Beginning to shop for an additional safe because I want to buy another pump shotgun and just can't fit anything else in existing safe. Proposed budget is under 1K (ie more of a smash and grab deterrent).

Our older Winchester safe is a basic security and fire made in USA. Not super great but not bad either. Shopping around most of the under 1K are China made and just don't seem all that tough. Looked at the Winchester site and only a few models are USA made. Their bigger and higher end ones are made in China like so many others. Looking at a 19 gun Pony that's made in Fort Worth.

If anyone knows a decent quality USA made safe for under 1K I'm all ears and would appreciate the input.

If you're a home owner and have a spare room - you might consider building a small vault, and using relatively cheap fire safes within it.

The home I'm living in (renting to own) had an addition built some years after the initial build - the basement room of the addition has four solid block walls. The weakest points are the doors - one into the rest of the basement, and one into the garage. I'm thinking of either bricking up the door into the garage and installing a vault door to replace the other, or, more likely, just installing two good steel doors with 90-minute or better fire ratings. That would only leave the ceiling of that room / floor of the room above it as a weak point - and I doubt most thieves would think to try to break through a floor to get into a room. In case of a fire, anything not in a fire safe would probably be screwed.

Edited by Shandlanos

If you're a home owner and have a spare room - you might consider building a small vault, and using relatively cheap fire safes within it.

The home I'm living in (renting to own) had an addition built some years after the initial build - the basement room of the addition has four solid block walls. The weakest points are the doors - one into the rest of the basement, and one into the garage. I'm thinking of either bricking up the door into the garage and installing a vault door to replace the other, or, more likely, just installing two good steel doors with 90-minute or better fire ratings. That would only leave the ceiling of that room / floor of the room above it as a weak point - and I doubt most thieves would think to try to break through a floor to get into a room. In case of a fire, anything not in a fire safe would probably be screwed.

Unless those CMU block walls are core filled with concrete and rebar, installing the most secure door in the world isn't going to secure them. You can take a 4 pound hammer and bust through those blocks easily.

• Like 1

Sure you could - it would take a good half an hour to punch a big enough hole for someone to get through, but I'm sure they could do it.

Most thieves don't consider that sort of thing - and don't have the balls to make that much noise for that long.

"These are badass doors, let's just break down a brick wall."

Said no crackhead ever.

I never thought about lowes. I think I'mma upgrade mine soon now. If you up yer budget just a little you can get a Liberty at lowes.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_200439-10283-CO30+GTT_0__?productId=3657954&Ntt=gun+safe&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dgun%2Bsafe&facetInfo=

Take a look at armslist and craigslist as well. I sold a bunch of safes on craigslist to fund mine.

The smaller Liberty Centurion safes (some sold at Lowes) are listed as made overseas on their website.

The rest look like they're made in USA. The 24 gun Revolution looks like it's the size I'm needing and should be under 1K.

Good idea on selling existing safe to fund new one. Small Adobe home here. Space is already maxed out where old one is. New space isn't any bigger either. Plus it will be more of a his/hers safe situation too.

There were only 2 Liberty safes at my Lowe's; a larger one made in China and a smaller (12-gun) one made in USA. Interestingly, the China-made one had a lifetime waranty while the USA-made one only had a 5 year warranty.

Edited by KennyFSU

I took delivery of my Liberty Franklin 50 safe one week ago today. There are certainly less expensive safes and less expensive Liberty safes. But after a lot of research and deliberation this is the one I chose.

post-41803-0-19395600-1376327833_thumb.jpg

post-41803-0-92199700-1376327851_thumb.jpg

The specs that matter;

11 Gauge Steel Body
Exterior Dimensions: 72.5" x 42" x 32"
60 MINUTES @ 1200 Degree Fire Rating
16 - 1.25" Diameter Bolts (2.375" Long)
Interior Electrical Outlet
"Deluxe" Door Panel
30.1 Cubic Ft. Interior
Weight: 1,015 lbs
Lifetime Limited Warranty

Of course I did the thing where I wondered how much other "stuff" I could obtain for what this safe cost. But I've had a break-in before and since then the question of when it's going to happen again has always been in the back of my mind when I leave home especially for extended periods of time.

Now I feel a peace of mind when I go that I'm not sure I can even put a price on.

• Like 2

^ Make sure u bolt it down...you would be amazed how easy any safe is to get open when its on its back.

Very nice!

Thanks, I do plan to bolt it down but I'll have to rent a drill. The drill I have won't go through the slab I don't think. I won't say the door can't be pried open but with 6 bolts each on the inside and outside of the door and anti-pry tabs it will be a job and take a considerable amount of time.

post-41803-0-15983800-1376332252.jpg

"Patriot Gun Safe" , might want to check them out. Had one in 98 when my house burnt/blew up from a ruptured gas line in furnace. Whole house filled full of gas. Small 2 story. EVERYTHING metal was unidentifiable except safe. Charred outside, instant heat seal kept all contents like new. Only a few boxes of ammo broke open from it falling into basement. Even sealed out water/foam damage. Was completely dry. So, yes I have 2 now. Nothing was salvaged except firearms and documents in safe. Had it hoisted out and took to a welding/machine shop to get it opened.

Edited by Ruffian72
  • Like 1

^ Make sure u bolt it down...you would be amazed how easy any safe is to get open when its on its back.

Very nice!

Thanks, I do plan to bolt it down but I'll have to rent a drill. The drill I have won't go through the slab I don't think. I won't say the door can't be pried open but with 6 bolts each on the inside and outside of the door and anti-pry tabs it will be a job and take a considerable amount of time.

attachicon.gifantipry-tabs.jpg

You would be amazed the amount of motivation crack heads can come up with. I have seen bolted down 65kw generators full of fuel disappear off a job site. No need to drill thru the slab get some redhead wedge bolts....

• Like 1

Very nice!

attachicon.gifantipry-tabs.jpg

You would be amazed the amount of motivation crack heads can come up with. I have seen bolted down 65kw generators full of fuel disappear off a job site. No need to drill thru the slab get some redhead wedge bolts....

I misspoke when I said "through" the slab...it will be at least "into" the slab which I don't think my drill will handle. I'll get it done.

Before you buy another safe, google "store more guns" or "rifle rods" (same thing). You might find that you can fit them all in plus some.

Liberty sells rifle rods, pistol hangers and the like. For now I'm good but I am fighting the desire to fill up all the pistol pockets on the door and rifle spaces in the rack.

http://www.libertysafe.com/accessory-rifle-rods-ps-15-pg-60.html

Edited by Squishy

The smaller Liberty Centurion safes (some sold at Lowes) are listed as made overseas on their website.

The rest look like they're made in USA. The 24 gun Revolution looks like it's the size I'm needing and should be under 1K.

Good idea on selling existing safe to fund new one. Small Adobe home here. Space is already maxed out where old one is. New space isn't any bigger either. Plus it will be more of a his/hers safe situation too.

I think I have the smaller one, maxing out at around 15/16 rifles/shotguns. Ended up taking all the interior stuff out except the top shelf and can hold more. Its a puzzle but can hold a few more this way.

Before you buy another safe, google "store more guns" or "rifle rods" (same thing). You might find that you can fit them all in plus some.

Do these really work most of my stuff is bolt action and scoped? Seems too good to be true....

I have used them for years. They work great! They will support my Barrett M99 so you shouldn't have any issue. They allowed me a few years of time/space to save a up the $$$ for a large Sturdy Safe.

BTW, their handgun hangers work awesome for suppressors to.

Those rifle rods look cool and got me all excited. However I just got done seeing if they would work for my situation...no deal. Pistol grips, charging handles and side saddles still got in the way and wouldn't allow any more long guns in. If I had lots more 10/22's they would work wonders. Thanks for info though.

Still thinking of a second safe. Will give me excuse to buy more long guns as time goes on. Would like another 10/22 and some lever actions, etc.

As for the Winchesters made outside the USA...a buddy of mine at work mentioned they are made in Czechoslovakia. I would bet their steel is better than China's.

As for the Winchesters made outside the USA...a buddy of mine at work mentioned they are made in Czechoslovakia. I would bet their steel is better than China's.

I looked at Winchester safes and from what I saw they look like good safes feature-wise.

Those rifle rods look cool and got me all excited. However I just got done seeing if they would work for my situation...no deal. Pistol grips, charging handles and side saddles still got in the way and wouldn't allow any more long guns in. If I had lots more 10/22's they would work wonders. Thanks for info though.

You just described 90% of my collection. They work fine for me. You have to get creative as room runs out but I could fit 50+ guns in a 25"x33" safe. Granted, some of those are tiny AK pistols and sub guns.

You just described 90% of my collection. They work fine for me. You have to get creative as room runs out but I could fit 50+ guns in a 25"x33" safe. Granted, some of those are tiny AK pistols and sub guns.

Damn that's a lot in a tight area. Will have to check again. I tried stager etc. Most I could see picking up space for would be one or two max. Currently I have 10 long guns and a Mini Draco in the 18" x 13" part of my safe now. I'm halfway decent with spacial perception/design but must be missing something.

I have a steel reinforced safe room for my firearms, but I can not stress enough the need to have a secure location for your firearms and not to divulge to anyone what you have. Case in point. My friend and coworker was robbed while he was at a softball game. The thieves stole 2 high end AR's, and 16 pistols including an engraved colt .45 that was presented to him by his now deceased former commanding officer. Should they have been locked in a safe? Yes. But these shitbags were in and out fast and knew exactly where he kept his firearms. Again, for your own peace of mind, make sure your kids aren't blabbing about what mom and dad have at home, and lock those guns up! As a side note my buddy lives in the country, ten miles from the nearest small town.

Nice safe Squishy! I've got a liberty Lincoln. Looks like you went with the mechanical lock like I did.

I love mine. Good luck with it my friend.

P.S. If you want to fill it up quick get a C&R. SKS, P38 and CZ82 in rapid succession filled a few holes.