Bigger, thicker, harder - Saiga M Series

I was shopping for a fathers day present when I came across those new polymer AR15 lowers. I started adding up dollars and weights, and figured I could kill two birds: get me a nice FD present and get my wife into shooting. This is how that conversation went down:

ME: "With this poly lower I can get the whole rifle under 5 pounds! By tuning the gas system, recoil should feel like that .22 you shot. What do you think?" <shows picture on internet>

WIFE: "But can I club someone with it if I need to? Plastic, you said? I wanna be able to club someone with it."

ME: "Uhhhhh...."

Lesson learned, make sure you KNOW a customers priorities, dont ASSUME you know their priorities before you try and sell them on something.

With that setting the tone, I turned to shopping for a Saiga instead. Finally picked this up today:

imag0372f.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So now im officially a member of the Saiga club. Got a few Tapco mags on the way too, so should be on my way to 922r and large mags.

The wood is very nice, I still need to figure out how I wanna treat it. This thing is a heavy beast. Thicker reciever, thicker barrel, 3-pin bolt, heavy wood. It should club people nicely, and fire quite a few rounds before heating up too bad. The fit of the wood to reciever is VGood, but not flawless. Likewise the wood finish. Im gonna want a bipod on this when firing, or some robotic arm brace to keep it up. I was considering shortening the barrel, but now im thinking I like it long and will just get a 16" later if they drop under $300 ever again.

Yeah, its a vepr knockoff. From 2008. The thumbhole is very comfortable. Reported 1.25 or 1.5mm thick receiver. I'm gonna try and get some calipers on it to find out this summer. Barrel is interesting, its thicker but slightly turned down the last 4(?) inches, presumably to take unmodified FSBs. Original AK FCG with proper placement. No checkering on the wood like the vepr, but from a refinishing standpoint that might be a good thing.

$430 shipped at centerfire, been looking at them awhile. I couldn't get the AR15 build I wanted under $600, so went with this instead, with the wifes input. Factory converted FCG, by which I mean the Ish factory put in the correct FCG from the start.

Bullet guide is next on the list, if I can find a kit with a decent tap.

IIRC the barrel diameter is the same as the .308, of course with a smaller bore. I'll try and get some measurements later. I'm curious how much more accurate this can be with the beefy receiver, bolt, and barrel, but in sure a standard 16" is already more accurate than me. I think their biggest benefit will be more rounds downrange between breaks, and an ak that will last 5 generations instead of 3.

After adding a few parts:

imag0373e.jpg

imag0374y.jpg

I need to get a drum and should have a dece support rifle. What's interesting is when I had the forearm off, the barrel is only thick for maybe 10", then is turned down a little for another 6" or so, then turned down again for the last few inches.

Still got a lot of work to do. Bullet guide, Minwax oil finish on the stocks, new FSB, RPK rear sight, scope, etc. I think most of its gonna wait for winter.

Edited by mostholycerebus
  • Like 2

I just recently purchased the same exact rifle... When i put the bullet guide in the bolt jammed up pretty good... I had to do a good bit of filing to the side of the bullet guide where the contact was taking place...i do not know if this is normal or not since I am knew to Saigas...

but now i'm thinking I like it long and will just get a 16" later if they drop under $300 ever again.

Sorry....having to catch my breath from ROFLMAO. If you didn't buy when they were that price, you missed the boat. The $300 AK went the way of the $69 SKS and the Dodo Bird. Finding my Arsenal for $400 was a stroke of luck and a good friend with connections.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the DPH wood stock adapter for the VEPR will fit this receiver? I love my rifle, but that slanted receiver has killed my replacement stock options...

Edited by jmc235

Does anyone know if the DPH wood stock adapter for the VEPR will fit this receiver? I love my rifle, but that slanted receiver has killed my replacement stock options...

I guess yer gonna be the test bed bro! Let us know how it works out. Ive also considered just cutting down the wood, but it looks so good! Wish I had gotten two now, one to keep long and one to cut down. The thumbhole stock is just the most perfectly comfortable stock ive held. Long and heavy though.

For all intents and purposes, it does look very much like a standard 1mm receiver found on Saigas.

Some people have claimed its 1.5mm like the RPK, others have said 1.25mm. If I can get my hands on some calipers ill let yall know.

edit: I just laid a handy ruler against a few points on the receiver. It measures juuuust under 1/16". That's the best I can do now with the tools at hand.

They are cool guns as long as you don't want to convert.

really no need IMO, I've never handled a more comfortable stock. Forward FCG too. All you really need to do is replace a few internals and use US mags, GTG. Gets heavy when holding for awhile, but that's what bipods are for.

I may grab a 16" later for fun, but if I want a lightweight CQB Ninja gun I have an ar15.

• Like 1

They are cool guns as long as you don't want to convert.

really no need IMO, I've never handled a more comfortable stock. Forward FCG too. All you really need to do is replace a few internals and use US mags, GTG. Gets heavy when holding for awhile, but that's what bipods are for.

I may grab a 16" later for fun, but if I want a lightweight CQB Ninja gun I have an ar15.

The only reason would be to clean up the trigger, but I'm with you- leave it as is.

It's got a barrel about as long as my S-308, but only fires 7.62x39... :(

You could definitely cut the barrel and still benefit from the heavy receiver, barrel, etc. If I find another for cheap I may grab it, cut the barrel to 14.5"+ pinned flash hider and trim a few inches off the stock...probably way to much time and money though.

The beefier receiver, barrel, bolt probably grant a little more accuracy over similar standard saigas, so maybe the longer barrel isn't a complete waste. I'm hoping we see more advanced cartidges as time goes by though. Something that opens like the wold softpoints, but with enough juice to go farther. That would turn this into a decent support rifle.

Nothing wrong with Tapco mags......not "Mil-Spec".....but in my personal experience and that of many others.....a reliable mag.

OK....doesn't have metal mounting tab, ...not Mil-Spec like Combloc. But work fine and are tough.

As long as you understand what you're buying....they're OK.

It's got a barrel about as long as my S-308, but only fires 7.62x39... sad.png

You could definitely cut the barrel and still benefit from the heavy receiver, barrel, etc. If I find another for cheap I may grab it, cut the barrel to 14.5"+ pinned flash hider and trim a few inches off the stock...probably way to much time and money though.

The beefier receiver, barrel, bolt probably grant a little more accuracy over similar standard saigas, so maybe the longer barrel isn't a complete waste. I'm hoping we see more advanced cartidges as time goes by though. Something that opens like the wold softpoints, but with enough juice to go farther. That would turn this into a decent support rifle.

They might give it a slight advantage, (I have to admit that my SA M-7 Classic is a bit more accurate than my SGL21s), but of course the trade-off is significantly increased weight. It all depends on what you plan to do with it. If it's destintined to be a hunting, (from a stand), and range rifle, you probably won't mind the weight that much. If you had to carry it on your back/in your hands all day, it'd be siginificantly more tiring than a standard weight Saiga 7.62x39.

You did get a good price and they are good rifles. I just like military-style rifles in this caliber.

I'll be interested to hear what kind of groups you get out of her. :)

Nothing wrong with Tapco mags......not "Mil-Spec".....but in my personal experience and that of many others.....a reliable mag.

OK....doesn't have metal mounting tab, ...not Mil-Spec like Combloc. But work fine and are tough.

As long as you understand what you're buying....they're OK.

You do realize you just said there is nothing wrong with tapcos, then said what's wrong with tapcos...don't you?

But alas. That's for another thread

I don't want to belabor the point......but there is a lot of "Tapco-bashing" on these types of forums.When pressed....all the objections seem to center on the plastic mounting tabs, which work fine for most applications. We are not talking SHTF scenarios and such.....so it is a bit of a stretch to say "Don't buy Tapco's"...meanining "at all". We haven't even asked how they will be used, or what the expectations-of-use are. The mounting tabs are plastic but so are the factory Saiga mags, at least in 5.45.

I also said they are not Combloc MilSpec and acknowledged that...so we have some frame of reference

So , maybe one could say "Don't buy Tapco's if the plastic tabs bother you, as they will not likely be as stout as military, all-steel mags".

For hunting, range shooting, plinking,etc,, etc.....what most people will use these for.....these are more than OK......and have been shown to be otherwise fairly tough. Also a lifetime gaurantee, if that matters to some. A blanket statement like "don't buy", with no qualifications around that recommendation, implies "junk"....and these have shown to be far from "junk", just understand their limitations. For the intended purpose, there might not be any.

Edited by IPSC45

I know the wrath is going to come down on me for this... but... Tapco mags count as three compliant parts... I ordered the Vepr adapter from CSS and should have it any day... I will let you all know how it fits...