Tromix S12 vs VEPR 12

Very happy with my Tromix

• No FTE's
  • Love the Moly Resin Coating
  • Pauly's bolt/trigger polish is like butter
  • Matches well with my Tromix S308 (had the .410 and 7.62 Saigas Moly Resin too)

The auto gas and the hinged rail on the VEPR 12 is cool, but do I really need to spend another grand when my Tromix is sooo sweet

Which would you rather have? (if you could only have 1)

post-22193-0-18565000-1347716301_thumb.jpg

post-22193-0-08285000-1347716417_thumb.jpg

post-22193-0-62121000-1347716526.jpg

• Like 1

Vepr 12 or the SGL12, all day long. I dont want to come off insulting but I will say that most of my opinion has to do with how I think an ak style rifle/shotgun should look like. lets just say im not going to put jeep doors on a lambo and call it good.

I hate to say it but I guess im somewhat of a purist when it comes to aks. I dont mind the occasional AR stock on the ak but mixing and matching other parts is taking away from its look imo. So if you have different tastes and/or dont care what it looks like then you'll be fine. Im sure all those parts work great, thats not in question.

I want as many as possible OEM parts including trigger guard, pistol grip, muzzle comps and hiders, mags, hand guards, and internals. Only way to go about that is to SBS/SBR it. Otherwise you fall under 922r and all those us made parts are necessary.

to each his own.

sgl12-61.jpg

• Like 2

Love them both. I'm a big fan of magwells but thats because of the way I play. I already have an Auto Plugged 100% reliable S12 so all I need is a magwell and I'm good. I'm not dogging the hinged rail but I like my optics mounted mid gun like exactly where the rear sight is on my S12 so the hinge wouldn't do me any good.

I'd go for the Molot. However tiny wins for me, so if you are putting an 8" tromix up against a full size molot, I'd take the dainty little gun.

I debated over and over if I was going to have mine shortened to an 8". I still want to use my S12 for hunting and that isnt feasible with the limited ammo's and less accuracy. Also thought about buying another S12 and have it shortened to an 8", then I saw Tonys build list......Feb 1st 2015 015.gif .....that helped my decision

Edited by Saiga Power

I'd go for the Molot. However tiny wins for me, so if you are putting an 8" tromix up against a full size molot, I'd take the dainty little gun.

I'd get the VEPR.... and chop it to 8". Then it would be gorgeous.... and dainty wink.png

I'm a purist, for the most part. The Tromix builds stray too far from what I feel a Kalashnikov should look like. Lots of people love them though. To each his own....

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 2

Evl- phrased the question as either/or, so I answered in kind.

Of course a stubby Vepr 12 would rock. The rail space obviates the need to get a titan on it or adding some heavy grip for a VFG, so that balances out the increased weight in a little gun.

I debated over and over if I was going to have mine shortened to an 8". I still want to use my S12 for hunting and that isnt feasible with the limited ammo's and less accuracy. Also thought about buying another S12 and have it shortened to an 8", then I saw Tonys build list......Feb 1st 2015 015.gif .....that helped my decision

Well you should get a shorty then. Length has nothing at all to do with accuracy aside from making you more aware of your aim. That is controlled by choke, and the design of your ammo, especially the shot cup. As has been discussed and more importantly - measured- length has very little to do with velocity either. 24 " to 8" made at most a 200FPS difference, and almost none with most loads. 12" showed very little difference in velocity at all with the majority of loads.Length mattered for this reason aa hundred years ago, but powders have improved since then and reach full burn much sooner.

On paper, the veper wins in almost every category of features and quality, however one of the most bragged on features seems like a minus to me. Namely, the thicker side walls. That is unnecessary weight. How do I know it is unneccessary?-- Easy, there are no reported problems of receiver stress on Saiga shotguns. Remember folks, a design is perfect when there is nothing more to add or remove.

• Like 1

Evl- phrased the question as either/or, so I answered in kind.

Of course a stubby Vepr 12 would rock. The rail space obviates the need to get a titan on it or adding some heavy grip for a VFG, so that balances out the increased weight in a little gun.

Well you should get a shorty then. Length has nothing at all to do with accuracy aside from making you more aware of your aim. That is controlled by choke, and the design of your ammo, especially the shot cup. As has been discussed and more importantly - measured- length has very little to do with velocity either. 24 " to 8" made at most a 200FPS difference, and almost none with most loads. 12" showed very little difference in velocity at all with the majority of loads.Length mattered for this reason aa hundred years ago, but powders have improved since then and reach full burn much sooner.

On paper, the veper wins in almost every category of features and quality, however one of the most bragged on features seems like a minus to me. Namely, the thicker side walls. That is unnecessary weight. How do I know it is unneccessary?-- Easy, there are no reported problems of receiver stress on Saiga shotguns. Remember folks, a design is perfect when there is nothing more to add or remove.

I'll offset that thick receiver weight by losing a lot of barrel and op rod ;)

Magazine commonality would be my #1 issue. Also not a fan of the non-adjustable gas systems.

I'm usually of this mindset, but WOW.... I really want one of these. I will have one.... and a lot of mags for it ;)

I'm interested to hear what its like. Please share.

I will likely shoot some videos of one in action in factory form when they come in. It won't be long before one undergoes surgery. They are hurting for an AK100.

• 1 month later...

Here is my assessment in another thread. I have both and will say out of the box it is a totally different expirence.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/81468-vepr-12-vs-custom-saiga-12-and-the-winner-is/

You should have both but out of the box it's no contest. For an extra. 400 cash you get everything you need on one of these shotguns. And if you added it all to an s12 it would cost you more like 1500-2000 for an s12 with these features. Vepr 12 wins.

Edited by rogers
  • Like 1

Tromix's most basic package for a non-SBS is $395, it includes a few parts, but mostly you are buying QC that Izhmash might have overlookeda name and a warranty. Since the VEPR only really needs parts for compliance reasons and starts with higher QC off the bat, How much extra QC do you think a professional builder like Tromix would deliver for $395?

Their SBS service on the Saiga costs $1260+ I am not saying they would do the job for the same money, but If I am dropping nearly $1500 for service and a stamp on a shotgun, putting another $400 into a better gun to begin with might be in order. Also, some of that $1260 goes into adding features that are stock on the Vepr, such as better sights. It seems to me that the cost could go down proportionately for the service.

• Like 1

I am sorry, but the statement that VEPR starts off with higher QC off the bat is not true in my experience. It's an urban legend. I have three VEPRs and each of them lacks proper QC. All crooked rails, crooked sights on two.

Not sure how even the most basic firearm QC could miss things like this. Their QC blows.

Edited by ec4321
  • Like 1

I *love* my Tromix... but, not familiar with other varieties and it's my first AK platform weapon. Plus meeting the man himself, Tony, was worth it's weight in gold, platinum and silver trolled together. Based on the Tromix S12, I am adding more AK stuff to my safe, and thats what it's all about , right? :)

Magazine commonality would be my #1 issue. Also not a fan of the non-adjustable gas systems.

I'm usually of this mindset, but WOW.... I really want one of these. I will have one.... and a lot of mags for it wink.png

Not a problem. Just use the MD-20 drums that you already have. 032.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9n9xdgaH2M&feature=youtu.be

• Like 1

I am sorry, but the statement that VEPR starts off with higher QC off the bat is not true in my experience. It's an urban legend. I have three VEPRs and each of them lacks proper QC. All crooked rails, crooked sights on two.

Not sure how even the most basic firearm QC could miss things like this. Their QC blows.

Just curious, do you have an s 12? if so how did it run out of the box? most of the time they won't come close to reliably running out of the box with ALL AMMO. the vepr 12 on the other hand so far has nothing but good reviews out of the box, with just minor break in problems that smooth out with use after about 100 rounds by most peoples experience. I would call that better QC. Nothing is perfect. except maybe a Tromix. lol j/k I do have to admit though that as far as QC goes Tromix builds are probably better than a factory vepr 12. and they should be. but they still lack a lot of features that the vepr 12 offers

Edited by rogers
  • Like 2