Bullet Guide..piece of cake

I thought this would be the hardest thing (tapping and drilling trunnion)

It took literally 5 minutes start to finish....stupid fast. Everything fit perfect.

Tapping was easy.

Just want to post this to maybe boost someone's confidence who is on the fence on doing this. By far the best mod..clicking in a true AK mag=PRICELESS

• Like 3

It was probably the part that made me the most nervous, but the actual hardest part was removing the factory trigger plate

This +1. The middle rivet was the one I had the hardest time with. The other two were pretty easy. MIddle one took forever, and I had to use a drill bit one size larger to finish it off.

I free handed it...it was stupid easy

Yea, hand drill to drill and tap. Just go slow and easy theres no problem. In the last year or so ive been on this forum I cant tell you how many times ive seen a thead saying 'broke my tap' or 'bullet guide problem' or 'oh shit what do i do now'. I just laugh.

Did anyone use locktite after install. I didn't but I'm thinking I should.

Make sure you take it to the range, test it, and are certain that its in correctly. It seems foolproof, just drill the hole, and install, and for most of us it is. But once and a while it doesnt work right.

So dont do anything permanent right away. Blue loctite is cool for the first range trip, probably not red.

After I was sure mine was all good, I put a small dab of jbweld under the rear of the guide then used Red loctite on the screw.

• Like 1

This makes me feel better. I've yet to do the BG install. I don't have a drill press, so I've just ignored the situation.

I'll go for it with the hand drill.

The best advice I was given:

1. punch a nice divot before you drill, give that fucker a couple hard whacks, that trunion steel is hard (its made from melted nazi tanks)

2. Above all else, take your time, plan your steps and go slow. 1/4 turn or less at a time when you tap the hole.

I cant even say the hole I drilled on mine is exactly straight, its not off by much though. The hand drill will do you just fine if you are careful.

Edited by Boomsick42

I've read that most people do break through the bottom. Shouldn't that be ok as long as you don't go through the receiver?

Yes, if you go through the receiver, you're not paying attention at all. I don't think the bolt/screw supplied with my kit would have seated properly if I didn't drill completely through through trunion and the tap I used certainly wouldn't have done a proper job.

I didn't have a deep enough pilot divot and went off center slightly. Post assembly, my carrier was hanging up on the screw head because it wasn't seating in the recessed portion of the BG. I managed to plane the BG a little with my Dremel and seat the screw head to the expected level. So if you do slip up like I did, it's recoverable; just take your time and think it through.

How deep a divot are we talking? I've never centerpunched anything before....just freehand. Not exactly something I want to do on my precious rifle.

I got the spring loaded centerpunch with the kit from Dinzag. Would one 'punch' do it? Do I need to hammer it?

Use the spring punch to make an accurate center. Use a center punch and an 8 or 12 oz hammer to punch that out so the divot is wider than the dead center of the drill bit.

(If you look at the tip of the bit, you will see that there is a flat part in the middle that does not drill - this is 'dead' center. If this is wider than your punch divot the bit will walk.)

How deep a divot are we talking? I've never centerpunched anything before....just freehand. Not exactly something I want to do on my precious rifle.

I got the spring loaded centerpunch with the kit from Dinzag. Would one 'punch' do it? Do I need to hammer it?

I would say, if you look at the ball on the tip of a bic pen, you want just a hair more than that about 1/32" deep. Its only enough to make sure your drill bit doesnt walk.

I know you dont want to beat on your gun, but you kinda have too. Put a tee shirt or thin towel on a piece of wood, make sure your reciever is sitting nice and flat on it, and give the fucker a whack. Hit is as hard as you would pounding a nail.

You dont need big old Thor haymakers, just hit it solid.

This was the only part of the conversion that I was sweating, ironically it was probably the easiest when all was said and done. I completetly converted my rifle and waited to do the Bullet Guide until I went to the range and put a hundred or so trouble free rounds down range in that configuration to make sure I didn't have any hiccups.

Once I knew my rifle worked, I then did the BG. It was extemely easy, but I was still sweating bullets though until I got to the range and put another 200 trouble free rounds down range to make sure the BG worked and I didn't F' any thing up.

Like others have said, go slow with the drill (I used a hand drill), then go slower with the tap and keep backing it out and use lots of oil.