PSL short barrel spare parts build

Finally finished up my PSL shorty build.Plethora of Combloc parts used,Welded FAL flash hider,14 inch Romanian PSL barrel left over from my PSL bull barrel build.Russian Saiga front sight.Yugoslavian M70 grenade launcher gas block with a drop in gas regulator screw insert,Romy lower hand guard with Polish laminate upper.Receiver is a kmanco folded flat with a Hungarian AMD rear trunnion.Hardwood birch laminate butt stock and grip.El Cheapo red dot for now 'till my PK 1 comes in.Finnish Lahti 26 20rd. mag.

100_4213.jpg

100_4202.jpg

100_4198.jpg

100_4194.jpg

100_4188.jpg

100_4193.jpg

100_4206.jpg

100_4215.jpg

100_4210.jpg

100_4207.jpg

100_4218.jpg

• Like 11

Very cool! Is the stock made from scratch out of birch plywood? It looks awesome!

Thanks to all that replied and yes....Home cheapo birch plywood...was a MOFO to get the color to match the factory romy grip..Started with Swedish Pine Tar then numerous min-wax colors to tweek it in.

100_3938.jpg

Thanks to all that replied and yes....Home cheapo birch plywood...was a MOFO to get the color to match the factory romy grip..Started with Swedish Pine Tar then numerous min-wax colors to tweek it in.

excellent matching job man, that is some skill

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent work Kman. Saw this posted on Gunco, and it caused quite a stir. People really like it. Lots of interesting items. I love it. You create some of the most interesting weapons. A lot of outside the box thinking.

I'm running the Lahti mags on one of my PSL based builds, but they are far from perfect. How well do your's run and if good, what's your secret? I have a couple MG13 mags for my M76, and they run great, but the Lahtis just aren't reliable. Also, I can only load about 16 rounds in them.

Yes,The mags are finicky to say the least! As long as the feed lips don't get distorted they run fine when they're dialed in.Hand loads work the best in them because you can set the bullet a tad deeper to make the overall length shorter to prevent binding at the bottom of a stuffed mag.The mags are actually designed for the Fiinnish Lahti 26 cartridge 7.62 x 53R that is 1 mm shorter in length than what we are shooting today thats availible....OK...Back from the range today for some range results. This is my first experience in the red dot arena and with my failing vision I had a little problem seeing the target center [pizza box] that I had set up at the 50 yard line .I got the cheapo red dot dialed in and was having a blast destroying all the baseball sized rocks laying about down range .These are the results I got by centering the + on the pizza box at 50 yards rested by hand off the bench.Next trip I will bring some paper plates to set up so I can see the target better.

P1010147.jpg

Edited by kmanator

The mags are actually designed for the Fiinnish Lahti 26 cartridge 7.62 x 53R that is 1 mm shorter in length than what we are shooting today thats availible....

That's a common misconception. The case length is exactly the same - that inaccurate designation was introduced to differentiate the Finnish version of the cartridge that used a .308 diameter projectile instead of the .311-.312 diameter projectile of the original Russian round.

I got my hands on a few boxes of Finnish 7.62x53R a few years ago, and measured the cases to verify this. They happily fed and fired in any Mosin I fed them to.

I got my hands on a few boxes of Finnish 7.62x53R a few years ago, and measured the cases to verify this. They happily fed and fired in any Mosin I fed them to.

Curious to know if you compared the over all length of the 2 ? What was the projectile profile..super pointy or more of a round nose? Trying to figure out why the 54r binds on tips of a stuffed mag? According to the internet..they are not identical. 54r case is .22mm longer and OAL is .16mm longer?....just enough to bind in the mag.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/7.62x53mmR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62x54R

Edited by kmanator

The OAL may be different, but the case length was identical. I compared the casings only - if I recall correctly the casing I compared the Finnish ammo to was Bulgarian light ball.

I did not measure the projectile in any way. Wikipedia - the encyclopedia that anyone can edit to perpetuate urban legends and misconceptions.

Now, in fairness, there may have been a tenth of a millimeter of variance (or about a .18% variance) - I used an inexpensive micrometer. Even a fifth of a millimeter, or around a .4% variance in case length, should not be enough to cause serious binding problems. I can see the OAL possibly being the culprit.

Edited by Shandlanos
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another fun day at the range...This is a 5 shot group at 100 yards with the red dot resting the front grip on the table..red dot covers the target at that distance..well with in "minute of man" with a 14 inch barrel...I'm sure a scope will tighten it up a bit .

100_4329.jpg