I just noticed that your dust cover has almost zero ribbing at all.. Interesting, both of the Bulgarian 74 kids I bought had a "lazy rib" dust cover. What are the first four characters of the trunnion serial? I'm interested in the date of manuafacture. I assume that the dust cover is matching.

Thanks to everyone, for all the kind words.

I just noticed that your dust cover has almost zero ribbing at all.. Interesting, both of the Bulgarian 74 kids I bought had a "lazy rib" dust cover. What are the first four characters of the trunnion serial? I'm interested in the date of manuafacture. I assume that the dust cover is matching.

You are correct, that's not the original cover. The original was distorted so I swapped it out with an extra from one of my Saigas (I had bought a ribbed cover for my 5.45).

Nice work! And.. I have the same exact rug (circles)!

-Big John

Official Firearms Inspector.

Well, I guess that leaves me as official breast inspector, again! I never win!

Ummm  Check above my avatar.

I heard DHS was looking for an Official Penis Inspector though...smiley-penis.jpeg

Edited by Big John!

Update: When I got home, from the range, I hosed the rifle with Windex (with Ammonia-D) and dried it.

The next morning, there was very minor corrosion starting in the barrel and chamber (it did clean up but, only after hours of work, I'm obsessive.)

I would suggest spraying the gun down with oil and running a plug, w/oil, down the barrel, instead, until you get around to cleaning it, IF you have a non chrome-lined barrel, like this and you are shooting corrosive ammo.

It was my first experience with corrosive ammo.

My 5.45 Saiga sits happily by, with it's chrome parts, patiently waiting to be cleaned.

Edited by Sim_Player

Nice work! And.. I have the same exact rug (circles)!

-Big John

Official Firearms Inspector.

Well, I guess that leaves me as official breast inspector, again! I never win!

Ummm  Check above my avatar.

I heard DHS was looking for an Official Penis Inspector though...smiley-penis.jpeg

You don't get to pick all the good jobs, Gaddis!

I'd reluctantly consider penis inspector, but it's a loooong story.

Edited by Maxwelhse

Update: When I got home, from the range, I hosed the rifle with Windex (with Ammonia-D) and dried it.

The next morning, there was very minor corrosion starting in the barrel and chamber (it did clean up but, only after hours of work, I'm obsessive.)

I would suggest spraying the gun down with oil and running a plug, w/oil, down the barrel, instead, until you get around to cleaning it, IF you have a non chrome-lined barrel, like this and you are shooting corrosive ammo.

It was my first experience with corrosive ammo.

My 5.45 Saiga sits happily by, with it's chrome parts, patiently waiting to be cleaned.

You will have a lot more problems if you are using US made components not chrome lined or treated to deal with the mildly corrosive ammo. Not only will your barrel get it, the rest of the parts will react to the gas.

Piss works well in a pinch if you aren't near water. Then dry it off, then oil. I wouldn't let it air dry with the neutralizer.

Personally if I had a non-chrome '74 I would just shoot commercial 5.45 out of it and forget about the rust gremlins.

That being said, if you want to REALLY flush it out, hot water is better than Windex. Lots of running hot water, through the barrel, gas port, muzzle device, and gas tube, then blow the water out with compressed air and clean & oil normally.

Ammonia does next to nothing to dissolve corrosive salts - water does that, and the hotter the better. Ammonia is primarily used in copper solvents, and Windex doesn't have enough ammonia to do any of that.

Edited by mancat