Thanks for all the replies. Now I have even more ideas. That desert eagle 44 looks nice. A lot of votes on the Garland /m1. I didn't consider the s&w 357 or Tommy gun- cause I'm going together both regardless of this smile.png the 338 and 50 are not really viable. I have no decent outdoor range around, and the indoor one that I could shoot them at only goes to 25 yards kinda defeats the purpose..one day though.

I live in Illinois, which is the land of no, as far as all NFA items go. That sucks. I looked at a few things a while back.i know cans, FA, sbr's and sbs's are all a no go. If I'm wrong, please tell me, because i'd love to do something about it.

Mark v large grizzly? I have no idea what that even is, but I can't wait to check it out

edited for spelling

Edited by fatty alcohol

A hand cannon is loads of fun. I'd go with Tony's recommendation for the Mark V LAR Grizzly.

It's not your run of the mill gun, and it'll definitely have the fun factor.

Take it to a bowling pin match.

You'll make friends AND enemies!

...and bring tweezers to pull splinters with. :)

• Like 1

Interesting post! When I think iconic I think classic Colt 1911 and a proper Smith & Wesson .357 is up there as well (however, when I had the choice I went with a Springfield 1911 Trophy Match). As an owner of a Raging Bull .454 Casull and a Desert Eagle .50AE, I personally get more enjoyment from hitting the target with my 1911 at the end of the day. The hand cannons can be a bit polarizing with some people who assume you are just a poser (granted a Mark V LAR Grizzly is not as common so it garners more respect). After the shock value and first several rounds from a hand cannon, I am ready for something else more classically atuned. BTW - if you want to get full on stares pull out and shoot a Leinad Pepperbox Model MR 45lc / 410 (not that I am recommending one).

The M1 Garand is a classic. Hard to recc anything else before you have the required standards in your safe.

My dad has the Colt GC/NM. I dont like it. I just dont really like 1911's. They seem bulky and dont feel good to me. Id rather have a nice poly pistol with 18rnds of 9mm, more comfortable, less time reloading, less $ to shoot. If i need a business gun id rather have a SBS or SBR, recent information has disilusioned me to using ANY pistol for anything outside of target/fun.

Except, maybe, the .44mag. My pop (who has an extensive collection) has the classic Dirty Harry gun, maybe a longer barrel, in stainless, and THAT is a fun gun to shoot. REALLY distinctive sound, and people come running to look and ask.

A rhino hand cannon looks fun too, the .44 is fun but I dont like shooting it long because of the recoil. Something a little smoother like that would be awesome. They just made a long barrel one too that looks tits. I really want the 6" in Blue .40S&W, kinda like the modern analogue to my dads .44mag.

Lever guns are always cool. Im drooling over a nice .44 mag Henry Big Boy Deluxe II, with all that awesome etching. I wish the Lincoln Bicentennial came in .44 mag tho.

Edited by mostholycerebus
, the .44 is fun but I dont like shooting it long because of the recoil. Something a little smoother like that would be awesome.

Desert Eagle .44mag. gas operated, rotating bolt, dual recoil springs, polygonal barrel, 8+1 or like mine 10+1. Recoil is like .40SW to me and if you can it will do 200 meters easy.

• Like 1

Yeah, but the price on Deagles is ridiculous. Maybe when the kids are done with school....

Oh, and I know you said no black powder, but I would still take a look at the Ruger Old Army. You can get cylinders that will fire modern ammo, and unlike every other black powder revolver out there, it can easily handle modern loads. IIRC its built on a Redhawk frame, but looks like a bigger 1858, already the strongest black powder guns because of the top strap. I really wanna get a stainless one, then add a black cylinder and barrel. Should look just like the one Angel Eyes carried.

just checked out the lar grizzly. man that thing is sweet. when i get a 50 ( which may be soon) thats the ticket. sorry about the spelling on the last post. my phone didn't quite make it to smartphone. at best its moderatly intellingent.

desert eagle .44mag with the springs? i'll try to find one online. so far no luck.

gary posted a sweet garand a few months ago if i remember correctly. a gunshop a little bit away from me carries several styles along with a few dozen colt 1911.

i want a 50 one day also. i'll probably go big and get a barrett, but i'm dang near a decade away from doing that. with my lack of sleep and overzealous use of caffeine, keeping a tight group is, challenging, to say the leasthaha.gif

for folks thinkin of getting a desert eagle, id shoot one before you buy it. if you limp wrist them, they will jam. same with pushing up on the bottom of a mag for support. the mags dont sit very tight in the magwell and pushing up on them when the action cycles in between shots will cause a malfunction. at least in the .50 caliber offering this seems to be true. its a non issue for me. and recoil isnt as bad as people make it out to be. the weight of the pistol with a total of 4 recoil springs tames it down to where its not that bad. if you have small hands, this is not the gun for you. a lot of people love them, and a lot of people hate them. i like them. i carry an all black model when i go hiking and camping. they're pretty good shooters.

pretty simple design, easy to take down and for the most part, a pretty reliable gun. but def. pick up some spare parts. mainly springs. the bigger calibers are hard on springs.

• Like 1

I always like the look of the John Ross edition S&W 500 for a hand cannon.

Ross-12.jpg

Personally I would go with a nice engraved handgun. Can beat them for originally and cool factor.

I've fired the S&W 500. It's not fun to shoot, and I like big handguns.

i've heard the s&w 500 is a bit rough. that grizzly's got me thinking though. the only one i found was about 3200. after tax and shipping and crap that'll proably put me about 3600. a little more than i wanted to spend. but still pretty damn cool. i've been kicking around the idea of an ae/de for a while. still in love with the 1911 format though.

a nicely engraved colt 1911 comes to mind. i know nothing of how to go about that. anybody got any info on where to start? it would be appreciated.

still thinking about that garand though.

on a side note- happy day! i just got my parts back from pauly! can't wait