Lathe Saiga projects?

a buddy of mine is getting tired of paying storage fees for his dads metal lathe. I told him i'd "store" it until he found a permanent location. I've taken 2 courses at the local community college in machining so i have the fundamentals. Don't expect me to turn out a fucking masteripiece, but i'll give anything a shot.

ideally i'd run into a mill and i could dick with making mags. however, that's not the case. I'm stuck making round things. I have a drill press if that helps with the ideas.

What can i make?

Caspian

Remember, there are no dumb ideas, only dumb people saying things. :lolol:

Edited by Caspian

Flash hiders and brakes dude! I want one that looks like a 74' style AK brake for my AKS-12. I don't care how well it works as long as the shot doesn't hit it. Of course the end would have to be open. I just want it for looks. IF you can turn metric female threads I would also like to see some threaded adapters or basically muzzle nuts to fit the S-12 and S-410 that we can weld other brakes to (even set screw types) and thread them on our factory threaded muzzles. I'm having that done now with one of Johnny Mac's set screw sternum scrapers.

Another idea is custom forward grips.

humm.....all very good ideas. I love my Tromix bayonet lug w/15 bayo and i Love the idea if Johnnymcado (sp?) flashider with the meat tenderizer end. however, i could never use the two in conjunction with each other. maybe i can make a slim tenderizer....uh....flash hider that will work with the bayo lug.

the AK-74 break is a good idea. i have one on my AR and it does a hell of a job. i bet it would do wonders on a 12 ga.

keep em coming.

caspian

I believe that's Slag's 12-C. He said it came on the gun when he bought it in Fayettenam. I bought my 1st S-12 from Slag. He's got some real nice guns.

This brake is actually a door breacher, designed for blowing the hinges off of doors... its really wicked...

Here is other end of the gun:

post-1731-1131763394_thumb.jpg

Edited by slag

Slag,

Where did you get those? Do you have any for sale? I'd rather buy a professional looking one like that than spend days trying to get one that looks near as good.

Also, I like the AK74 idea, but don't you think it will make the gun a bit front heavy?

Caspian

Slag,

Where did you get those? Do you have any for sale? I'd rather buy a professional looking one like that than spend days trying to get one that looks near as good.

Also, I like the AK74 idea, but don't you think it will make the gun a bit front heavy?

Caspian

I picked up this 12C out of Ft. Bragg about one year back. It came threaded for REM chokes, with ghost ring sights, and the attached door breacher. Sorry, I don't know anything about the breacher itself....

post-1731-1131804260_thumb.jpg

Man, I looked for the one Slag has for a long time after his first post showing it. Can't help but think that it's something that was just turned out by someone. I think there was a picture and cad drawing in the gallery of an AK74 style brake someone on the board turned out as a project that was pretty tough also.

Edit-Mudsocks modified AK74 brake

post-1866-1131815927_thumb.jpg

Edited by 6500rpm

You can turn barrels if you know how to and how to drill the hole for the gas port from the Nagant barrels.

You can also make flash suppressors and muzzle brakes.

You can also make gas pistons from stainless steel for US compliance. If you are good you can externally thread barrels for muzzle brakes and internally for shotgun chokes.

Will Fabarms sell their muzzle break- door breacher separately?

I would like a muzzle brake for one of my 12 gauge shotguns. I wish I had access to a mill or lathe to make parts, I just paid $30 for an AR 15 stock adapter to use on my .22 rifle for my children. If I had a lathe all I would farm out is cutting threads since it's beyond my skills.

Edited by uzitiger

About the only thing you can do is make gas pistons. You'll need a mill to make muzzle brakes/flash hiders as well as a rotary table to index the slots. Rotary tables don't come with three jaw chucks so you will have to buy one of them and attach it to the table. Or you could buy two rotary tables and a pair of dead centers and use it with a dog drive. But all that shit is expensive. You could thread a barrel, but you would have to use a steady rest and it could only be done if you were to cut the barrel shorter after it was threaded back from the muzzle. That would be if you left the barrel on the gun. Threading would be no problem if the barrel was off the reciever, but you would need a press to get it off.

It is really hard to get much done if you only have one piece of equipment. Most gun part manufacturing operations require the use of more than one piece of equipment. I don't have everything that I really need, but here is a list of what I use on a daily basis.

Lathe

Milling Machine

TiG Welder

Horizontal Metal Saw

Vertical Metal Saw

Industrial Oven

Engraving Machine

Bead Blaster

Hydraulic Press

Drill Press

Oxy/Acetelyne Set

Solvent Tank

Those are the big items. Then there are all sorts of other standard metal working equipment like grinders, sanders, air compressors, paint guns, rivet guns, etc. Not to mention all the tooling needed for the Lathe and the Mill. That shit gets very expensive and you never seem to have the right cutter on hand. Just a carbide cutter that I use to make 50AE AR-15 extractors runs $50 and they break from time to time.

Then you need a good assortment of raw material, which is really a pain in the ass. You have to buy 20 friggin feet of everything or pay out the ass for a smaller piece. So to build one flash hider, you will end up buying a 20 ft piece. If it's R&D, and the thing doesn't work out, you just pissed away all that.

With all that said, I would suggest you start with making U.S. gas pistons. Buy some 1" stainless bar stock and you can cut both the piston itself and the carrier extension from the same stock. It would be faster to use 5/8" for the carrier extension, but then you'll be buying 40ft of material.

It is very hard to make any money when you are starting out with minimal equipment. I lost my ass when I started and learned the hard way.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

Like Tony is telling you, to make money you need the propper tools.To make money you need to produce quality product quickly. However, if you have time many projects can be made with a lathe and drill press and carefull planning. Hand tools are required, but much cheaper than power machinery. Use your minds eye. A flash hider/muzzle brake can be made by drilling the holes on a drill press before turning out the inside of the 'cage'. Same with the serrated end, make the piece long, and drill holes to center on the cut-off piont.

Imigination is the only limit, and experiance can only come from f^@#$ng around with it.

Centerfire Systems has 91/30 Nagant barreled recievers (cut to carbine length) 10 for $49.97 ,so have fun!

G O B

Sorry to repeat myself here but I gotta. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE never EVER cut up a VENERABLE mosin nagant thats in usable condition! Just as you guys love your saigas (I'll be joining the group when I buy one) I love the mosin nagant rifle It has to much history, class, and simple elegance to be put to the chopping block for the barrel! :cryss::cryss::cryss:

Also, at $20 a transfer for the rifles he's gunna have a big bill... ( assuming he doesn't have a C&R)

Edited by SKS_madman
Also, at $20 a transfer for the rifles he's gunna have a big bill... ( assuming he doesn't have a C&R)

I dunno whos been boning you on your FFL Xfers... but I know I can do a hundred guns all at once on *ONE* nics form... one check... is all it takes... meaning one FEE...

My FFL guy did 6 rifles at once... $10.00

yeah... TEN BUCKS...

6 guns one nics... no problem.

I would think that barreled receivers... 10 of them... one nics check... $10.00

go figure.

:smoke: