Hi, i am going to purchase a saiga pretty soon and i was deciding between a saiga in 223 or 7.62 x 39mm, this rifle will be a SHTF rifle and was wondering which round would be more abundant during a situation like this, now i know that 223 is probably more used in the United states, but i also heard that x39 is slowly getting replaced by 5.45. this isn't a discussion on which round is better, both are accurate both can kill, and both are cheap.. do you think i should worry about ammunition availability between these two types? or will both be around enough to not make a difference? (this goes as far as long term situation or trade blockade) i am on a budget so i really can't get both.

thanks and god bless

Edited by zombiemilitia

In a SHTF scenario, it depends on if you choose to "Bug-in" or to "Bug-out". If you are on the go, then you will be on the Catch-as-catch-can program, so you will want to consider what is more popular in your area and/or be willing to swap weapons for whatever you find that has ammo.. If you Bug-in and hunker down,. just get what you like and stockpile ammo.

Having 10,000 rounds, and no truck to haul all yer crap, does no good, and you can only carry so much weight if you are on foot.

If you have the $$ to stock up and stay put, choose what you like, I would go for the bigger round, being the x39.

Buy 10,000 rounds, and who cares if supplies dry up.

edit: It may not even matter.........nobody thinks they will be one of those mutilated corpses in the street left by the Zombie mob, but.........

Edited by RobRez

At one time, I had all of their rifles, but they HAD to throw in the 5.45!! LOL Seriously, the 5.45 is a good round, but I'm with the rest on this...the x39 all the way. Not that I don't love my .223, but I like my x39 better. I like the .308 but ammo prices being what they are....

If it's your first, I'd probably get the x39. I already have an AK and SKS in x39, and that's why I went with the .223. At the time, I couldn't believe I was getting a .223 AK, but I don't regret it for a minute. It does have advantages. You can shoot .223 and 5.56. Foreign steel case ammo is as cheap as x39. It's more accurate. Ammo can be found ANYWHERE. This is could be a big advantage especially for a crazy SHTF situation (since you mention it).....better for trading and aquiring.

x39 for better penetration of light cover (ie. car doors, small branches, drywall, etc).

Just my 2 cents.

That light cover includes brick and cinderblock walls; which 5.56 cannot penetrate. wink.png

[media=]

[/media] Edited by post-apocalyptic

I've been around 7.62x39 since my teens and it always produced good results as long as you realized the rounds limitations (accuracy at distance sucks). Use the round for distances it was designed for and the round is great. .223 is for an AR. Feed the saiga something that was made for it. Go with the 7.62x39.

Go x39 in a long barrel. Midrange shooting isn't a problem if you factor in the "loop" of the round and save the better ammo for the longer shots. Use the cheap stuff for short range high volume shooting.

I went with a 23" barreled RPK, "Tobuk'd" it into a midrange DMR and will eventually bullpup it. But I'm pretty happy with it as is.

As for availability, if you're on the move and scroungeing ammo, you will likely find the gun to match.

When you said x39 vs 223 I thought you were asking about the 5.45x39 vs the 223. The 7.62x39 is less expensive, but how long will it be until it reaches the same pricing as the 5.56x45? If you are on a budget and can only get one, then get the 7.62x39. Very nice firearm, fun, and you will be glad you bought it.