Tool, but I still find that I hit the target better if I don't rely on the laser and use the sights instead. I say tool because if someone breaks in and you light them up, they may halt and I can avoid having to clean the carpet...I hate cleaning the carpet. In the absense of them immediately halting though...carpet can be cleaned or rreplaced.

• Like 3

I say tool.  They make getting hits much easier in low light situations.  I have them on my HD guns and if I still worked with guns professionally I would have them installed.  Lasers are not a substitute for good gun handling skills but when you can't see the sights they are there for you.  The intimidation factor is an important added benefit.  If you are using night vision, the IR lasers are fabulous.  Here is a link to a shoot house we did several years ago with Crimson Trace IR laser vertical grips installed on SBRs.  Without the NVGs you can't see the laser, with NVGs it looks like a green stick attached to your gun touching the target.  The guy on the clock is Iain Harrison of Top Shot fame.

Doug

• Like 1

Good for mall ninjas and maybe old blind guys .

Hey now one day you'll be an old blind guy shocked.gif

Tool if it is Green or IR in conjunction with night vision. Can also be just a fun toy (Red) for plinking

Too late...I am an old blind guyhaha.gif

But I dont need a laser to make a shot count

Jim

• Like 1

They are tools & toys.

They help us in certain scenarios, augment our capabilities and performance.

And we can have all sorts of shooting fun with them.

But they are no substitute for basic shooting skills with irons.

We've two friends, the Powells, they both shoot & carry, but they rely way too much on their lasers.

My wife and his go one of our local indoor ranges to shoot, my wife out shoots her with irons while she relies entirely on the laser.

Same thing with her husband, he can hit the target with irons, but he has no consistency, no grouping to speak of.

Edited by ChileRelleno

Don't know what quals are like in your area,

but around here

Draw , shoot 4 shots in under 30 seconds, 7 yards, strong hand/weak hand.

Draw shoot 2 shots under 4 seconds, 3 yds

Same from behind barricade.

No need for a laser, or sights for that matter.

We're working along with their new trainer,(he's a great guy, pushing them to be better)trying to get them to train better, most are not interested.

SWAT guys are for the most part, others not so much.

Lasers aren't meant to be a substitute for shooting with irons imo. They're only supposed to fill the niche of when its too dark to properly use your iron sights. Outside of that qualifier i think theyre just for fun. And that they are! I have a CT laser on my sr22, its fun to use the laser but if it weren't for its usefulness in some way shape or form i wouldn't have bothered. Did i mention i have a wife? LOL!

never liked lasers for the mere fact that they give away your position.

I would rather be sighted on by a laser than some guy with iron sights/ scope out of my view .

you have a split second of awareness when you see the laser, you have none with a scope or iron sights.

• Like 1

No one mentioned that a laser is a great tool to combat sloppy trigger control or flinching.

I have always had a problem with anticipating shots.  Im worse with some pistols than others, but having a laser to use occasionally 're learn' the proper trigger squeeze is pretty useful.  Plus, the wife loves using them and anything that makes her want to shoot more (than she already does), is a good thing.

Im not sure if id ever rely on one for an sd situation, unless I tested it alot, the pressure switch was reliable, and knew for sure it would work.  Im always leery of chinese circuitry.

I assume most under 100bucks are junk.  I had a laserlyte v2 and it broke unexpectedly.  It worked great until it didnt.

Edited by Boomsick42

Don't know what quals are like in your area,

but around here

Draw , shoot 4 shots in under 30 seconds, 7 yards, strong hand/weak hand.

Draw shoot 2 shots under 4 seconds, 3 yds

Same from behind barricade.

No need for a laser, or sights for that matter.

We're working along with their new trainer,(he's a great guy, pushing them to be better)trying to get them to train better, most are not interested.

SWAT guys are for the most part, others not so much.

Sounds like that departments quals are a joke.

Our dept (Sheriffs) and State along with some special groups use a higher bar

I say tool.  They make getting hits much easier in low light situations.  I have them on my HD guns and if I still worked with guns professionally I would have them installed.  Lasers are not a substitute for good gun handling skills but when you can't see the sights they are there for you.  The intimidation factor is an important added benefit.  If you are using night vision, the IR lasers are fabulous.  Here is a link to a shoot house we did several years ago with Crimson Trace IR laser vertical grips installed on SBRs.  Without the NVGs you can't see the laser, with NVGs it looks like a green stick attached to your gun touching the target.  The guy on the clock is Iain Harrison of Top Shot fame.

Doug

Hello

What he said. I had written off lasers as a joke until I got my PVS-14 and helmet rig, suddenly IR lasers are a wonderful tool.

-Guido

As an old, not blind, but in tri-focals, geezer, they are a tool for me. Difficult balancing between 3 lenses for rear, front sights and target. Once properly zeroed, they have most assuredly helped my shooting. If I could have em functional on long guns, I would. Tool or toy, depends on your needs/use.

I find lasers the perfect tool for trigger control.

When I tell a student that their shots are going low and left because they're anticipating the recoil and jerking the trigger they don't always believe me.  Or maybe they do but they can't stop doing it.  The laser dry fire is the best tool for learning trigger control.

As far as using a laser in a real situation...  Mixed feelings about that. 

My Dad was sheriffs deputy with the Lubbock County Sheriffs Dept, and their quals were 200rds.

Varied distance, targets, time, number of rounds and reloads, and they had to shoot at least 150/75% on target.