Recoil buffer???

Hello Gentlemen:

It's been a while since I've visited this site. I haven't been able to shoot much lately, but I do have all parts needed for 922r compliance for my Saiga 223.

I was looking at Carolina Shooters Supply and noticed they carry a part called a recoil buffer. It's purpose sounds obvious. My question is: is it necessary? I've fired my Saiga without this buffer and it worked fine. I suppose there'd be a bit less recoil with this part installed.

I've simply never heard of a recoil buffer. Is it necessary? Is it difficult to install? CSS says it helps prevent wear on parts and it's good for 5,000 rounds. Isn't that why we oil our guns?

Please pardon my ignorance. I think I'll order one (or two) along with a slanted muzzle brake. I'll have to have a gunsmith install the muzzle brake for me.

Like all of you, I simply want my gun to last as long as possible - especially since the events of Nov. 6th.

Thank you! :-)

Hi Squeaky

The buffers simply act to prevent the carrier from slamming into the rear trunnion, thereby reducing wear. In my experience, they might soften the sharper impact of steel on steel, but the impact is still there. The softer buffers might absorb the energy more than the harder ones.

They install by sliding over the recoil spring assemby and resting just in front of the takedown latch:

ak1inst.jpg

Recoil buffers have not been needed up to this point and are still not needed. IMHO, they are a marketing gimmick. They ARE needed on Mini Draco pistols due to their inherently short stroke pistons, but on normal sized AK actions... no. How many AK's have you heard of having problems from battery from recoil? How long has the AK system been in use? There lies your answer.

The buffer is a solution to a problem no one had. It's a marketing gimmick. Not only that, it does more HARM than good. The buffer actually short strokes your piston operation (why it is needed on the mini dracos), thus hindering your normally sized ak action.

While we all want out AK's to last forever...they will surely outlive US. As far as buffers...don't. Just don't.

• Like 1

I have to agree with Brian, they are an answer to a question no one asked.

I have read stories on the internet of the buffers wearing our, falling apart in the trunion and causing failures. I read it on the internet after all, so it must be true.

Hmm I was considering the recoil buffer for the Saiga 12 - obviously it has plenty of recoil. I will monitor that spot on the rear receiver for wear and decide ..

This used to be a huge shouting debate on this forum. Some people have problems and some don't. If it isn't causing problems, it softens a clunk and increases wear life. No problem. If it is causing problems, take it out and leave other people who have them alone. No problem.

I have one in one of mine and it works fine. I think of it as cheap insurance for the wrong gas setting not screwing up the gun. Now that I have an autoplug, it lets me run it a bit over gassed with 3" shells without worrying. It does feel a little strange to me that the bolt stops a little sooner when I am racking the bolt. I shaved a sixteenth off of the buffer and it doesn't bother me as much.

YMMV--Some found they were getting premature rebound of the bolt thus causing failures to feed by the bolt outrunning the magazine. Most didn't. It seems to be a function of how hot your gun is gassed and really hot ammo.

• Like 1

There is a lot information and also B/S about recoil buffers out there . I personally use a buffer on my PSL and also on my Saiga .223 and never had a single problem on either . I think of a recoil buffer as a kind of cheap insurance . Both my AK type rifles have them .

I'm going to make some out of leather. I have some scrap lying around and it's a heavier cut.

It should be a good indicator as the leather will emboss with the impact of the carrier and rear trunnion. If there is a problem, it will be apparent.

The leather is not so thick as to cause a problem with the action, but thick enough to absorb some of the impact.

Bought one for mine, installed it fired 30 rnds, 4 jams...took it out no jams...doesnt do to much from what i can see but make it less reliable. Others may have had better luck....I was worried about it when i was shooting brass cased XM193s but ive switched to steel...cheaper and it doesnt seem to have as much "slam" on the trunnion.

anyone had any luck with different manufactuers of buffers?

Edited by Xrtrlrider

I bet if you shaved some thickness off, you could use the one you have. Those issues are generally either a matter of not having enough room for a full stroke, and thus less spring preload. The other way is that the bolt can bounce off the back and come forward before the magazine has another round ready.

If that is the case, a slightly stronger recoil spring could cure either issue. Another way would be to change the thickness of the material. Since you have one already, there is nothing to loose by sanding a bit of thickness off and trying again.

No there won't be less recoil. In fact there will be more if the carrier impacts the buffer, where before there was no carrier/trunnion impact. Also, the buffer can act as a "bumper" and send the carrier rebounding back too quickly, causing short strokes and misfeeds. edit: oh, already mentioned above.

Recoil buffers are pretty much a snake oil product, and cause trouble in almost any gun they are installed into.

Got excessive trunnion contact? Replace the recoil spring, possibly with an extra-power spring. Some trunnion contact is normal on almost every AK, but you definitely do not want slamming/peening as a result of excessive force strikes.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1