So the storm took the power out at 4 AM this morning. 50K plus without it.

Being prepared is a good thing. The generator is running, fridge, freezers, lights and heat. Have hot water, plenty of food and the internet is still working ( The one thing AT&T is good at ).

At current count have six trees down, one large branch split and leaning on the house. Will get that in a bit

Hope all the southern folks make it through okay. 

• Like 6

We haven't lost power but we did get a good bit of snow...probably around 8" total with around .5" of ice last night...made for great shoveling this morning. Now I remember why I moved south from the WV...Most snow I have seen in the Charlotte area in 10 yrs. Sun is out now hopefully the thaw has begun although it's going to get below freezing tonight...

post-39691-0-33895200-1392330062_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Lost internet shortly after first post. Still doing fine and got the tree off the house. Sun is out and it is raining ice chunks. Ran a extension cord over to the neighbor so she has some lights and got her fire going. Looks like generator will be running for a few days until they get the lines fixed. Need to think about a bigger propane tank.........

I'm glad to have some warmer weather. It was in the 20's today.

Sub zero and single digits was getting old.

Living in the arm pit of the nations snow belt, I was glad to see the snow miss us today. Woo hoo.

City of Erie has had 108" for the season with the inland areas 136"+.

I do feel bad for those of you with ice storms. That shit sucks!

• Like 1

Yeah no nat gas lines close. 136" of snow and sub zero temps is one of the main reasons we moved to SC. And yes ice sucks, will be having an intiment relationship with my chain saw for awhile. Total 8 trees down and another 5 that will need to have major limbs removed. On a bright note it will be in the 60's by Sunday.

Had over a foot of snow yesterday, which turned into freezing rain, then rain, then 3 inches of snow overnight! I even heard thunder and saw lightning a few times last evening.

Last week we had a few day of power outage. I was without power for 2 days and my work was without powr for 4 days. All in all I wouldnt call it a helpless feeling. Boring yes, helpless no. I have gas heat so I turned on the stove while in the kitchen, set out about 15 candles around the kitchen and livingroom, which gave an ok light. And used flashlights when needed. Put the food in a storage bin and stuck that outside on the deck, in the snow. For internet i used my cell phone and charged it in my car. For heat I threw on a sweater and an extra blanket in bed, After that it was just boring, nothing to do or see. I read a little but tried to conserve batteries

We had 2 inches of snow at 730am yesterday so I went to work. Buy the time I left AF 1045 we had 7 or 8 on the ground. Over 12 inches by 4pm. Then rain. Then 2 more inches of snow overnight. All secondary roads were packed snow and ice on my way to work, city has no more salt sand or budget to buy more.

It's a good feeling to be prepared in times like this ain't it?

Not only for the comfort and safety of your own family but able to help those around you as well. Me and mine try to do the same thing around here during a storm.

Amen, yeah it is. A very good feeling.

Will still take winter over summer, its like free AC. haha.gif

Edited by Rhodes1968
  • Like 2

I'm glad that Duke Energy cut away a lot of branches to prevent power outages in the Cincinnati area.  Who knows how many outages the prevented.

When I lived in Michigan the power always went out in many areas because of fallen branches.

The last few winters have been mild and this year it was a normal winter which people forgot how to cope with cold weather and snowfall.  My biggest headache was sheet ice on my driveway which made getting out extremely difficult because I have to go uphill to get out.

Edited by uzitiger
  • Like 1

I know you guys are in the south and getting pelted in ways that are silly for your area..

I'm also exceptionally happy that you were prepped and ready to roll for this type of thing.

That said... I have 4 FEET of STANDING (not drifts or any of that BS) snow on my property here in the north. ;)

You guys hang tight and push through it! It's perfect weather for finding a female friend and doing female friend things. (I've never really considered the line of "Hey Baby, I've got a generator and a shower" to be an option before, but it may have merit!).

• Like 6