breaking it in at the same, not a wasted cent IMO........

Agreed, but telling people to fire a bunch of expensive ammo for the express purpose of making their weapon cycle bulk birdshot is just plain wrong. It does not work that way. If it did, "reliability service" would not be in the vocabulary or on the pricelists of the vendors here. The poor sucker that believes "high brass break in" will make it run will be right where they started after all of that expense, except their wallet is lighter and they could have put that money and time towards something that would move the weapon forward regarding bulk ammo reliability. I can't begin to estimate how many times I have heard someone say that they have fired X amount of "high brass" to break the weapon in and it still won't cycle bulk ammo.

This what really works....

Friction/resitance reduction

Gas system work/modification

Training is one thing, making a weapon run on "low brass" is another....

Welcome aboard!!

You must admit that "training, muscle memory, etc., etc.." was not at all how you presented it. You presented it as a reliability aid.

Whatever floats your boat.

I did say in my very first post....."a lot of people have differing opinions..."

I apologize profusely if my "opinion" has offended any one.

Edited by armory

I dunno....mine ran good for a long time after the conversion, and eventually started banging the bolt-carrier into the rear trunnion, dunno if this is due to the spring wearing out or what, but I eventually bought a v-plug to cut the gas a bit. I think the weapons DO break in, otherwise why would I have slick spots on all the parts that contact each other?

I dunno....mine ran good for a long time after the conversion, and eventually started banging the bolt-carrier into the rear trunnion, dunno if this is due to the spring wearing out or what, but I eventually bought a v-plug to cut the gas a bit. I think the weapons DO break in, otherwise why would I have slick spots on all the parts that contact each other?

Ran "good" off of which ammo?

Ran "good" with which mag?

When I say "runs good", this is what I am referring to....

Federal Multi-Purpose 100 round Bulk pack and MD-20 drums.

• Like 1

quick question: are the reliability kits for ONLY 2 3/4 shells? or can 3" be used in systems utilizing the reliability parts?

From CSS....

"This kit will help you run all 2 3/4" ammo from Slugs/Buck Shot to the low brass Walmart "100rd Value Pack" Remington and Federal birdshot"

"The combination of these 3 parts will help your gas system run ALL 2 3/4" shells unless you have improperly drilled gas ports"

Now imagine that, a "gas operated" weapon system that needs enough gas to cycle the weapon reliabily.... even with this kit ;)

All of my S12s run with factory springs. It can be done. I don't recommend the spring in that "reliability" kit if you plan on firing any 3" loads. The puck and the MD gas regulator are fine.

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 2

god help the russian's if they could actually learn what quality control is that way you won't have to worry if it'll work properly. But as long as it fits in the box I guess they don't give two shits.

From my experience, 2011 models are the best ever. Extended barrel hood, no scope rail, gas block alignment seems to be better, the gas blocks seem to move less once reinstalled, and they usually come with 4 ports.

I have always wished that they could send them over as kits, minus the garbage. It would save me a few minutes because this is all that is worth keeping, plus the handguard....

post-22401-0-69278800-1331553566_thumb.jpg

Edited by evlblkwpnz