Buy converted or convert?

Convert. I have roughly $740 in mine even with all the add-ons. The prices of both are jumping, so don't wait too long. Here's mine, Tapco heavy but its all MINE... CSC conversion kit, bullet guide, AIM surplus mags, ebay scope mount and scope as well as the single point sling.

Saiga012.jpg

Spent a little wile today looking around localy, there is not a convterted Saiga in this town. I did find out , after running all over the place of corce, that the gun smith about 4 blocks away can put one together as I want it for about $550. The only other Siaga I saw at all was $600 used in a pawn shop in the sporter config. Is $550 about right for this kind of set up?

I plan on having it in hand before fall, would be nice to fill my tag with it just to prove my old man wrong.

Thanks again for any advice.

I did find out , after running all over the place of corce, that the gun smith about 4 blocks away can put one together as I want it for about $550. The only other Siaga I saw at all was $600 used in a pawn shop in the sporter config. Is $550 about right for this kind of set up?

well, break down the price - you buy that S .7.62 for 600 bucks pay the gunsmith $550 bucks and wait for it, that is going to cost you 1150 bucks, Vs. buying a ARSENAL converted one for $800ish.even if you change out the stock to a AR, you're still way under what it's going to cost for converting it. and you won't have to wait. Edited by Matthew Hopkins

You don't need a drill press. A hand drill will work just fine. A dremel is necessary IMO, but others have used a hand file for that part. They must have extreme patience. If I wasn't going to convert it myself, I'd save the extra $$$ and get an Arsenal converted Saiga.

You don't need experience to pull off an awesome conversion if you take your time and do your homework. Even then, it doesn't take long. Plus, you'll have the pride and satisfaction of having done it yourself.

I just converted one with no gunsmithing experience and very little shop experience. It got frustrating at times because of all the things that could go wrong, went wrong for me, but the guys on this board are great help. I say convert because you get the chance to build a relationship with your gun

I will say that, using the commonly googled references to "Saiga conversion", the picture guide that I used was faily good other than they made their own bullet guide out of pipe, and had no reference to using a retainer plate instead of the shepherds hook, other than that it was gold. I did watch a couple of the videos but being about 80% deaf, I can't hear most of the guys on them so not much help. Need to find one with captions, lol...

Half the fun of owning a gun is modding/converting/changing things yourself.

If you are handy, convert it yourself....if you are not, then buy converted.

FYI:

I didn't use a drill press, I just went slowly...turned out fantastic.

Edited by cpltk2

It all depends on the quality you want. If you want a home built toy build a toy. If you want an off the shelf conversion buy an arsenal. If you want a real Custom Combat piece that has been re-manufactured with out screws, bolts patches and spray cans, do your homework.

Convert one if you have the slightest mechanical or shop skills, can follow directions and have patience. If you don't have these, leave it to a professional. We've seen many hacked up guns on this board

But if you do have these things. Convert it! You'll love it So much more.

Here's mine(although it's it's in pieces right now becuase I'm doing the full ak103 treatment an her.

d1270253.jpg

You don't need a drill press. A hand drill will work just fine. A dremel is necessary IMO, but others have used a hand file for that part. They must have extreme patience. If I wasn't going to convert it myself, I'd save the extra $$$ and get an Arsenal converted Saiga.

You don't need experience to pull off an awesome conversion if you take your time and do your homework. Even then, it doesn't take long. Plus, you'll have the pride and satisfaction of having done it yourself.

No drill press here either, and all came out straight enough.

Before i bought a dremel, I had some serious hours logged with a file. it works but it takes quite a bit longer. Even so, I wouldnt change a thing. When you put work and sweat in, you get pride out.

post-31894-0-62267400-1333339639_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boomsick42

Thanks for all the advice, y'all have pretty much made me decide to convert one myself. There is a gun show coming up this month here in town that I'll be hitting up in the hopes of finding a used gun. Any suggetions on what to look for in a "good" used rifle? What price range is normal for a used Saiga? This will be the first gun show I have been to in a verry long time.

The Saiga will be my first, and more than likely, my only "assault" rifle.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for all the advice, y'all have pretty much made me decide to convert one myself. There is a gun show coming up this month here in town that I'll be hitting up in the hopes of finding a used gun. Any suggetions on what to look for in a "good" used rifle? What price range is normal for a used Saiga? This will be the first gun show I have been to in a verry long time.

The Saiga will be my first, and more than likely, my only "assault" rifle.

Thanks for your help.

YMMV but gun shows in my area are certainly not places to find good deals(although everyone selling will make it seem like the deal of a century)

Your best bet. Would be find a local gun store/FFL tell them you want to order a new one for 329 from classic arms. Order it, have them send their FFL. Pay transfer fee, pick up.

Then you have a brand new rifle for probably still under 350. I saw some used ones at my gunshow for $450. (not converted)

The way I work gunshows. Is bring a few hundred bucks but don't expect to leave with anything, if an actual deal pops up, snatch it. If not. You won't be disappointed.

Edited by hutchsaiga