Doomsday Preppers -- What a Bunch of Idiots!

It depends on who your buddies are -- if you know they will have your back in all sits (and those buddies are few and far between) then I would try to coordinate a meet up loc. As far as pooling resources prior to a sit, the answer is for me always nooooooooooooo.

In my mind, anyone that is truly serious about prepping would not be on a TV show. Ddoing so just makes you a traget for those that live near you, and it paints an even larger target on you for the Fed to raid first and eliminate so you are no longer a "threat."

A guess I'll contact Nat Geo and see if they want me on the show. I'd rather not last several years before dying off on my own. I think the Fed coming in and making the end come quickly might be a better option.grimace.gif

• Like 2

I think people that live in la la land and ignore reality are just as retarded as the morons described in the OP. I feel the show was put in place to degrade a certain mindset that more and more people are realizing every day. People that are preparing themsleves to the best of their ability for the distrust in our failed system, or the event of any number of bad scenarios is not stupid IMO. Its stupid that so many people deny the obvious, and continue to go about their lives choosing to live under a rock in fantasy land with a false sense of security. Id rather take my chances and be self reliant than waiting in a bread line and trading my freedoms for food or worse.

Reality shows are lame at best. Never liked them, and prolly never will.

I dont really see anything wrong with people taking firearm courses, so long as the instructors running the courses are'nt total douchebags and actually know what they are teaching. Its not like they are going to SOI or taking a course on mountain warfare. Most of these courses are designed to give people a much better outlook and confidence with their weapon, how to properly utilize their weapon and maximize its effectiveness. Not to make them comeback and feel like Rambo, John J. 000.gif

• Like 4

I've never watched the show, in fact I hardly watch TV at all, but I would venture to guess it isn't geared toward serious preppers but rather toward people who like to point and laugh at what they think are a bunch of "crazy people" bumbling around. I don't think real preppers invite TV cameras in to show people what they've got.

• Like 1

Before you jump, I mean the TV show on Nat Geo, not preppers in general...

Man oh man the show tonight really got under my skin. The one about the retired chiropracter and his "Alamo" in Texas. The dude was in a semi enclosed shed without hearing protection while his friend shot a 5.56 right beside him -- then he blames his friend for messing up and crys like a baby while whining about loosing his hearing. He also has his 2 small boys lying in the prone position on his porch with AR's exposed while running a protection drill... the dude really struck me as semi dangerous and definately wierd -- the show really reaches into the fringe areas of prepper mania. Don't get me wrong, prepping is the right thing to do but sheesh, get some training people. Just because someone has professed to growing up with firearms does not mean they know what they are doing. That dude on the show tonight really proved it to me.

Sad Fact: less than 7 percent of the total population of the U.S. is either serving or has EVER served in the military. No wonder we are going down the tubes...

How about you stop crying like a little girl and take that tampon out your ass and stop watching reality tv shows?

Call me crazy cause I like the show..... not for the informational value.... but for a laugh. Personally I'd love to meet the two dip shits.... I mean "Experts" who judges this Bullshit Parade. WTF is "X-Factor". But you know what.... I'll give it to anyone who is doing what they can to be prepared. Better than the sheeple who think the Government is going to save them.... then left hanging for days. Bottom line. Society goes to shit after 3 days..... the show has that much right. Either be prepared or suffer at the mercy of others.

As stated before by Captain Hero is to downplay the odds of a catastrophe. But it doesn't take much to equate to a catastrophe these days.... ask the Atlantic folk if Sandy is/was just a minor inconvenience OR the Gulf Coast if Katrina was a excessive rain storm..... I was in Katrina.... There days before the National Guard and FEMA. Watching the bodies being plucked from the water..... Or a woman getting shot in the face with a 12G by a relative, over a bag of ice. OR the dip shit who blew himself up drilling car gas tanks to get gas..... the list goes on.

Everyone needs to know how to be self reliant.... to protect your family.

As a personal observation....... If I'm in a foxhole with someone like him and he doesn't have his shit together.... he could get us both killed. I'd probably be inclined to shoot him myself as a matter of self preservation. Cause there is no fucking way I'm sharing a hole with someone I can't trust to cover my 6. There always has to be a level of trust with your brother in arms. No trust, no way.

• Like 2

I think almost all that posted missed the point that I think Odd Man Out was trying to make which was the show "last night" was so over the top and filled with dumb asses it was laughable. I'm not a regular viewer (last night I ran across it mostly as a lack of options thing to watch) but geeez, you should have seen this guy balling over what many of you would suck up and deal with and he thinks he's a servivor in his mind. I don't think this was a general prepper thread, but rather the irony of it all (and you can edit the show any way you want, in some cases you just can't fix stupid, weak, or feeble). Other than true documentaries, it's all just entertainment.....this clips headed for Worlds Dumbest.

• Like 2

Always makes me laugh listening to someone who watches "reality" TV run straight to the gun forums bitching and moaning about how bad it sucks...LOL. If ya don't like something stay away from it and save yourself the fucking stress, geez.

As for the military and knowledge of firearms..... I call bullshit on that too. I've met LOTS of folks who were in the military and still don't know jack shit about firearms. I have nothing but respect for the military, ALL branches, being a retired soldier, Marine, etc doesn't give you the right to go around bagging on everyone else who didn't serve. Some of us served our country well in other areas.

Edit to add > I've never watched the show myself, but I do know others like myself who are concerned and are "prepping" in their own ways. They don't watch shows like that religiously and use them to get all their "training" or knowledge. Many of us have been "prepping" since long before prepping was cool, or had a trendy name.

^^^^ this^^^

...but geeez, you should have seen this guy balling over what many of you would suck up and deal with and he thinks he's a servivor in his mind.

I don't think it was even something that needed to be shrugged off, the guy was wearing ear muffs, and it was only a 5.56, I've been about that close to someone shooting both a PTR-91, and M14 tanker indoors, and they were just slightly uncomfortable.

Cobra is correct in saying there are many former Military lacking firearms experience. Unless they were at the pointy end of the spear, in the past, they usually qualified annually. If they were in after the September 11 attacks to present day, the constant deployments to Afghanistan and Iraq stepped things up a lot. More and more troops normally inside the wire found themselves outside in "Indian Country". There were a wide variety of Military specialties running armed up convoys in Iraq who saw lots of action. Same goes for Afghanistan where we have Provincial Reconstruction Teams (Engineers) rebuilding the infrastrucure for the locals for which the Taliban does not agree with a vengence. In preparation for these deployment taskings, these troops see a lot of trigger time to prepare them and they are not just punching holes in paper targets on a static range. The ranges are better with pop ups and moving targets. Convoy lanes were run to engage similar targets from a moving convoy, etc. Weapons training in the Military today is a high priority. If you are deploying, they are going to make sure you can shoot or you will not deploy and go home to pack your things for life in Ft. Livingroom as a civilian. I have absolutely no problem with anyone attending training. I encourage it as long as it is reputable training. Too many self proclaimed "Experts" are running classes to which they really have no credentials or experience. The average civilian cannot see through all the smoke and mirrors and think they got top notch training which qualifies them to be weapons experts. I've only caught bits and pieces of Doomsday Preppers flipping through channels and all I can say is the film crew does a damn good job at making gun owners look like complete lunatics. Every bad habit and safety violation involving firearms can be witnessed on that program.

...but geeez, you should have seen this guy balling over what many of you would suck up and deal with and he thinks he's a servivor in his mind.

I don't think it was even something that needed to be shrugged off, the guy was wearing ear muffs, and it was only a 5.56, I've been about that close to someone shooting both a PTR-91, and M14 tanker indoors, and they were just slightly uncomfortable.

Our troops are doing that every day without earpros and their volume of fire is a bit higher.

• Like 3

I'd also add that there are LOTS of good instructors that work under / for companies that should not be judged as inept simply for the "Brand" they work under...

the film crew does a damn good job at making gun owners look like complete lunatics. Every bad habit and safety violation involving firearms can be witnessed on that program.

^^THIS^^

Is what makes this show entertaining.....

How about you stop crying like a little girl and take that tampon out your ass and stop watching reality tv shows?

Kitty

Love your high level articulation. That aside, I posted something that was on my mind and by the looks of the response and views, I'd say the post was appropriate. I like reality shows, heck I like watching TV -- it is admittedly a vice I could do without but some of the shows actually are educational. Does it really do something for you to spew imbecilic rhetoric to try to disparage others? I really don't get the point in it -- I did in high school but that was long ago...

• Like 1

I have watched this show once or twice. The thing that gets me is how many of these people are physically not in the best of shape. Im not saying they should be running marathons but some of these guys look as if the only time they get up off the couch is when the show is filming. Specifically remember a fat dude trying wrestle some guy and he fell down a hill.

I have watched this show once or twice. The thing that gets me is how many of these people are physically not in the best of shape. Im not saying they should be running marathons but some of these guys look as if the only time they get up off the couch is when the show is filming. Specifically remember a fat dude trying wrestle some guy and he fell down a hill.

No, that's part of their prep. They will live off their stored fat. Much easier than trying to can and save a bunch for food on the shelves.

• Like 1

No, that's part of their prep. They will live off their stored fat. Much easier than trying to can and save a bunch for food on the shelves.

So when I eat cookie dough I am actually prepping? I can dig it. I think I am going to go prep rite now...
  • Like 1

Noticed that did you?

Think it might go hand in hand with the idea of making them look crazy as hell?

A-G-E-N-D-A

All the serious prepers I know work out at least three times a week.

Cookie dough.... damn you had to mention that stuff...

So when I eat cookie dough I am actually prepping? I can dig it. I think I am going to go prep rite now...

All prepped up for now...

post-19600-0-72055600-1354289254_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

So I watched last weeks Doomsday Preppers again. I wanted to see if it was possible to find these people. At the beginning of the show they showed a satellite view of his 700 acres. Then they had the local sheriff there. While watching the show the other guy showed up and they filmed him pulling off the main road. It only took about 10 minutes to find "The Alamo" here is a link to the Google Map. I compared it to the satellite view from the show. it is an exact match. I am not sure if his Molotov cocktails, IED's and his bullet proof walls would stop everyone, but he does have 46,000 rnds of ammo.

I guess the guy has to be insane. If you go through what he does to prepare his family, why then would you make it public and so easy for people to find you and your stuff. I hate this show. It make all of us look stupid. https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=29.299349,-100.380964&spn=0.005408,0.009645&t=h&z=17

Mike

If you go through what he does to prepare his family, why then would you make it public and so easy for people to find you and your stuff.

This same guy thinks he is going to hold a defensive position in a small box with his friend and fire rounds at people but can't last a few minutes in there without the noise making him weep like a girl

Back to the original topic. A friend just called me and said he watched the "Prepping" show lastnight. He recently came into some money and thought he should do that. He asked if I would like to be part of his Prepping network. Aparently he has a couple friends, they are all going to pool their money and store enough food and water for all of them in a storage unit down the street. He asked if I would be interested in putting in $1000 then we would have everything we need.

LOL!!! Here are a few thoughts that came to mind:

THOUGHT 1-Say no, When doomsday comes follow him and use my Saiga to steal their food and water.

THOUGHT 2-I dont feel comfortable sharing my prepping location or my stored necessities with others. Others can not be trusted with my survival. they may decide to use thought 1.

THOUGHT 3- An offsite storage area that requires me to drive a gas powered vehicle several miles into the city during a large scale catastrophie sounds like a suicide mission.

THOUGHT 4- everyones priorities are different, If we rely on food and water in a storage unit. what happens when it runs out.

I think their money is better spent by investing in training( wilderness survival training, firearms training, medical/First aid, Finding alternate sources of food and water, stocking up on guns ammo, and learning to fight, shoot, and stab to protect and feed their families.

When civilization breaks down, the gloves are off. Fight to survive.. I want nothing to do with his prepping group. Am I way off on my thinking? What are your thoughts?

I think a lot of this depends on the type of catastrophe. If it is disease, you may be better served being a hermit living far from civilization and living off the land. It takes a special skill set and mindset to do this.

The fewer people that know about your reserve resources, the safer they are from being looted or plundered.

I don't think that it is a bad idea to have a week or two worth of supplies since brown outs/black outs or natural disasters like fires, earthquakes, floods etc. can make it so resupplies are put on hold for a certain length of time.

I agree on the survival training.

The only things that cannot be stolen or taken away from you are your knowledge and skills.

Hear! Hear!

So I watched last weeks Doomsday Preppers again. I wanted to see if it was possible to find these people. At the beginning of the show they showed a satellite view of his 700 acres. Then they had the local sheriff there. While watching the ...

I thought it funny he built on the EDGE of the property too rather than as remote as possible. Not that a central location on his property is best, but two minutes off the main road (at the most)? He's obviously got an ego that interferes with his common sense.