My first Saiga

Just picked up a Saiga 7.62.x39 with 20" barrel.

This is my first Saiga and I want to convert it to an AK configuration.

Does anyone have a good link for videos or walk-through's of these processes?

I have found a couple on youtube but the video quality was pretty bad and really didn't have instructions.

Thank you for any help!

(here's the rifle)

post-47140-0-93142700-1362969926_thumb.jpg

That's a 20 incher! Don't convert that one buddy. Worth a lot more the way it is.

You'll have to excuse my newbness.

Do I have aftermarket options for a pistol grip setup without doing any mods?

Larger mags?

If I could get away without making any permanent changes I would greatly prefer to do that.

The 20's are rare. Much more rare than the 16's. I would leave it alone, but that's just my opinion. You could always add the Saiga skeleton stock to it, but you can't legally use hi cap mags without swapping out parts.

Yup there are a few companies that make "external" stock sets with the PG. I believe Tapco is one of them, you pretty much remove the stock and install the new one, 3 screws and you're done. Kinda ugly but it works. You can also buy an external receiver block then attach a stock and PG of your choice. Ive never heard the 20" was rare but I've never seen one in person either. There are also a few companies that make 30rd Saiga specific mags, ProMag being one i know of but im sure there are others.

The 20's are rare. Much more rare than the 16's. I would leave it alone, but that's just my opinion. You could always add the Saiga skeleton stock to it, but you can't legally use hi cap mags without swapping out parts.
Why can't he just use a US made 30 rounder? I didn't know there was a law saying you cant use more than 10 rounders without converting to a compliant gun.

ETA: hello?

Edited by dubya

Thank you for the info so far everybody

I have a question about the video that was posted....

Is the bullet guide required if I don't plan on using AK mags?

I cycled ten rounds through the Saiga mag without any issues so I'm wondering what it is needed for.

Thanks again!

Hey man!

I also have one of the 20 inchers, but I have not converted it. I have added the skeleton stock, and a muzzle break to it though...

If 20 inchers really are more rare, I would say not to convert it. You can get a bunch of different stocks that will let you have a pistol grip, or the skeleton stock, and save yourself some time and effort not replacing the fire control group or adding bullet guides...

I'd say that if you wanted to convert a saiga, get another one! I did, i got a 5.45 with a 16 inch barrel that is fully converted. I just installed the RSA trigger group too...

The trigger on a stock Saiga isnt that bad, and after some practice with it, your 20 incher will out shoot most other people at the range.

Thank you for the info so far everybody
I have a question about the video that was posted....
Is the bullet guide required if I don't plan on using AK mags?
I cycled ten rounds through the Saiga mag without any issues so I'm wondering what it is needed for.

Thanks again!

and no, if you do not plan on usimg AK magazines, you dont need the bullet guide. Saiga specific mags have the BG built into the magazine, eliminating their need. If you want to use legit AK mags, you will need to install the bullet guide, and modify your saiga magazines to work with it.

Ive got a 20" with wood furniture. Im debating on doing a conversion. I already put a bullet guide in, and filed the catch down, so I feel I have to convert it. lol I dont like the fact of having it unmolested at this point. I have a DMR project in mind for it.

Like someone else pointed out the Saiga in stock form is kinda crappy, the 20" may be rarer than the 16" but it's never going to be a collectors gun. Convert it and ENJOY it! The conversion is 75% of the fun of owning Saigas IMO.

I have it, its tough but heavy as hell. Modified my factory hg and added magpul moe rails to it and shaved a pound off the rifle after ditching the quad rail. Also with that quad rail i would get vertical stringing at 100m. So it kinda depends on what you're doing with the rifle and how much 'rail estate' you need.

Take a look at the Midwest Industries rail. Seems as good or better than everything else on the market, but not excessivly heavy. You can get optic-specific upper handguards too, or just a rail.

Check here: http://jobson.us/922r/ for 922r calculator. Basically, once it can accept 20 or 30 round magazines, you have to make sure there are enough US parts on the rifle. During conversion, the FCG will be 3 parts (trigger, hammer, disconector), the railed forearm will be 1, and try and get an american stock and pistol grip.

This one is pretty good -

Pretty sure there is a lot of information you can search on this site, just got to dig around a bit.

In this video, he removes the gas tube but never ends up doing anything with it.

Do I need to modify the front end at all to put an AK forend/handguard on there?