Place to have a S12 conversion done

Want to convert my sporterized saiga12 over to a folding stock and pistol grip and shorten the barrel from 22 to 18 inches.

Recommendations? I have so far come across mention of Tony Rumore/tromix (but cant find his website) and AK-USA (who hasnt responded to me yet, but is probably super expensive).

I am located in Florida.

If anyone can recommend based on price, turnaround time, quality of work etc I would appreciate it.

Also, I welcome any caveats about currently active converters that butcher guns or steal (reminded of that Diamond Dave fiasco). I would hate to go with someone and then learn from the other members that the guy was a well known problem.

From the reports of numerous happy shooters, Tromix is the way to go.

www.tromix.com

Awesome. I am a retard for not guessing his website name. Anyway, 350 dollars including parts and barrel shortening sounds dreamy. I guess I just go to UPS and ask for a gun-shaped box.

How did you guys ship it? I assume an FFL is unnecessary because you arent transferring ownership.

Best bet is to search on UPS's website and it has some info on shipping guns. FFL is not needed, but there are a few things that must be done that are listed there. The main thing is you have to either call to have it picked up, or you have to go to a service center: not just any UPS place can ship a firearm. Be sure to get insurance!!!

I should think the best thing to do is give Tony a call/email etc & check which way he prefers it be delivered.....No FFL is needed for service & repair on a Saiga SG.....I have always preferred UPS..because most USPS people don't actually know the Laws & Regs & give ya a rash a BS..Also...The USPS people are worthless on delivering Firearms in my area....I've had the MAILBitch just leave $2000 MachineGuns at my Security gate giving access to anyone who wants it.....UPS usually admininsters a little bit more care & common thought...Then again...it depends on your area.....Therefore...whatever Tony tells ya...Carve it in stone... :super:

Definately Tromix. His prices are as awesome as his work for what you want done. That's a lot of work for $350. The parts alone for that conversion would run about half that I think. The Ace stock is expensive but worth it if you want a folder.

I believe you will still need to line up an FFL to transfer the weapon back to you after the conversion.

All of you guys that have Title 1 guns in here now, will be shipping back to you either Friday or Monday. 90% of the conversions have been completed on all the guns. One is waiting on a special length ACE stock, one for a Polychoke, and several are waiting on flash hiders. The hider hold up is for incoming raw material to make them. I should have all the stuff by the end of the week and I'll button them all up over the weekend.

As far as the Title 2 guns go.........waiting on ATF paperwork as usual.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

You don't need an FFL because there is no transfer of ownership. Matter of fact, I have a Saiga 12 in Tony's shop this moment, can't wait to get it back!!

My bad, I thought you had to have an FFL to receive any gun in the mail no matter who owned it. That was dumb on my part because I shipped my Ruger sixgun off to them once and they sent it back to me. DUH :bag:

Hey. I always have to be the voice of dissent, I guess. I am in Miami. Two of the best AK people in the country are both in Ft Myers. One is Chris Butler at AK-USA, and then there is the guy that taught him and sold him his business, Don. I recently was introduced to him after a gun show. I am in the office now, but I will PM you with Don's info when I get home. Not only did he get AK-USA started, but he is pure personal service and quick turn-around, as well as an AK genius. He has done AKs as well as mostly class III stuff his entire life. . From what I have heard about Tromix, like so many other recent big boom 'smiths, I have heard that Tromix can back burner you. But regardless The guys I mentioned are the absolute best in the country, and just happen to be in FL with us.

I'm waiting to see if I get the parts for Christmas. If I do I'll probably attempt it myself. If not, I'm going to find $350 or so worth of crap, and ship it off to Tony for a good quality conversion that I KNOW will look and function great.

Also, where's that thread where that guy had his Saiga totally mangled by someone, and had Tony fix it up perfectly? That thread alone was what made me decide to go that way.

or you can do it yourself. its pretty easy. took me about 2 hours. all the info is on this board.

I am also a DIY guy, BUT. . .my Siaga .223 needed a gas block replacement and FSB work. I can't do those things, and neithe r can many of our buddies here. The Siaga gas block and installation of a FSB is also the same kind of stuff--serious tools needed, that I, for one, do not have.

or you can do it yourself. its pretty easy. took me about 2 hours. all the info is on this board.

I am also a DIY guy, BUT. . .my Siaga .223 needed a gas block replacement and FSB work. I can't do those things, and neithe r can many of our buddies here. The Siaga gas block and installation of a FSB is also the same kind of stuff--serious tools needed, that I, for one, do not have.

I have a full machine shop with everything you can imagine.

PM Me.

Hey all, I had an amazingly fun time trying to ship the gun since all the UPS centers and all but one of the post offices around here is deathly afraid of guns. They all had a fit and refused to ship it immediately. There is a thread in Legal and Political on THR.

I finally found a USPS office that was full of knowledgable guys who also were very pro RKBA. I'll go back to them in the future for gun shipments.

Oh yeah, I sent the gun to Tony. Hopefully I should get it back sometime in January and I'll post pics.

If anyone cares... I thought I'd share my Saiga-saga.

I have been one of those survivalist wackos since I was old enough to shoot, and I've been a LE officer for 21 years. I have always seen the need for a tactical defense shotgun, and always been troubled by the rate of fire and recoil.

When I got enough cash to get a USAS 12, it turned into a DD, so I muddled along with 2 870s, one set up as an entry gun (pistol grip, 18" cyl bbl, mag ext.) one as a tac gun (FAL type stock, 20 bbl w polychoke, mag ext) I always felt they were a major compromise, and no fun to shoot. I discovered Saigas rather late -an officer I supervise has an FFL. I told him 'get me one'. (this was Sep 05)

As is the usual case, when I get hot for something, its always at the worst time. He hunted around, and got an Elite conversion for me. I'm embarassed to say what I paid for it, and it wasn't exactly what I wanted, but I got one. The conversion was rough, but acceptable.

Good news: I sent it off to Tony at Tromix, and he tweaked it the way I wanted. I just got it back today. His work is perfect, and his advice, expertise, and professionalism is superlative. (If you want to see it, he posted pics in the polychoke thread). His prices are more than fair, less than the going rate.

So now I have a $300.00 shotgun that in the end cost me about $1500.00. But, it is the most lethal thing I can hold in my hands, and anybody within 75 yards threatening imminent great bodily harm is compost. I can barely wait for the high cap mags to come on the market. I'm sure in 6 months I'll forget what it cost me, and I feel it is virtually the ultimate assault shotgun. I'm going to qualify with it for use on duty (my dept won't buy us shotguns) and the 870s get greased and put into storage.

Mucho thanks to Tony,and everybody on the forum that shared their knowledge and opinions!

I can only imagine what you paid Elite for your Saiga. Diamond Dave has one of his conversions on Gunbrokers for "Buy Now" $950 + $25 shipping.

That's more than I paid Tony for one of his SBS with Ace folding stock, muzzle brake, and a complete professional job. Tony has converted several Saigas for me, and every one looks like it came direct from the factory in pistol grip configuration.

TROMIX!! Received my S-12 conversion back from Tony today and I was completely fukin amazed!! Wjm is correct; the conversion absolutely looks like it came from the factory. Absolute attention to detail is what Tony is all about!! I can always find a “minor missed detail” or an “it’s close enough” type fit on modified guns like this. Not on the TROMIX conversion though!! I can’t say enough about how satisfied I am with Tony’s work and his attention to detail. It’s like a freaking masterpiece! The pictures of his craftsmanship and work do not even come close to doing him justice! If you ever get a chance to get your hands on a Tromix model firearm, don’t pass it up.

As if the superior conversion wasn’t enough (for some people it’s not), Tony’s customer service is A+. He is very receptive and makes sure the gun he builds, is the gun you want. Tony told me that it would take about two weeks for my conversion (I’m sure this varies day to day). I sent my S-12 to Tony on 12/05 and got it back on 12/22. This is 18 days, minus 4 days for shipping both ways, equals 14 days!! Like I said, AMAZING!!!

TROMIX = Professionalism, Expertise, and Satisfaction. Thanks again Tony.

Edited by AkAgent

I hear ya bro! I wish Cobra was licensed to do this also. I'm going to look into just what it takes to get that way. If the Saigas ever actually do get imported again there will be an explosion of work for people doing conversions. I would definately like to capitalize on that if it happens. Just what does it take to get to get an FFL anyway? Is that all I need or is there more? :unsure:

I also just got my conversion back from Tromix. It is awesome. I feal like I got a new gun. Excellent communication and customer service. I received the gun a week before promised. I never had any doubt about the status of my gun and felt very safe sending my gun to him. Thanks Tony!