Perhaps it is not using fuel as a coolant, which has been around for 70 years, but the naggy fact that this aircraft is not. Still has not even flown up to expectations. I suggest the top 5 people and the connected politicians who are making the real money off this disaster should be taken out behind the chemical building and taught a very big lesson. HB of CJ (old coot)

• Like 2

Meh....

The B-52 had worse teething pains, and they will be the go to Bomber for 100 years!

When fielding a new weapons platform, if it works perfectly the first time, that means that the technology is already obsolete.

• 2 weeks later...

It's just like the Army's LHX program that tried to build a light super attack helicopter.  They overloaded it with so much shit that when you had the spec'd loiter time, you only had the firepower of the two .38's the pilots were carrying.  And it was supposed to be as lethal as a company of Apache's, but only carried 8 Hellfires, and 500 rounds in the gun.  The Army spent billions on that piece o shit! 

Have seen the F-22 in airshow manuvers.  ONE MUTHAFUCKIN SCARRY PLANE!!!!!!!!  Love to pay taxes to support those!

Remember the F-20?  An F-5 with an engine powerful enough to match the capabilities of the airframe, with the same abilities, and half the price of the F-16.  But it didn't look as "cool".

This is the country that built the SR-71.

Cutting-edge tech costs money. Lots of it.

Suck it up.

Most contracts specify requirements and then, when they are met, the military adds heavy weaponry that defeats the airframe advantages.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 2

Well, fuel temp. (hot)is an issue with many motors. Usually unexpected due to modern injection and amount of return/bypass. 1st electronic injection diesel heavy truck motors, especially Detroit Diesels, others that fallowed learned from their issues, also major issue is the EPA constant changes of regs on fuel, causes issues not in original design, older fuel grades that were used prior to new formulas/additives/grades. Different scale yet same type issue on older diesels or gas motors. Performance or actual components fail, especially on Bio-fuel the gov. has mandated on military hardware.

Hero, those China electronics WILL be an issue some day. Many of our weapons systems will fail, if certain people decide to go to a hot war.

Most contracts specify requirements and then, when they are met, the military adds heavy weaponry that defeats the airframe advantages.

The A-10 Warthog is the exception to that rule.

They handed Fairchild a GAU-8 and said "I want this to fly". They gave us one HELL of a tank-killin' close support aircraft! There's STILL no replacement for it!

That 30mm autocannon is a beautiful sound when it's pointed at our enemies. It flies. They dies.

• Like 4

The concept  of KISS  keep it simple stupid was lost long ago.

plumbing fuel around the airframe as a coolant may sound good but I dont think its such a good idea 

Commercial airliners have been doing this for decades. Several major components are cooled by fuel.

• Like 1

The A-10 Warthog is the exception to that rule.

They handed Fairchild a GAU-8 and said "I want this to fly". They gave us one HELL of a tank-killin' close support aircraft! There's STILL no replacement for it!

That 30mm autocannon is a beautiful sound when it's pointed at our enemies. It flies. They dies.

I remember my uncle(retired Army TI/crash inspector) telling me stories of when they were still testing the platform.  The recoil of the GAU-8 can literally stall the plane if the pilot fires too long of a burst.  The pilots have to learn how to open the throttles at the same time they fire to keep from stalling and crashing, while maintaining a target lock.