Saiga shotguns are the used classic cars of guns

Not that there is anything classic or used about the saiga shotguns. It's just that it seems like the teenager who gets a classic car (that was me) as their first car. It super cool, and it's super sweet, but the tradeoff is that you're gonna have to learn to work on cars if you get one because they're always breaking down, they're hard to get working right, you might be tempted to add some custom this or that every once in a while, but they're total eye candy and hall balls when they're going right.

Same with the Saiga shotguns. They don't work right when you get them, it forces you to learn how to work on guns if you didnt know before, they're total eye candy, always want to customize them, and they're a force to be reckoned with when tuned properly.

You got the classic car because you thought you'd pick up chicks, but the smoke out the tail pipe after a month totally takes away its chick magnetism. You justified buying the Saiga for home defense and got 10 and 20 round mags-n-drums just to find out it's never going to be reliable enough to bet your life on it.

God I hate and love this shotgun.

Edited by Dshield55

There is a guy on youtube that makes a pretty good arguement for the potential reliability of the crude Kalashnikov based Russian shotguns. His SBS looks very familiar, but I just can't place it. Maybe it will come to me.

• Like 3

I would say to you Dshield55 to relax and learn your gun. Take it apart and check everything. Follow the reliability tips on this forum.

If all else fails you can sell your Saiga 12 and magazines at a huge profit (see below).

As of 1-7-12 a reliable or unreliable Saiga12 goes for $2,000 USD

All S12 Magazines goes for double or triple their cost just from three weeks ago.

Below: Izhmash announced the development of a new Saiga-12 shotgun variant for practical shooting competition

post-45752-0-56668600-1357585993.jpgpost-45752-0-52241100-1357586002.jpg

Edited by sweetcostarica
I would say to you Dshield55 to relax and learn your gun. Take it apart and check everything. Follow the reliability tips on this forum.

If all else fails you can sell your Saiga 12 and magazines at a huge profit (see below).

As of 1-7-12 a reliable or unreliable Saiga12 goes for $2,000 USD

All S12 Magazines goes for double or triple their cost just from three weeks ago.

Below: Izhmash announced the development of a new Saiga-12 shotgun variant for practical shooting competition

attachicon.gifsaiga_12.jpgattachicon.gifsaiga_12_fpsr.jpg

Excuse me but where are you getting your prices from. I have not seen such ridiculous prices anywhere except for maybe some crazy gougers on Gunbroker! I've seen Glock mags on Gunbroker being sold for $100 each (at least trying) but I picked up 5 Glock 21 mags for $30 each today. Crazy panic pricing on Gunbroker are not the real world pricing on most things.

@ OP, quit your whining and learn how to tune the gun, that or pay someone to do it for you... It'll run like a scalded rabbit.

@sweetcostarica, new 10rd AGP mags, still only $34.95 each direct from AGP... I just received three via UPS today.

Converted Saiga 12, In-Stock, $999.99, http://www.classicfirearms.com/long-guns/russian-saiga-12-gauge-shotgun-1

No need to purchase from Classic, when you can get a converted S12, built that way from the Russian factory, from KVar for $879. Still in stock.

But I agree, It might take some work, but these guns can be made into one of the most reliable semi-auto shotguns available to date.

I would say more like a classic Ferari with four Webber two barrel carburators. They are kind of a PITA to tune but once you have them right everyone will be eating your dust; if they can catch up to it!

@sweetcostarica, new 10rd AGP mags, still only $34.95 each direct from AGP... I just received three via UPS today.

Converted Saiga 12, In-Stock, $999.99, http://www.classicfirearms.com/long-guns/russian-saiga-12-gauge-shotgun-1

You are right Chile about the Saiga 12 magizines from AGP (thanks everywhere I looked were out of stock or cost $$$) but you are wrong about Classic Arms. They are out of stock for Saiga 12 for $999.99 USD.

Anyway thanks for responding and helping me get some magazines for my new S12.

Edited by sweetcostarica
@ OP, quit your whining and learn how to tune the gun, that or pay someone to do it for you... It'll run like a scalded rabbit.

Thanks, theyre backordered but I just ordered a 10 rounder. Hope I get it soon!

Excuse me but where are you getting your prices from. I have not seen such ridiculous prices anywhere except for maybe some crazy gougers on Gunbroker! I've seen Glock mags on Gunbroker being sold for $100 each (at least trying) but I picked up 5 Glock 21 mags for $30 each today. Crazy panic pricing on Gunbroker are not the real world pricing on most things.

Prices for Saiga 12: Going for $2,000 USD price quote from Gun Talk Radio with Tom Greham. He and a guest were talking about the present situation with gun prices due to proposed gun restrictions.

Prices for Saiga magazine: Looking at Aim.com, KeepShooting.com, IZHMASH Saiga 12 Store, all sold out.

eBay has Saiga 12 magazine for a price:

SGM 10 Round Magazine - $61 USD bid with two (2) days to go so it will cost more

Saiga 12, SGM 10 Round - 2 Magazines - $200 USD buy now

PRO MAG 10 Round Drum - $202.50 USD bid with six (6) days to go so it will cost more

Saiga 12 Gauge Factory 5 Round Magazine - $103 USD Sold

etc.

Only KVAR might have them in.

This is why I said what I said above. This all might change for better or worse but this is the situation now.

evil blk, tell me thats a private range behind your house, cause that is just the tits!!!

No. Very long story, but a gesture of appreciation by a very honorable man and I yielded anytime access to that private range. We went out of our way to say thank you for someone's trust. It was one of those moments. Our eyes welled up from the passing of a coin. I will never forget the detail of those few seconds of my life.

• Like 1
evil blk, tell me thats a private range behind your house, cause that is just the tits!!!

No. Very long story, but a gesture of appreciation by a very honorable man and I yielded anytime access to that private range. We went out of our way to say thank you for someone's trust. It was one of those moments. Our eyes welled up from the passing of a coin. I will never forget the detail of those few seconds of my life.

Evlblkwpnz, didn't you tell us that story? I seem to remember you did, and it was a very heartwarming story indeed.