Saiga 12...so you polished you bolt, now what

First and foremost I feel confident I've reached and saved enough links to know how to accomplish and do a polish job. Reprofile possibly in the future.

But a dumb question, I have seen and read many who have done it that swear rust is not an issue, it's those few who experienced rust that worry me.

Anyone ever hear and more importantly utilized a baked spray on teflon coating to lessen the chance.

From what I've read it serves a dual purpose, it lessons the likelihood of rust but it also is a natural lubricant that gets better as it heats and experienced friction.

Anyone done this, bad idea, good idea or waste of money and time?

If I ever get around to polishing mine up to a mirror finish (just because I like the look) I'll probably store the bolt carrier outside of the gun and smear it with a light grease for storage. I don't have serious concerns of it rusting but I could see the finish becoming dull as time goes on and I'm too lazy to want to polish it twice... at this point I'm too lazy to polish it the first time. :) Keeping it oiled up would probably do just fine.

It's also worth mentioning that I don't use my S-12 for HD or anything so having it ready to run at all times isn't a concern.

With steel Tesla coil toploads, polished is the way to go!  I had one just sanded and one polished.  The polished one stays clean without lots of oiling, but the sanded one needs constant attention to keep surface rust off.  And these are running in a high ozone/nitric oxide enviroment where steel rusts easily.

I was just curious cause I live in a part of the country that is both close to the coast (salt) and is constantly humid. I keep a desiccant in all my range bags and safe and it helps, a lot.

I just love my weapons so much and all but this one are SS or blued this will be my first experience with raw gun steel.

I have a background in functional (hate that word, tossed around to much in that field) carbon steel swords and the idea of unprotected steel, polished or not, worried me.

But if you all have done it and had no ill effects that's good enough for me.

Thanks all

I'll have to post up a pic of mine sometime. It's nowhere near as Cadillac as some I've seen on here but still nice balance of use and beaty.

Edited by Bauran

Mine got a handful of mud in the action and thrown in a pond to clean it a few sessions ago and still hasn't been lubed or cleaned. It still has blanket weed in it. The action is not rusting and it was worked a few years ago. I live in FL. Rust is not an issue on the action and hardly an issue on a bare receiver.

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 1