Thats why I am glad I live a 3 minute walk to work...

I can walk double that and be in woods with enough critters to feed the troop for a while... and if needed... more acreage not too far away that is posted and private... that can be used for the SHTF hide out here scenarios... so to speak...

:smoke:

It should be pretty easy to go out into the woods and live off squirrels if you are a single, but if you got a family, kids, etc., not so much. Just the thought of running out of size 5 Huggies - ugh! I say, I am going to make my stand at the old homestead here. Stock up on Huggies and baby food!

It should be pretty easy to go out into the woods and live off squirrels if you are a single, but if you got a family, kids, etc., not so much. Just the thought of running out of size 5 Huggies - ugh! I say, I am going to make my stand at the old homestead here. Stock up on Huggies and baby food!

:lolol::lolol::lolol:

+1 on that...I do have sanitary wipes in the survival kit, but no diapers.

Granny will want coffee too while she's reloading mags...otherwise

she's cranky as hell!

Theres more than enough BIG CRITTERS here to keep a family fed... types of critters you would share with two or three familys out roughing it...and it would last the bunch of ya a few days of heavy chowin.... ( depending on the weather and the temp outside, should there be no power...)

:smoke:

I would say the Mini14 its powerful enough for anything that we could run into in NC if you dont mind me asking what part of the state are you in and where would you bug out to, if things get to bad here i was thinking about the Uwharries plenty of wildlife and water close by.

A good inexpensive SHTF rifle would be the Yugo SKS. It's already packed in cosmoline (which preserved it for years). You'll also need 7.63x39 ammo on stripper clips to store with it and some solvernt to clean the cosmoline off when you're ready to use the SKS.

Another SHTF rifle would be the Ruger 10/22 with a 30 round magazine and some of the quiet subsonic ammo. That way not too many people will hear you shooting as they would with a centerfire rifle.

I had a bunch of Eagle mags that I bought for 7.00 each on sale a long time ago. They worked ok in my mini 14 and AR15. They are made of plastic and I dont know how long they would last. I think they have a lifetime warranty but that wouldnt do you any good out in the brush. I would just get the factory 20 rounders that are known to to good. There were some factory 30 rounders but these are pricey.

• 1 month later...

I have frame packs packed for the wife and i right now, just in case....water purifier tabs, wipes, fire starter, compase, sleeping bag, emergency clothing, some emergency food, gatorade powder, .22 ammo, knife, hand cracking LED flashlight... etc etc etc.....

also have a water filter, small 2 person tent, and cooking pot on mine.

Guns...I would take....my SteyrM9, Ruger 10/22 International (the heavy barrel target 10/22 would stay home) and probably my Saiga .223 (that or my 870 20 gauge...ammo wieght being the issue...leaning toward the Saiga)

my scoped buckmark pistol would be with the wife.

as much as i like my Yugo SKS.....it is a heavy SOB....not good for buggin out....

• 3 weeks later...

In a real SHTF situation you're probably going to need to arm your family, friends and/or neighbors as well as yourself. So just buy a whole shitload of guns and ammo of various types and sort it out as neccesary when the S actually HTF. Until then...have a blast. :smoke:

B)-->

QUOTE(G O B @ Jan 18 2006, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am no fan of Stoner designs, however everyone should have an AR-7. A .22 will keep you fed, and deal with dogs for almost no weight, and is easily quieted. The AR-7 is waterproof when put away in the stock, floats and packs nicely.

Also-You need to asess the likely SHTF scenario for your area. A rural pack should be much different than an urban or suburban one. However I would recommend the AR-7 for all of them.

G O B

Does anyone here actually have an AR-7? I remember hearing they were unreliable jamboxes for a long time, but googling after them, it looks like someone figured out how to get em not to jam (using some lapping compound and a .30 FMJ). I was just wondering if anyone had done it or something else or if Henry had fixed that problem?

A good inexpensive SHTF rifle would be the Yugo SKS. It's already packed in cosmoline (which preserved it for years). You'll also need 7.63x39 ammo on stripper clips to store with it and some solvernt to clean the cosmoline off when you're ready to use the SKS.

Another SHTF rifle would be the Ruger 10/22 with a 30 round magazine and some of the quiet subsonic ammo. That way not too many people will hear you shooting as they would with a centerfire rifle.

Already got that covered, though I have replaced the cosmoline with good lubricating oil :D I don't have cases of ammo for it yet, unfortunately the prices are sky high because there's a percieved shortage. One of the first lessons of economics is that consumer perception is a large portion of buying behavior ;) In a few months, I'll have a couple thousand rounds of wolf in a moisture controled vault.

AR-7's are verry reliable, but only with a mag made for THAT AR-7. The Charter arms do not work well in Henry's and vice-versa. Also the aftermarket 15's are not reliable at all.

G O B

• 3 weeks later...

An AR15 with a gas piston upper.

I have a lot of ammo already, but I'd be more concerned with being able to find more once its gone.

Anything I'd carry would be in a very common caliber.

In such SHTF situations, ammo would be currency.