LEO stops you in public and asks to see your ID....

Well I didn't initiate the stare, he did. I actually smiled at him the whole time i was looking at him and he never reciprocated. I was there on official business and did not produce my drivers license. I showed him my work ID/badge which I was wearing around my neck. That was it. But the incident bothered me. Honestly, I was even wearing a suit. I know cops can be paranoid, but some of them need to lay of the caffeine.

DLT, it's possible that this is how your lusty smile came across

n7H1VKj.jpg

maybe just nod and move on in the future

Damn, never thought about that. I guess gay cops (not that there's anything wrong with that) are out there. They see someone they like and they pull them over to pump them for info so they can later stalk them. That's creepy.

Edited by DLT

It was mostly humorous but, you know, it could totally happen. Some closeted gay guys are not comfortable in their own skin, up to and including a lot of self-hate. Wouldn't take much to trigger some gay cop in denial to bust your ass (pun intended) if he liked your looks :)

No explanation just a threat to arrest if you don't show ID.  Show or no show?

Is there any law in your state that says you are required to show them your ID for looking at them? Or is it that they need probable cause due to reason of suspicion that you may have been commiting a crime? Their are a lot of states where it is leagle to open carry, but not many people do so. So you are not required to give the po po any personal info including your drivers licence. They need probable cause ...

You are familiar with something called "cop block" are you not?  PS Please excuse my poor spelling. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCopBlock                                         

Edited by cscharlie

I generally accept the officer is performing his duty

In my younger days I would have said the same.  But over the years I've come to understand that assumption is not always right.  I'll admit that most of the time a police officer is doing his duty.  I'm sure that almost always the officer is doing what he believes is his duty, or at least he convinces himself he is.

But I've seen some things that most haven't seen.  And yes I've stood up to an officer who was acting in an unjustified manner.  And yes I wound up cuffed in the back of his car.  For 4 hours.  No he didn't arrest me.  He detained me because I was acting belligerent.  My act of belligerence?  He was lecturing me about how civilians shouldn't be allowed to own guns.  I told him I wasn't interested in his opinion about my Constitutional rights.  Probably it was lucky that there were 3 other officers there.  If he had been alone I probably would have "resisted", with predictable results.  (Let me clarify this.  I don't mean to say I would have actually resisted.  Just that without the witnesses he may have claimed I resisted.)

And as I sat there in the back of the car, in the sun, without the AC running for 4 hours, I knew that what I had done made no difference.  The cop learned nothing from the encounter.  If anything he learned that he had the power to mistreat people without consequences.  But as I sat there I was happy knowing I didn't kiss the ass of this petty tyrant.

So go on and assume what you'd like.  I assume that cops are just human beings and subject to be assholes just like the rest of us.  The difference is that when I feel like being an asshole I have to consider the consequences.  When you create a class of "servants" that are immune to consequences, the result is completely predictable.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 2

DLT,

What you’re describing is a “Terry stop”, AKA "Stop & Frisk" named for the US Supreme Court case of Terry v. Ohio 392 US 1(1968). Briefly summarized “An officer can briefly detain a person, based upon reasonable suspicion of criminal activity, long enough to dispel the suspicion or to allow it to rise to the level of probable cause for an arrest.”. This link will give you more details on this: http://www.caselaw4cops.net/searchandseizure/stopfrisk.htm 

The officer in question can legally stop someone, briefly, if he can articulate his “reasonable suspicion of criminal activity”, and he can frisk you for weapons if he believes you might be armed and dangerous. 

If you play hard-ass, and refuse to show ID, there’s no doubt in my mind that he will testify, in his arrest report and in court, that you somehow demonstrated criminal activity, prior to the stop, and refusal to show ID trigger concern that you may have an active arrest warrant. You could additionally be charged with Obstructing a Police Officer, and if you resist handcuffing, etc., Resisting Arrest (both Class A misdemeanors in Illinois) and/or, if you have outstanding warrants, ordinance violations, etc.,  Obstructing Justice (Class 4 felony in Illinois)

Be courteous at all times; show ID, ask the reason for the stop, take mental note of his name (on shirt/jacket ID plate), and the police agency. Write down the details, after he’s left, and address your concerns with the chief, sheriff, etc.

The key point to remember: It’s his playing field; he has the equipment, the rule book, and he’s the referee!

I dont know. Ive reminded several police that they are civil servants. I didnt know its a bad thing to lock eyes with one. They are obviously paranoid and feel everyone is out to get them if they are stopping everyone that does it, or on a power trip.  I get bad looks on a daily, but I could give a fuck less. There is a way you can still bust their balls and still be polite in the same process. Video footage goes a long way if you were to be arrested. I may be wrong in all this, but I dont like the idea of cowering down to some assclown on a powertrip with a badge. He may win the battle, but not the war. And before some you dumbasses take that out of context, its called a metaphor.

Oh yeah, and my local PD isnt really that bad about being pricks on a power trip. Only the state troopers and big city rookies.

• Like 1

I think this whole thread is rather pointless in nature and may have been designed from the get go to provoke an emotional response. Same type of question is popping up on other Forums.

Cops can ruin your day. They can ruin your life. If they want to, they can kill you dead. Sad, but that is the reality of a Law Enforcement contact. Our job is to defuse the situation.

Yeah, it feels slimy and cowardly, but it just may keep you alive also. So easy to go ballistic and emotional. Not a good idea with cops who carry guns. Co operate fully. It sucks.

Otherwise you just might end up dead. Then...after the fact and if you feel some need to get even or to demand justice, then feel free to pursue it legally. This is just a stop to establish ID.

HB of CJ (old coot) Practically speaking, in our fair nearly perfect mountain valley town in SW Oregon, we all know the cops (the two we have) and they know us. All of us are White Hats.

We have an excellent Sheriff also. Our Oregon State Police are a unknown factor. The lady who seems to the local contact in her Charger OSP police car is practically unknown here.

"Am I being detained, Officer?"

If no; "Goodbye" (Leave)

If yes, "What is your probable cause" or "Under what charge?"

See, cops can't arrest you for nothing; they can't detain you for nothing, but they can try to fool you into standing there.

Never fight with the cops then and there. Get the details, get a lawyer, take them to court. If it's at home, hopefully you have good enough

doors to stop them while you call 911 and get them to back down. In the semi-lawful USA we still have, that is how you deal with bad police.

If, of course, it gets worse, then you can deal with them like you deal with any other hard target.

If they get my ID they better have a good reason. If it was not  I have his ID. Most the time they have a good reason but knowing how it works I do not answer any other questions . I ask questions in a very nice way when it gets to that point and nothing more.

Yes it's not worth your time and effort to make a point.  Just do what they say.  It's easier.  It's safer.  They have the badge.  They have the gun.  They have the power.  And that makes them right.

All hail hitler!

In the great United States of America , the PEOPLE are sovereign! It the not government, not the laws, an definitely not the enforcers of the law. Yes I respect the job they have to do, as long as they respect the rights of the people FIRST. I'm not anti-authoritarian, as long a I have the authority! Lol

Why resist, lay down Sheep, the wolves are coming!

BTW the look on their faces is priceless when, oh yeah, I have a loaded weapon too. People were meant to interact on a horizontal plane, not I'm above you, and you are below me.

Let's rephrase this slightly, your in jail and bubba says you ate his snickers! Lmfao. Same guys I'm betting would have the same response!

I guess there is a fine line sometimes when it comes to having a reason to check an ID and just doing it because you want to and making up a reason later. The problem is what is suspicious and what is not. LEOs' know that most people never file complaints and if they do they just get filed, with the exception of someone with the time and money to go after it. To many times it is screw the rights I have a job to do mind set. 

I'm in FL so based on the state laws I'm going to reach for an ID

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_and_Identify_statutes

beats spending my time in boring places

I'm pretty sure asking if the cop wants to play ro sham bo wouldn't work well either, so I pass on that too

not sheeple but not stupid either

post-26137-0-37649700-1400076118.jpg

post-26137-0-46660200-1400076146.jpg

• Like 1