Sounds like she made an honest mistake lots of others make all the time. Glad it appears it turned out reasonable for her and she wasnt held for an extended period of time.

The problem is not reponsible gun owners forgetting they have legal firearms in their luggage. Honest mistakes happen. The problem is responsible people are not allowed to carry firearms in places where criminals dont care about the law.

It pisses me of that they would even arrest her.

Or anyone for that matter.

Just don't let em through security.

I had an 8" knife in my carry on that I forgot about. Back when the TSA was about three months old. They sent out so I could mail it to my self.

Hey, years ago, I walked all the way up too the metal detector at the Birmingham airport, in a hurry, had to catch a plane to do a job out of town, and for some reason I stopped dead in my tracks, grabbed my back pocket and looked at the guy and ALL I said was OH SHIT, he asked me what was wrong, since I didn't cross "the line", I told him I forgot that my pistol was in my back pocket, he pointed me to the lockers on the wall, told me to lock it up, if it wasn't there when I came back to go down stairs and give them the serial # and description, it be handed to me, BUT, walk into that metal detector, and I was screwed.

I won't talk about the latest time that I went to the airport, but homies ass was drawed up so tight you couldn't drive a needle in my ass with 10 pound sledge hammer, thank GOD I got out before anyone saw.

• Like 1

A coworker accidentally took his wife's suitcase with a 38 inside. He was arrested , but the case was dismissed based on him being a CHL holder , airline employee & polygraph test. He sweated bullets for awhile, and it cost him some legal fees.

Granted, I don't fly all that much. But when I do I know exactly what I have on me and I know about every last grain of sand that may have made it's way into my bag before I ever approach a security screening. I know it's an honest mistake but, come on, how cavalier do you have to be and how little thought are you really giving this when you make it all the way to a TSA screener with a gun on you? I hope she gets off easy but she should be embarrassed.

There are laws to obey when carrying a hand gun. This is part of the responsibility one agrees to when you get a CCW.

Airports are a big No No. She should lose her CCW and be forced to re apply at the least, honest mistake or not. It is clear she dose not take the seriousness of carrying a gun very high on her list of daily to do things. It needs to be as it needs to be for everyone LEO or Citizen .

Don't be a jackass. If there was no intent to commit a crime, there was no crime committed. When you really live with your CCW and carry becomes ingrained as just part of your daily life, it is easy enough to do. Also, there is nothing in the 2nd amendment that says it only applies to places where you have government permission.

So that means the law should not be ingrained as just part of your daily life ? I think that is easy to do as well. A law was broken an she did it.

I am not a Jack Ass. I believe in the 2nd amendment so watch your mouth. Even LEO's need to properly check their guns in when they fly.

By the way my Sis lives near you hows the weather up there?

Edited by jerry52

Exactly which of the several dozen volumes of the US code should we commit to memory?

Followed by which of the state codes?

Followed by which of tens of thousands of regulations?

This was designed so that no one could be law abiding.

Lawfare isnt just a concept its an implemented policy. Simple human nature INSURES criminality, intentional... unintentional... all the same.

Edited by Rhodes1968

So that means the law should not be ingrained as just part of your daily life ? I think that is easy to do as well. A law was broken an she did it.

I am not a Jack Ass. I believe in the 2nd amendment so watch your mouth. Even LEO's need to properly check their guns in when they fly.

That's where I have to question this action by the TSA . What law has been broken. Last I checked TSA ain't law enforcement. They sure as hell don't have the legal authority to make laws. The lady was in position of a fire arm and she has a licence to carry.

How does TSA have authority to do anything more than ask her to leave the area until she has no more big bad scary guns?

When you take your training it is spelled where you cannot carry and Airports are at the top of the list in every State that has CCW

I do not make the laws but to carry a gun concealed you must agree to the laws of each State. There is a burden of resposiblity

That's where I have to question this action by the TSA . What law has been broken. Last I checked TSA ain't law enforcement. They sure as hell don't have the legal authority to make laws. The lady was in position of a fire arm and she has a licence to carry.

How does TSA have authority to do anything more than ask her to leave the area until she has no more big bad scary guns?

You cannot carry a gun into an Airport unless you are going to check it for a flight. and when you do that it must be secured.

As much as we hate TSA they provide security and are justified in what they do by Law.

Do I agree with the Law? Not the way it is now. She screwed up!

• Like 1

WRONG, you can legally CC in the Portland airport. In fact if you have CHL you can open carry in the airport here. IDK about Texas .

You cannot go through security with it but.....whatever.

I hope she can use this incident to shine some light on how stupid the current system really is.

When you take your training it is spelled where you cannot carry and Airports are at the top of the list in every State that has CCW

I do not make the laws but to carry a gun concealed you must agree to the laws of each State. There is a burden of resposiblity

You cannot carry a gun into an Airport unless you are going to check it for a flight. and when you do that it must be secured.

As much as we hate TSA they provide security and are justified in what they do by Law.

Do I agree with the Law? Not the way it is now. She screwed up!

Justified???? Justified???

Writing a ILLEGAL law is no more justification than than robbing a bank or the bank robbing you.

Not to mention a regulation.

I wonder how many boarded the trains to Auschwitz because it was the law...

As for security, creating a problem then offering a solution is the same old Three Card Monty governments have dealt out for centuries.

Secure from your rights is all they secure.

I here you but If she just would have used her brain we would not be taking about this.

This is coming from someone in the airline business. The more you travel, you become more complacent .

As I posted earlier, a coworker accidently did the same thing. He travelled from Houston to Orlando 3-4 times a month, and one time grabbed his wifes suitcase with a 38 snubnose in it. She travelled the road for business and kept the gun in her suitcase most of the time.

Both my wife and I have suitcases pre-packed with toiletries, and mine with small liquor bottles. Sometimes those same suitcases are used for road trips, and pistols are thrown in them.

Shit happens and this was one of the times for Ted's wife.

I here you but If she just would have used her brain we would not be taking about this.

This is coming from someone in the airline business. The more you travel, you become more complacent .

As I posted earlier, a coworker accidently did the same thing. He travelled from Houston to Orlando 3-4 times a month, and one time grabbed his wifes suitcase with a 38 snubnose in it. She travelled the road for business and kept the gun in her suitcase most of the time.

Both my wife and I have suitcases pre-packed with toiletries, and mine with small liquor bottles. Sometimes those same suitcases are used for road trips, and pistols are thrown in them.

I know where all of my guns are at any given time. Kinda irresonsible to lose track of a firearm to the point that your spouse takes it to the airport. I would have kicked her in the twat when I got outta jail.

Mrs. Nugent knew she had that gun. No way that was overlooked getting ready for a flight. Sometimes even bad press is good press.

Are you saying I am in the airline business? I hate flying. But when I teach CCW one rule is know where your gun is all the time.

It needs to be near you in your control or locked up but you need to know where it its all the time. The story does not say it was properly locked up or not in her luggage.

But the fact that she got detained by TSA says that it was improper. TSA runs all luggage through scanners its there job, they have the authority to detain her.

As I said before she should have to re take her training nothing more but this is a Fed issue.

Whether it be an airport or not, having people look in your shit is now a way of life and I hate it more than anybody. I really despise it. Tonight I am going to see a concert at the Gorge in Washington State, one of the most beautiful, serine, isolated, peaceful, places on earth. But there will be some damn jerkoff rent-a-cop with an "event staff" polo shirt and an attitude to match chomping at the bit hoping to find something I'm bringing in to make a big issue out of. It sucks. I just try not to give them anything to get huffy about because I'm really afraid I could go off on one of these guys real easy if I do and get myself thrown out or worse, but God I hate what we have become.

Justified???? Justified???

Writing a ILLEGAL law is no more justification than than robbing a bank or the bank robbing you.

Not to mention a regulation.

I wonder how many boarded the trains to Auschwitz because it was the law...

As for security, creating a problem then offering a solution is the same old Three Card Monty governments have dealt out for centuries.

Secure from your rights is all they secure.

This.

Yes. Things happen, everybody forgets things sometimes, even important things. in the absence of any harm or evidence of criminal intent, then it should be presumed that no crime was committed. Give her a warning to be more careful in the future, and tell her to come back once she has taken care of her pistol.

She may have grabbed the wrong bag, or thought that she'd put the pistol away when she really hadn't (what, you think Ted Nugent's wife only keeps ONE pistol around?). An acquaintance of mine was traveling for business, and passed through several cities' TSA before returning home. Upon arrival, he went to get his P3AT out of the safe... Wasn't there. Looked around the house, then got that sinking feeling in his gut. Sure enough, it had been in his carry on bag the whole time, and nobody noticed. Even though he "knew" it was home in the safe. About a year ago TSA found a Buck knife in my carryon bag. I'd "lost" that knife months before, and had looked everywhere for it. Called the relatives we'd stayed with to look for it, nada. Finally wrote it off as lost for good. Then I had to travel again... I even checked the bag before packing it for air travel, as is my habit. Flew to my home town for a visit, and going through TSA to leave there, they found my missing knife. Managed to keep it because it was my hometown, and most of the agents are locals. I handed it back to the family member who was seeing me off, and got it back later.

Point is, it isn't what you don't know that will get you, it is what you "know" that just isn't so.

Will the CCWer who has *never* left the house, only to realize that they forgot to strap on their CCW piece, please raise their hand? Easy to do, right? If you carry enough, eventually you WILL do that, or some other dumb thing like forget to check your weapon, resulting in walking out the door with an empty chamber, or similar goof up. As long as the world is populated by imperfect humans, we will sometimes forget stuff no matter how careful we are.

Edited by Netpackrat
  • Like 1

And when you do you will be responsible for your situation.

Let I remind you that this is a handgun,not a buck knife and we are post Nazi 9/11. If we took a poll about this I hope most would say she had it coming. If we are sloppy about this what other things in CCW do we let go.

Always know where your gun is . Always.

I asked female CCW holders down hear what they thought and they all said she must not have been instructed very well.

I find that women make the best CCW holders because of what a gun can do. When you bring in the lawyer to instruct them about the law they are all listening , asking questions and taking notes. She needs to be re trained at the least

My two cents. I think jerry52 is correct that an appropriate punishment would be to have to retake the CCL class. Gets your attention but doesn't really harm you in any way legally. I have had to throw away a Benchmade knife because my bride had already dropped me off at the airport and there was no other choice. Sucked but my fine was about $160.00 (cost of the knife). I carry at the airport when dropping off or picking up folks but NEVER try to pass the TSA check point. JMHO