9mm $125. 500rd? 250rd? 100rd? Nope. 20rd.

(which was crap, IMOH)...Winchester Black Talon was AWESOME defensive ammo (still is) but got caught up in the "Brady gun ban" frenzy in the early 90's... Many states (Massachucets) banned them by name alone, They even made rifle bullets under the Black Talon name. I had a box of .308 / 165gn, but long ago reloaded and shot them up - not knowing that no more would be available...

Anyone remember the "Black Rino" hysteria that followed...? ( It used "Pin-Grabber bullets in a nickle care. Was supposed to defeat ALL levels of body armor...)

Winchester wisely pulled / cancelled the "Black Talon" line and came out with the SXT stuff. Basically the same projectile (with six "petals" instead of eight) - in a brass case, rather the nickle case. Even has the black coating on the bullets... I always said the if Winchester had called the "Pink Fluffy Clouds" or "Snuggle-Teddy's" that none of the hoopla would have happened. The Anti's just focused (as usual) on the "Black" and menacing name...

I still have full boxes of .45 ACP, 9mm and (for some reason?) 10mm Black Talons - for a rainy day..

It was the first big improvement in HP handgun ammo since the Silvertip (which was crap, IMHO)...and the CCI/Lawman "Flying Ashtray" ... Which wasn't too bad.

Macbeau sends...

• Like 1

I can't say this holds true for all ammo anywhere, but this part is true: A friend of mine bought a crate of .22 Remington ammo that was recovered from the 1976 Johnstown Flood. He bought it around 1979 or so. He and his Dad actually kept records of their range results with it. (His Dad was an obsessive-compulsive engineer. He had records for everything!) Out of that entire crate of ammo that had been submerged in floodwater for a couple weeks, they had a grand total of 3 misfires. That's all. Pretty amazing, imo. smile.png

(I think they shot off the last few boxes around 1997 or so.)

I hear tales of ammo failures online from water, gun oil, skin oil, snake oil, etc... Never had any problems myself, including my reloads.

Edited by Ronin38

If ammo is stored properly, it will keep for eons. Look at how much x54R was from the turn of the century and still goes bang. I had some 175gr cupro-nickle "sniper" rounds(nickle jacket instead of copper) that shot great, but were only run for two years(1907 and 1908). All my ammo is sealed in ammo cans with desiccant packs. My LTS cans are sealed with cable ties so I know those are both full and not for range use. My 3 1260 cases of Yugo M67 is still sealed in the original spam cans inside the wooden crates, then set inside a cannon shell can(88mm or 105mm, can't remember) with desiccant and the latches are wire sealed.

I've even picked up .22LR at the public range the local club dropped during reloads. I can usually nab close to a brick if I go on Thursday afternoon. If the shell is dented, corroded, or broken, I pull the bullet for my .22 Benjamin. Otherwise, I use it next range trip for paper punching, and save my new stuff for later days.

$6.25 per rd?! When you try to rob people, isn't it customary to load the bullets INTO a gun and point it at them?

They aren't trying to rob anyone, they're simply looking for someone willing to pay the ridiculous price.

Going price on Gunjoker is cheaper than they're.

I agree. The market place gets its chance to speak. Some "gougers" really do provide a service by ensuring a supply so that those folks who GOTTA HAVE IT can...for a price I just failed to get my scarastic smiley in there.

It's not really like fine wine so much as it's like vintage Courvoisier - it's really not all that great, and you can still buy it today, but some people are nostalgic for the old label.

If ammo is stored properly, it will keep for eons. Look at how much x54R was from the turn of the century and still goes bang. I had some 175gr cupro-nickle "sniper" rounds(nickle jacket instead of copper) that shot great, but were only run for two years(1907 and 1908). All my ammo is sealed in ammo cans with desiccant packs. My LTS cans are sealed with cable ties so I know those are both full and not for range use. My 3 1260 cases of Yugo M67 is still sealed in the original spam cans inside the wooden crates, then set inside a cannon shell can(88mm or 105mm, can't remember) with desiccant and the latches are wire sealed.

I've even picked up .22LR at the public range the local club dropped during reloads. I can usually nab close to a brick if I go on Thursday afternoon. If the shell is dented, corroded, or broken, I pull the bullet for my .22 Benjamin. Otherwise, I use it next range trip for paper punching, and save my new stuff for later days.

That's sort of my argument... The rounds in my carry guns are not stored properly. They're beat around in the mag, exposed to high humidity, low temperatures, rapid changes between the two (A/C to outside, or cold outside to warm inside), etc, etc.. The first time I decided to trade ammo out of the carry guns it was 3 years old and looked obviously worse for the wear compared to the brand new stuff I swapped in.

Like I said, maybe I'm just being too OCD on this one... I just want to be damn sure if I need it to go bang that it does. I don't go out and just burn up hyrdashok's at $1+/ea (last year... god only knows how much now!) so they don't turn over through attrition.

That's sort of my argument... The rounds in my carry guns are not stored properly. They're beat around in the mag, exposed to high humidity, low temperatures, rapid changes between the two (A/C to outside, or cold outside to warm inside), etc, etc.. The first time I decided to trade ammo out of the carry guns it was 3 years old and looked obviously worse for the wear compared to the brand new stuff I swapped in.

Like I said, maybe I'm just being too OCD on this one... I just want to be damn sure if I need it to go bang that it does. I don't go out and just burn up hyrdashok's at $1+/ea (last year... god only knows how much now!) so they don't turn over through attrition.

I take my carry ammo out of the gun every year, and swap it out for new stuff - the old carry ammo just goes back in a box marked for target practice.

• Like 1

I take my carry ammo out of the gun every year, and swap it out for new stuff - the old carry ammo just goes back in a box marked for target practice.

That's exactly what I do too, except I date my ammo boxes and I always run the oldest first when plinking. The hydrashoks just become the same as the cheap FMJ I would typically run and it just goes in order with the rest.

Glad I'm not just flat out being crazy, as at least one other person is doing the same! :)

Ha, I usually forget to take my mag of carry ammo out when I go to the range and end up shooting it first so it gets swapped out somewhat regularly do to me just being dumb. The wife gets a little cranky due to the cost but oh well.

I got a box of Black Talon 9mm, but only 5 rounds left. I had a buddy that worked for Winchester at the time. I've got 2 yellow, and 2 red tie tacks that look like minature shotgun shells, that Winchester was giving out at the Houston SHOT show back in the late 80's. Plus a Black Talon 9mm that Winchester had shot into ballistic gel to show the expansion properties. All 6 for $500.00 or the highest bidder! lol. (the tie tacks are REALLY nice!) BTW, just joking. I want to keep them. EDIT, oops, only One yellow and ONE red tie tacks.

Edited by coronet