I am considering adding a new shooting iron to the collection. Main requirements are that it be 7.62x39 in caliber and use standard AK mags.Currently considering the SIG 556R and the  ARSENAL SLR107FR-31.

I REALLY like the looks of the SIG and the Gen 2 model apparently is very reliable. The cons are you have to spend another $200 and up to add a pair of irons sights to this rifle which will push the total up into the $1300 range. I will not run a rifle that doesn't have irons of some type on it. Also I've heard the upper and lower needs a Zurich wedge to get it fit tight, that's another $20 part.

The ARSENAL SLR107FR-31 is a good looking rifle and has the polymer folding AK stock already installed. I know what to expect with an AK, and this rifle can be had for right under a Grand. Cons? I've heard the QC can be a little spotty when dealing with Arsenal.

Would also consider the PTR -32, but those seem to be as common right now as dinosaur eggs.

What do you folks think? Anyone own one of these? Would you recommend it? If so why?

• Like 1

I don't have a sig 556r. I do have a slr-107fr. I don't think you can go wrong with the Arsenal. Even if it has canted sights you can send it back and Arsenal will make it right. The sig is a nice gun and will probably treat you well but the arsenal is a classic and a more than proven design.

• Like 1

I have a 107FR - it's a great rifle, no complaints. Since they started building them from Russian rifles instead of Bulgarian, I haven't seen them - but have no reason to believe the quality would have changed.

I'd go with the Arsenal. They make good shit and stand behind their work. The Sig is cool and I want one but they fucked up on iron sights. Your standard AR sights will be too high with the nice factory stock on it. You will probably end up welding on a fucking shrouded front sight post out of frustration. I bet they raise the price of the 556r and pull head out of ass at SIG USA.

The HK is a very nice weapon. I have shot this ghost before. It's very nice and one hell of a weapon. It's probably more bad ass and accurate than the other two but.... FUCK HK. They have their heads so far up cops asses that they completely ignore the customers. They feed us their pistols here and there but forget to make semi auto loading versions of their weapons for sporting shooters. Fuck them, fuck that.

If you do find an HK, I wouldn't blame you for purchasing it. You will pay one hell of a premium.

The SIG is the best deal right now at just over a grand. I don't see you ever losing a dime on that deal if value is an issue. It's a sig, it will run good.

The Arsenal is the Tromix of the AK47 and will appreciate and is a trusted, proven weapon. They will fix their fuck ups if you happen to get the one in a million. It will go bang every time and everybody who knows AK will want to buy it off you, even beaten to shit.

Good luck picking your new pipe. Seriously consider the fucked up Iron sight situation on the sig.

Captain, I hear you, That Arsenal does look nice.

Stryker, I agree 100% on the iron sight situation with the Sig. It's the stupidest damn thing I've ever seen to only offer the 556R with that damn Chinese red dot they ship with it. You can't even find the Sig factory sights they used to offer as a aftermarket purchase anymore. WTF is up with that?

The PTR32 used to be fairly common a couple of years ago, can't understand why the supply of those has dried up...

Don't buy the sig. Leave it to SIG to fuck up the more reliable rifle in history just to put it in a cute costume. Yes they made them a little more reliable, but the accessories like rails are crazy expensive, and hard to get.

Sights was already covered, and if you don't like the cheek weld, tough shit. Arsenals on the other hand are always great out of the box, and built like fucking tanks, not to mention thousands of vendors that have accessories to make it as effective as possible for you.  I have seen however H&K sights welded onto the sig, which looks really bad ass.

Also, regarding the Sig, as a small time FFL, I've had a few of those come through my hands.  They are nice, but not impressive.  Of course, me being a bit of a minimalist, I prefer the AK system because of it's simplicity vs the Sig. And of course, it's nice to have real sights.  Get the Arsenal.  

If you're basing your decision on the iron sights, remember that stock AK sights are crap anyway. So if you care about good irons either rifle will require buying them. At least the Sig makes it easy.

• Like 2

Found a link to the PTR-32 on Atlantic Arms web site. Sent them a question and they responded that the PTR-32 is no longer in production and they have no idea if they will be available again. Guess that one can be scratched off the list for good....

sorry I don't own one personally but was considering it last summer, that or a 551A1.

although the current models seem OK, they have had a ton of documented issues with receiver wear, ejector geometry, gas port size, and twist rate. I can't give you serial number/series info but I would only buy a NEW 556R unless I had detailed info of which problems existed in certain serial number groups.

I really wanted to like the Sig, but even after reading over at Warriortalk Forums where they pimp it mightily, there just seems to be too much BS that goes along with owning one. None of the BUIS that people run on them are specifically designed for this rifle and are just stopgaps, Sig apparently doesn't support it all that well, and I've even read where the picatinny rail on one dudes rifle was canted so bad he had to return it.

Looks like Arsenal is the way to go, at least we get the AK 12 or IMI releases the Ace 32 in semi auto:https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.israel-weapon.com%2Ffiles%2Fbrochure_2012%2FIWI_ACE_762x39_AR.pdf&ei=HReTUrqgMNDNkQf6lIHICg&usg=AFQjCNG5lLaYihXMrhzNnt1Mb7DUIuL40g&sig2=xnN9A9ZblH2odvFvozvIJA

Sig post 2004/5 is garbage. QC gone! Instead replaced with rainbow colored guns. I will take HK over Kimberized Sig

Swiss Sig and Sig USA are not the same thing, and should not be viewed as such at all

Sig post 2004/5 is garbage. QC gone! Instead replaced with rainbow colored guns. I will take HK over Kimberized Sig

Swiss Sig and Sig USA are not the same thing, and should not be viewed as such at all

I have no issues with my Kimbers or HKs. Well, I guess my 91 and 93 will put brass into the next country. haha.gif

Edit: Meant to say county. Doesn't throw them into Canada, just way over there.

Edited by Voltia
  • Like 1

I have no issues with my Kimbers or HKs. Well, I guess my 91 and 93 will put brass into the next country. haha.gif

Edit: Meant to say county. Doesn't throw them into Canada, just way over there.

You dont need to have a problem with them and its great that you dont. My only problem with HK is the price! It keeps me from owning more HKs. And remember you are an example of one. Kimber and Sig can atribute their problems to Ron Cohen. First started at Kimber. And is now Sig CEO. Both companies made a few products but made them well. After Ron both made many different unnecessary products at the expanse of quality. . Kimber is still crancking out mostly crap with low(er) quality materials but they learned One thing from Cohen.....The civilian, The mall ninja and Bubba will still buy it, just give a warranty. Sure they look nice. You can justify the price as long as it LOOKS expansive. He started at Sig in 2004 and the company took a huge nose dive in qualityThey became more of a range gun...a novelty. Look at all themore serius gun mfg out there. Glock, HK (used to be Sig as well), even S&W in the last 5 years.....but especially Glock and HK. They do one thing and they do it well. They make and market guns for Mil/Law Enf. Civilian sales are an afterthought although Glock does this better than HK. Once Cohen showed up to Sig they start marketing to civilians. There are 26 different versions of the P226, some with names like Tactical operator and Scorpion. Sig is turning into Taurus. One has to look gangsta, one has to sound tough, then 3 of the same ones but mix and match finishes...oh and make one just a hair shorter... Thats marketing. Selling a product based on how cool or tough it sounds. Thats not geared to LE/Mil. Thats geared to someone who's gonna shoot 500 rounds a year...maybe. So yes they can outsource parts and quality of material. And thats why they started loosing gov contracts. The guns couldnt handle high volume shooting. They were just riding on their reputation. I guaranty that if he moves to Glock and starts putting out glocks with rainbow colors and tough mall ninja names....I guaranty you will see their entire product line suffer serious reliablity issues.

This is why I dont buy anything from them. All my Sigs are old, 100% made in Germany or W. Germany and 100% function. Im past the phase of buying a gun that sounds cool or are "shot a little carried a lot" or niche guns like these pocket 380 because its "summer time". To me, it has to be cost efective, reliable and parts availability. Even if its an ugly Glock. I will carry a G19 or HK P2000 all year round because I trust it. Because I know it will go 10-15k rounds before I have to do any major replacements.

Edited by Arik
  • Like 1

The sig looks cool, but I would stick with the proven ak. I would prob go with a little cheaper ak too, like the pap as mentioned above, unless you just have your mind set on an arsenal. Then you can use the left over money to modify it the way you want it.

Don't look now, Arik, but unless you're speaking ex cathedra on us, you're an example of only one as well.

Actually Im not. My Sigs are old and work. However....

http://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-91014.html

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?80037-Another-SIG-556-problem-discovered-Gas-valve-ports-reversed

Broken extractor after 300 rounds

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?67275-My-brand-new-9mm-Sig-P226R-extractor-failure!

http://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-75698.html

I realize its all from one forum but the guys on there are more about function and less about tacticool. If you want to find out if your new gun will go 50k rounds or what it will look like after 50k rounds this is the place to look.