Concealed Carry coming to Illinois

It's great to hear the court passed this!

However...

I can probably predict what the crew in Chicago will come up with as their "alternative" plan... rolleyes.gif

Let's see, $500 per year for the permit, $200 per year for the mandatory training courses, written permission from the county Sheriff (oh, you have to show 'good cause' to request the permit, and 'self defense' is not applicable), mandatory registration of every gun you intend to carry... Did I miss anything?

• Like 2

Hold on tight, it's gonna be a wild ride. Barring an appeal, if Illinois passes concealed carry, will they go with "shall issue" or will they follow in New Jersey and Maryland's footsteps and pass a "may-issue" law? I wonder. And if/when it goes "may-issue" then keep an eye on the US 4th Circuit Court of Appeals decision in the Woollard v. Sheridan case, where Woollard is challenging Maryland's "may-issue" statute. Woollard already won at the district court level. The appellate court is expected to announce its opinion this spring.

Since Maryland is in the 4th circuit, and Illinois is in the 7th circuit, the Woollard case would not be binding on Illinois. Here come the appeals to the US Supreme Court.

This could take a while.

• Like 2

I have to agree that this will be going upstream, and probably with a request for a stay on the order pending US supreme appeal. Conflicting circuit rulings on same or similar issues tend to ripen an issue for the supreme court. I'd just as soon they deal with the issue before the last couple sorta conservative justices retire or have a stroke or something. You know Obama won't be putting any pro 2A justices on the benches. Ginsberg is expected to retire this time around too, so he will be putting in a fresh clone too.

• Like 1

With the Heller and DC decisions already in place in SCOTUS it'd be unlikely that they would even hear it. With His High Holy Imperial Commander Quinn in place, one can surely count on it being may issue in order for the Liberal-controlled counties to keep as many people as possible from being able to defend themselves. If they try over-pricing the permits it'll just bring a shit-storm of suits against the state since there are so many references available as to what other states charge...but that doesn't mean they won't attempt it. It's just a shame that the good people of the state suffer at the hand of the hands of the idiots in Chicago.

And I'd bet they won't recognize any other states' permits as well.

Edited by mogunner
  • Like 1

Pardon me if I don’t become giddy with delight. The state, unfortunately, is controlled by anti-gun Chicago politicians (including some RINO’s). Lisa Madigan is the Illinois Attorney General. She’s the daughter of Mike Madigan; he’s the Speaker of the House, and Chairman of the Illinois Democrat Party. Mike pretty much runs the state, and Lisa is a bobble head. Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel is a powerhouse in this state, because he controls the Chicago “machine” and the Zombies that rise from the dead to vote every election. Many of the Illinois legislators, from Chicago either work for the city or Cook County or have relatives who do. Obama has a tremendous amount of clout in this state also, and will be working behind the scenes, and in the public spotlight to get this decision reversed or delayed. Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan fought the lawsuit, and says she will take time to review the ruling before deciding whether to appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court. I’m betting she’ll appeal the decision to the US Supreme Court, and ask for a delay on implementation until it goes before them. It’s going to be a long drawn out affair, and any result CCW will undoubtedly be complicated and costly. And, as mogunner mentioned, Quinn will do everything he can to delay this, Don't forget wwe also have Tricky Dick Durbin as US Senator, so I'm sure he have his slimy hands in this also. The deck is pretty much stacked against us, especially if Obama has the chance to add another left-wing Justice to the SCOTUS be fore this got to them. Them you could see Illinois' chance for CCW, and existing CCW in other states go bye-bye.

• Like 1

Here in NY I here just to get a permit to have a handgun it is 9 to 18 months in my county.Thats just to own a pistol, forget CC in Onondaga county. They drag there feet to discurage people I feel. I never got my permit when I turned 21. All my friends got CCs.They handed them out like candy on holloween then. I did'nt feel a need for it. My huge mistake. I want it now, and it would be easier to move in 2yrs when the kids are out of highschool. This is from my wife. She wants a CC too. I understand why some of there guys aren't all happy happy joy joy. We could move to another county, but if your moving do it right and once and for good.... Hopefully.

Edited by rnemhrd
  • Like 1

The talk on my reps facebook page is that the Dems will have to deal. As mentioned, they had their chance to write very restrictive legislation that meets their goals, and shot down everything. That's how they ended up in this situation where the courts decided, and decided very broadly. Now, the repubs have the ability to shoot down ANY legislation they dont like. In that scenario, if nothing is legislated, because the courts said we WILL be a CCW state in 180 days and we already have a firearms permit system in place, the FOID will become a defacto CCW in Illinois.

In order to prevent every FOID owner effectively having a CCW, the Dems will have to deal to add the restrictions they want (classes, fees, restricted areas, etc). Im hoping the repubs at least get reciprocity out of the deal.

• Like 1

The talk on my reps facebook page is that the Dems will have to deal. As mentioned, they had their chance to write very restrictive legislation that meets their goals, and shot down everything. That's how they ended up in this situation where the courts decided, and decided very broadly. Now, the repubs have the ability to shoot down ANY legislation they dont like. In that scenario, if nothing is legislated, because the courts said we WILL be a CCW state in 180 days and we already have a firearms permit system in place, the FOID will become a defacto CCW in Illinois.

In order to prevent every FOID owner effectively having a CCW, the Dems will have to deal to add the restrictions they want (classes, fees, restricted areas, etc). Im hoping the repubs at least get reciprocity out of the deal.

If that's true, why should the pro 2A crowd have to suffer this liberal machine any longer? Drag your feet and give them nothing, and Illinois would have went from a luaghing stock to the envy of the Nation just like that.

If that's true, why should the pro 2A crowd have to suffer this liberal machine any longer? Drag your feet and give them nothing, and Illinois would have went from a luaghing stock to the envy of the Nation just like that.

Really, the only thing we have to gain is reciprocity. Which is a big deal here, because so many people have family in Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc. Also, lots of the pro-2A crowd go north to hunt. Theres alot of interstate movement here, so reciprocity would be a very good thing for us.

• Like 1

I've talked with the head of the Illinois Conceal Carry group,(even worked a gun deal once), and he's been working his ass off this for years.

Thw way the ruling read, and the way I understand it. . .

Illinois has six months to make a law that is reasonable or the stay is lifted after 180 and then it's a free for all. Obviously the legislators are not going to allow that. The good news is that there is already a decent bill ready to be presented in January when they head back into spring session. The bill was created with the NRA, Illinois Rifle, and the Concealed carry group sitting in.

Madigan and Chicago can piss down there legs and get a warm feeling from it, but the ruling stated clearly that the state failed to present a compelling argument, and this is no longer an argument about the second ammndment, since the Supreme Court ruling already gace us back this right.

• Like 1

I've talked with the head of the Illinois Conceal Carry group,(even worked a gun deal once), and he's been working his ass off this for years.

Thw way the ruling read, and the way I understand it. . .

Illinois has six months to make a law that is reasonable or the stay is lifted after 180 and then it's a free for all. Obviously the legislators are not going to allow that.

Not necessarily. Unlike other states, we have the FOID system in place. Because of that, all Illinois gun owners have already passed a state background and mental health check, in line with other states CCW. So, we already have a commensurate legal CCW system in place. The only reason for further legislation is if they want to mandate mandatory classes or charge for permits.

• Like 2

Really, the only thing we have to gain is reciprocity. Which is a big deal here, because so many people have family in Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc. Also, lots of the pro-2A crowd go north to hunt. Theres alot of interstate movement here, so reciprocity would be a very good thing for us.

I agree. To show how brain washed we all are in Illinois, I actually needed to practice saying the word "reciprocity" as it was not in my vocabulary prior to yesterday. Crying shame, who would have thought the gun control freaks were responsible for illiteracy as well. Bunch of D-bags. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Venia

If I am not mistaken, the "Bad Guys" have been and already do carry concealed weapons. Might be nice if "Good Guys" could as well, eh?

Does Chicago have some sort of "Must Submit and Die" law there for honest citizens???

• Like 1

I love to see the supposedly intellectually superior pout like children when they don’t get their way. His rationale is scary, his police force is incapable of providing protection to the residents of Chicago & and every gang banger on the street is already illegally carrying a gun concealed.

What have the gun laws afforded this community, city or state? 30-35 people get shot every weekend around here, is he telling us it would jump to 60-70 a weekend if law abiding citizens carried?

We have the most restrictive gun laws in the country and some of the worst violence as well. Get a clue Rahm!!

http://www.suntimes.com/16974496-761/emanuel-calls-federal-appeals-ruling-on-concealed-weapons-wrong-headed.html

Edited by Venia

We will certainly end up having to take a class, and pay a fee. Most states require a class and or fees. Question is will people with carry permits from other state be able to carry here. If so, and you have a permit, say from Utah, you'll be good to go. If not and you are required to get Illinois trained and an Illinois permit along with Illinois fees, then concealed carry may take more than 180 days actually take off.

• Like 1

We will certainly end up having to take a class, and pay a fee. Most states require a class and or fees. Question is will people with carry permits from other state be able to carry here. If so, and you have a permit, say from Utah, you'll be good to go. If not and you are required to get Illinois trained and an Illinois permit along with Illinois fees, then concealed carry may take more than 180 days actually take off.

Illinois would probably not recognize the non-resident permits held by it's residents from other states. Maybe they could bypass the training aspect of it, but they will want to make as much money off of fees as possible. Illinois resident = Illinois permit