I'll stick with my GM's. I just improve greatly on what little they gave us. Got a '79 Monte now pushing 400hp out of a SB 355. I have a '83 T10 thats currently awaiting a SB swap, My '94 Blazerwill be getting a 5.3 or 5.7 LSx when the 4.3 lets go which will be about another 150k miles. Same with my wife's '95 will get the same. The '83 will get a carbed version and the '94 and '95 will be a motor from '03 or later FI'd

I am selling the wife's '97 Grand Am GT that we no longer have a need for.

I have no reason to buy a new vehicle. I like them being paid for.

Edited by montec
  • Like 2

I'm still nuts deep in "good" GMs... Just no more late models. The Corvette is an irrelevant topic for me simply due to initial cost.

'67 Bonneville Convertible

'74 GMC Supercustom 4x4

'01 Extended Cab S10 (someday probably will get a $500 5.3 when the 2.2 pops, like has been suggested)

GM's 3800 Dexcool fiasco is was did it for me. The 2.2 runs a dry intake, that's the only reason I'm still on that boat. I love my S10! If I do a 5.3 swap, it will be on the cheap, in a vehicle that is dirt simple to work on (2wd S10 is about as simple as it gets), and as a toy so I wouldn't be as concerned about durability.

That's right, that's right! We bad!

We stuck it to millions of hard working folk, changed the rules, and now we back on their dime! We bad! We are the Kwame Kilpatrick of the auto makers! And now our benefactors are gonna get your guns! We bad!
I'm still nuts deep in "good" GMs... Just no more late models. The Corvette is an irrelevant topic for me simply due to initial cost.

'67 Bonneville Convertible

'74 GMC Supercustom 4x4

'01 Extended Cab S10 (someday probably will get a $500 5.3 when the 2.2 pops, like has been suggested)

GM's 3800 Dexcool fiasco is was did it for me. The 2.2 runs a dry intake, that's the only reason I'm still on that boat. I love my S10! If I do a 5.3 swap, it will be on the cheap, in a vehicle that is dirt simple to work on (2wd S10 is about as simple as it gets), and as a toy so I wouldn't be as concerned about durability.

The 3800 wasn't the only thing that got F'ed up by Dexcool. Almost the entire product line did. I had to rebuild the top end of the 3.1 V6 in my wife's car a few years back. When I pulled off the intake and heads, the water jacket was filled with red Dexcool jello. Had to literally scrape and vacuum it out. It did run great afterwards, but then the windows started leaking water, the power windows started to get funky, and the paint started falling off in patches - typical mid-90s GM. That experience also taught me to never again buy a FWD V-anything. When it was time to buy my wife a newer car, if it was a FWD it would have no more than a 4cyl.

Edited by mancat
That experience also taught me to never again buy a FWD V-anything. When it was time to buy my wife a newer car, if it was a FWD it would have no more than a 4cyl.

Yeah anything where you have to loosen motor mounts to change spark plugs is not happening. When ever I get design engineers to the plant. I trot them out and show them how F'd trying to do maintenance is. Probably wasting my time, but give it shot anyway.

The 3800 wasn't the only thing that got F'ed up by Dexcool. Almost the entire product line did. I had to rebuild the top end of the 3.1 V6 in my wife's car a few years back. When I pulled off the intake and heads, the water jacket was filled with red Dexcool jello. Had to literally scrape and vacuum it out. It did run great afterwards, but then the windows started leaking water, the power windows started to get funky, and the paint started falling off in patches - typical mid-90s GM. That experience also taught me to never again buy a FWD V-anything. When it was time to buy my wife a newer car, if it was a FWD it would have no more than a 4cyl.

I'm with you... I did head gaskets on that car when the manifold and manifold gaskets *exploded*... SUCKED... Car was 4 years old. I was lucky it didn't hydraulically seize the motor. #6 filled up with coolant pretty quickly and was always down about 40psi on compression after that. On the 3.1 you're lucky it didn't wipe out the cam bearings.

I too had other problems too... Car went away as did my lifelong customer status.

Anyhow.. I still have GMs and still love the ones I have. Just no more late models (and yes, no FWD V anything... Inline is my preference if I can get)!

• Like 1

The plastic gaskets and dexcool didn't play well. I've still got dex cool in the wife's grand am but upgraded all gaskets, and collant system have been changed out quite a few times, never had it leak into the engine always leaked to the outside.

The plastic gaskets and dexcool didn't play well. I've still got dex cool in the wife's grand am but upgraded all gaskets, and collant system have been changed out quite a few times, never had it leak into the engine always leaked to the outside.

Here's what it looks like when it does... I thought I had one with #6 fill of water, but I guess when I saw that I didn't f around with pictures and just got it sopped up.

Lower intake manifold and plenum gasket... edit: And of course... The "after" shot... Like it never happened... smile.png

post-33185-0-16372300-1358211389_thumb.jpg

post-33185-0-27894200-1358211479_thumb.jpg

post-33185-0-81444600-1358211669_thumb.jpg

Edited by Maxwelhse

Was it the plastic plenum that leaked? I've even heard of bolts loosening as well and causing the leaks. I don't like dex cool but I kept in in this one. It works if kept up, but those dam plastic gaskets were a big killer on them as well. I've upgraded to the felpro metal with rubber. Either way if they ever go again It won't be my issue since I'm selling the car anyway.

The plastic manifold had a 1/8" hole at the EGR solenoid and, as you can see, the catastrophic failure was the gaskets delaminating. My scan tool said it happened at 3200 rpm, 100% TPS, so the water pump WAS moving some fluid, but not as much as it would have been at the 5500 (?) redline. I was trying to get there! :) It literally blew out. Went from running great and using 0 coolant to not running at all and filling the block with coolant in about 2 seconds.

I wouldn't run dexcool in anything with a wet intake. I've seen 3.8s/4.3s with horseshoed connecting rods from hydraulic seizures, personally, 3 times.

Not to say that the new 'Vette will do any of this! Frankly, if I was beating some ass in a 700hp 'vette and it blew up, OH WELL!

I'll stick with my GM's. I just improve greatly on what little they gave us. Got a '79 Monte now pushing 400hp out of a SB 355. I have a '83 T10 thats currently awaiting a SB swap, My '94 Blazerwill be getting a 5.3 or 5.7 LSx when the 4.3 lets go which will be about another 150k miles. Same with my wife's '95 will get the same. The '83 will get a carbed version and the '94 and '95 will be a motor from '03 or later FI'd

I am selling the wife's '97 Grand Am GT that we no longer have a need for.

I have no reason to buy a new vehicle. I like them being paid for.

I swapped a 4.3 to 5.7 TPI from an IROC Z into a 1989 S10 Blazer 4x4 years ago and it was really not too difficult. It was a fun little truck on 35" tires. Brought it to Germany when I got stationed there and made some big $$$ selling it to a German National. I actually miss that little badass.

I swapped a 4.3 to 5.7 TPI from an IROC Z into a 1989 S10 Blazer 4x4 years ago and it was really not too difficult. It was a fun little truck on 35" tires. Brought it to Germany when I got stationed there and made some big $$$ selling it to a German National. I actually miss that little badass.

EASY to recreate and I recommend that you do. The TPI motors were what I would call, "good" GM. Maybe not the boatloads of power the LSx can make, but good old school reliable.

My first S10 was an '89, so I have a soft spot for the box body... chunky dash and all. My head lights failed one night so I pulled the switch out of the dash at a light with my leatherman and jumped the terminals with a paper clip that was in my $10 aftermarket cup holder...

A REAL MAN'S RIDE!

I love the 1st gens. The 2nd not so much. Carbed SB I've seen get the same as the old 2.8, 24mpg highway with a normal foot. The LSx's I've heard over 30 on highway. Running 31's on my '94 with a slight lift.(4leaf rears and t-bar crank)

After I bought my 1st 2nd gen, I never went back (but would should a good deal come up). They are much more refined than their older brothers in terms of NVH. Putting the 2nd gen bench seat in a first gen truck is the best thing I ever did. I still have the custom seat brackets my buddy fabbed up. it added about 2" of leg room (I'm 6'4") in a standard cab truck.

That said, my '89 with a 2.5/T5 lost a wrist pin 100 miles from home and still got me home, at 75mph, at 30mpg... (3.08 gears). It was knocking BAAAAD when it pulled in the driveway.. The $400 truck finally died that night with a mere 208,000 on the clock. :(

Still DAMN sad to think of the day that I watched that truck leave on the hook... But, it WAS a POS. I stepped up to a '98, then my '01 3 door extended cab. Took me over a year to find an extended cab, manual windows/locks, 2.2, 5 speed, w/air/cruise/tilt. The only thing I didn't get that I wanted was the rubber floor mat. :)

That's right, that's right! We bad!

We stuck it to millions of hard working folk, changed the rules, and now we back on their dime! We bad! We are the Kwame Kilpatrick of the auto makers! And now our benefactors are gonna get your guns! We bad!

Please work on your comprehension skills a bit before you try to rag on me and my thread. Apparently you didn't notice that I was talking specifically about the new Corvette, not defending GM no matter what. As I stated, the people who designed this car weren't the problem. They didn't ask for a government bailout. They weren't the ones who made poor management decisions, and they certainly weren't the ones who drained most of the operating capital out of the company.

Oh, and pardon me if I haven't been in the best of moods as of late.

Tim

Edited to delete name calling. I've got close to 5 thousand posts online and have never done that before. My apologies. I will stand behind the rest of my comments though.

Edited by TacticoolTim
  • Like 2

EASY to recreate and I recommend that you do. The TPI motors were what I would call, "good" GM. Maybe not the boatloads of power the LSx can make, but good old school reliable.

I did my swap long before the LSx. I'm not sure the drivetrain would have stood up to too much more power running the tires I had on it, although the transmisison would have been fine. It actually balanced the truck out power-wise after lifting it and all. Plenty of power for a 2 door S10 Blazer.

I did my swap long before the LSx. I'm not sure the drivetrain would have stood up to too much more power running the tires I had on it, although the transmisison would have been fine. It actually balanced the truck out power-wise after lifting it and all. Plenty of power for a 2 door S10 Blazer.

Just swap an entire fullsize drive train. Guys do it all the time!

The rear will usually hold up to 300hp +/-, however the front IFS is the tricky part. I should know its the same rear diff I have in my '79, the trusty old 7.5" 10bolt.

Ok you can stop laughing now. I was joking, as I already blew one carrier in that one, I've got another spare but after that will upgrade to a dana 60 from strange. First gear set in the diff was 2.28/9:1 depending on how you calculate it, now running a 2.43:1 and the other spare I have is 2.73:1

All my 4x4's, the '83, '94, and '95 are all running 3.42:1 same diff. Although the '95 I think is the larger 10 bolt.

Edited by montec

I work as a valet right now and I can honestly say I probably wouldnt by anything American newer then my 86 chevy p/u. The camaros have horrible blind spots, corvette s interior are so chincy but getting better. I could go on forever about many cars. I prefer my older ones.heres my daily driver.

IMAG0194.jpg

FORD f250 powerstroke 359,000 miles and runnin strong as hell I get 19 mpg even if I pull a house behind it. Ive owned a lot of different vehicles but this one is tops but it aint a bad azzz vette

Edited by shankkole
This is what I will say. I too, was a supporter of GM/Chevrolet up until I figured out that the union was killing an American institution. However, I can't be so blind as to not acknowledge an incredible effort that resulted in an outstanding result. Be happy with your Honda by all means, but if you seriously think anything they make could compete with a Corvette performance wise, I would have to say you're delusional.

I only give credit where it is due, and it is in this case.

BTW, somewhat belatedly, the Impala will have a competitive interior next year. Not that it matters to you, I'm sure.

I agree, ill give credit where due, and the Corvette is the exception that proves the rule at GM. Its an outstanding car, and the closest thing most americans can get to a supercar in performance and quality.

Ill look at the new Impala, but after the 4t65e, im done with them. They KNEW is was problematic and couldnt handle the power from the 3800, so what do they do? Drop a V8 on them to sell a few more. A comany with integrity wouldnt have screwed their loyal customers to make a quick buck, they would have re-designed that trans from the ground up.

After that mess, I couldnt run to Hyundai's 100k drivetrain warranty fast enough. That Sonata was a hell of a car. Handled like a Mazda3, plenty of torque, got 28mpg average, still ran like new at 125k, too bad the wife totalled it. But noone had the space and TCO of the CRV, and we needed it for the kids, so there we are.

Ive actually been quite happy with Fords moves lately, and their Taurus is supposed to be very good indeed. When the Sonata got wrecked, I got spoiled on space with an Impala rental. Hideous interior, but man I could stretch out in there.

Edited by mostholycerebus
This is what I will say. I too, was a supporter of GM/Chevrolet up until I figured out that the union was killing an American institution. However, I can't be so blind as to not acknowledge an incredible effort that resulted in an outstanding result. Be happy with your Honda by all means, but if you seriously think anything they make could compete with a Corvette performance wise, I would have to say you're delusional.

BTW, somewhat belatedly, the Impala will have a competitive interior next year. Not that it matters to you, I'm sure.

I agree, ill give credit where due, and the Corvette is the exception that proves the rule at GM. Its an outstanding car, and the closest thing most americans can get to a supercar in performance and quality.

Ill look at the new Impala, but after the 4t65e, im done with them. They KNEW is was problematic and couldnt handle the power from the 3800, so what do they do? Drop a V8 on them to sell a few more. A comany with integrity wouldnt have screwed their loyal customers to make a quick buck, they would have re-designed that trans from the ground up.

After that mess, I couldnt run to Hyundai's 100k drivetrain warranty fast enough. That Sonata was a hell of a car. Handled like a Mazda3, plenty of torque, got 28mpg average, still ran like new at 125k, too bad the wife totalled it. But noone had the space and TCO of the CRV, and we needed it for the kids, so there we are.

Ive actually been quite happy with Fords moves lately, and their Taurus is supposed to be very good indeed. When the Sonata got wrecked, I got spoiled on space with an Impala rental. Hideous interior, but man I could stretch out in there.

I'm a long time member of GM Inside News and have about a thousand more posts there than here. Thing is, I haven't posted more than a handful of times since the bailout, so obviously I'm not happy with GM either.

I started out there as a GM enthusiast but actually soured on them the longer I was there. Tough to overlook the countless moronic mistakes made by management. Also tough to overlook the comments made by UAW workers there. These ran the gamut from "I work hard and deserve 74 bucks total hourly compensation." to "You're just jealous of what I make." to "You guys should support us by buying American, no matter what." OK, whatever.

Maybe I should have been more clear, but I wasn't endorsing any particular company, just one specific automotive effort. I wish GM the best, but it's up to them to build quality vehicles at competitive prices. It's doable, and I have seen encouraging signs lately but the jury is still out.

I'm a long time member of GM Inside News and have about a thousand more posts there than here. Thing is, I haven't posted more than a handful of times since the bailout, so obviously I'm not happy with GM either.

I started out there as a GM enthusiast but actually soured on them the longer I was there. Tough to overlook the countless moronic mistakes made by management. Also tough to overlook the comments made by UAW workers there. These ran the gamut from "I work hard and deserve 74 bucks total hourly compensation." to "You're just jealous of what I make." to "You guys should support us by buying American, no matter what." OK, whatever.

Maybe I should have been more clear, but I wasn't endorsing any particular company, just one specific automotive effort. I wish GM the best, but it's up to them to build quality vehicles at competitive prices. It's doable, and I have seen encouraging signs lately but the jury is still out.

75 bucks an hour to push a button on an automated machine? Is this a skilled labor? WOW! My pediatrician charges us 85 an hour and has a PhD. My buddy is a Mercedes Master Technician with over 15 years of experience after going to school in Jersey and Germany and only charges 65 an hour.

No wonder why the cost of shitty GM cars has gone way up. Unions used to protect workers from danger and unfair practices. Now, it seems they just hold the companies hostage and have some kind of sick liberal agenda.

The new Corvette is bad ass. Too bad the guys that could afford them are now out of work or are working jobs far below their skill set. Hopefully, GM will go under and somebody can buy and rebuild it. They could pay living wages to unskilled non union labor like all the other successful companies.

• Like 1

post-44856-0-49879000-1358457969_thumb.jpg

I like Corvettes but this is more my style and I have beat a few Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes with it at the local drag strip. We go out there once every year or two to pick on the V8s. I kind of have a thing about GM anyway after doing some work at several GM plants, BUT i will say the new Corvette does look nice. Maybe I will have to look into a turbo so I can run under 10sec 1/4 miles!

Oh and it is made in the USA right in my garage!

Edited by misterT
  • Like 1
the one chevy made in the US lol funny how most "imports" these days are more domestic then domestic brands.

as for me my Baby is a japanese car but its built by me for me now i tore her down and shes getting a new heart and drivetrain its going to be my fastest car yet my target weight is 2800lbs with me in it sounds a bit heavy but not so much considering im a very big guy and i do plan on making 800-900whp AWD

Rice is nice, no doubt. I've done it myself. So with your setup you should be expecting sub 3 seconds in 0 to 60? Just curious. How many Gs? With that featherweight platform and AWD, I would expect 1.3 unless you chintz out on the tires. You might possibly have the world's fastest accelerating, best handling car. That's awesome!

Ferrari will be knocking on your door.

A few guys in my family are DSM builders. The thing about little builds like that is once you cross around 400 hp stuff breaks. My cousin's talon twisted the transmission off of the engine twice. Fun car though.

the one chevy made in the US lol funny how most "imports" these days are more domestic then domestic brands.

as for me my Baby is a japanese car but its built by me for me now i tore her down and shes getting a new heart and drivetrain its going to be my fastest car yet my target weight is 2800lbs with me in it sounds a bit heavy but not so much considering im a very big guy and i do plan on making 800-900whp AWD

Rice is nice, no doubt. I've done it myself. So with your setup you should be expecting sub 3 seconds in 0 to 60? Just curious. How many Gs? With that featherweight platform and AWD, I would expect 1.3 unless you chintz out on the tires. You might possibly have the world's fastest accelerating, best handling car. That's awesome!

Ferrari will be knocking on your door.

A few guys in my family are DSM builders. The thing about little builds like that is once you cross around 400 hp stuff breaks. My cousin's talon twisted the transmission off of the engine twice. Fun car though.

no DSM in my build, its a Nissan! im building an RB26, im going to be using a 2.8L stroker kit from Tomei for the bottem end and im going to completely build the head i want a fully reliable daily driver reliable 800-900whp on pump gas im not going to daily drive it but thats how i want it

im making a list of all parts but its not quite done yet but i do already have the main parts.

-Kouki S14 in pearl white

- R33 GT-R Front Clip

- R33 GT-R complete rear subframe

i chose an R33 over the R32 because it has vastly superior suspension design and it comes with Brembo brakes all around free upgrade! i may end up getting 2 piece rotors for them and Hawk pads.

i also already decided on Moton coil overs with separate reservoirs, heres a pic i found online i havnt ordered these yet

MOTON_OMFG.jpg

Edited by Battosaii