I prefer Hornady in my family we do a lot of deer hunting and our longest shot so far has been 268 yards . we use 150 gr SST bullets in 308 win. and there is no tracking . I have not seen a deer go over 30 feet, but all the shots were well made. when you process them the lungs just run out in a puddle. The sst bullets just seem to explode on impact but there is always an exit hole . I have tried other types of ammo REM. Win . Fed ,but the Hornadys always seem to drop them in there tracks . What types of premium ammo is your favorite , not talking about plinking

I reload, but my favorite projectile is Sierra Gamekings. They are very consistent, and have always served me well in hunting with 5.56. 

I do buy factory for my self defense ammo. Speer Gold Dot's across the board (9, 40, 45)

That being said, the Hornady SST's are pretty awesome too. I have some factory SST's for my x39 and it drops anything I have ever shot. I am new to the 308 platform (Vepr 308), so I may have to look into the SST's. See how it compares to my reloaded Gamekings.

Edited by Semper299

I don't run a lot of premium ammo, but I can say that almost every hornady projectile I have measured was exactly what it was supposed to be. Same for nosler. Remington projectiles are all over the place, at least for their normal hunting grade stuff.

• Like 1

From the reasonable to the extreme, we try to use .22rf Aquila 60 grain round nose lead subsonic so-called SSS ammo.  Sub Sonic Sniper?  The tasty gray tree squirrels never stand a chance?  Only in season with a license. No tags needed out here in SW OR USA.  The guilty mean nasty killing rifle, (or dinner and supper provider) is our SBR heavily modified suppressed Ruger 10-22.  Elite Iron Echo 6" Can.  Shortened Choate folder.  Eight inch Green Mountain SS BB 1x9 twist barrel.  Bentz chamber.  With a light spring and a Vorquartzen (sp) extractor, 100% function.  About 1.5" accuracy at 50 yards. Will try 100.  Factory 10 rd mags.

I was going to add another paragraph, but probably too much information already so I will not.  Good day today.  HB of CJ (old coot) smile.png  It was slow reaming out the Choate barrel channel for the BB with our Drimal tools.  Fun though. The grand daughter did most of it.  She thought it was cool. smile.png  About 43N 123W.  Thereabouts.  Raining today.  Cold.

Edited by HB of CJ

Federal FMJ as often as not for factory practice fodder,  HSTs (std vel, 230 gr 45 ACP or 124 gr 9mm) for carry. Speer 135 gr Gold Dots for BUG.

Edited by Hawk451

I shoot one hell of a lot of Midsouth Shooter Supply Varmint Nightmare 55 grain bullets. Reloads, of course. I find them to be very consistent for about half the price of Sierra.

My Marlin 30-30 336 likes Hornady LeverEvolution real well. 

I shoot enough .22LR that it makes no difference, but if I really want to hit what I'm aiming at I like some Armscor that I found somewhere when they were hard to find.

• Like 1

I like nosler partitions for my '06 bolt it shoots Federal ammo the best so I run the 165 gr. I have no complaints. I also do a lot of pig hunting with my 6.8 AR, silver state armory 110 gr Sierra pros work well for that set up. For me the ammo depends on the gun...certain guns shoot some ammo better than others so I try to find the best match. If it's a semi you also have to consider how the ammo feeds as well as accuracy.

Edited by sccritterkiller
  • Like 1

My favorite is Hornady. It may not always be the fastest, or carry the most energy, but it's the most consistent, and some of the most accurate I've ran. They also stand behind their product. I also like Nosler, Winchester and Federal.

• Like 1

I prefer Hornady in my family we do a lot of deer hunting and our longest shot so far has been 268 yards . we use 150 gr SST bullets in 308 win. and there is no tracking . I have not seen a deer go over 30 feet, but all the shots were well made. when you process them the lungs just run out in a puddle. The sst bullets just seem to explode on impact but there is always an exit hole . I have tried other types of ammo REM. Win . Fed ,but the Hornadys always seem to drop them in there tracks . What types of premium ammo is your favorite , not talking about plinking

Since you like Hornady SST, why not go for this one? http://www.hornady.com/store/308-Win-165-gr-SST-Superformance/

165-172 grain in 308 and 30-06 tends to be the GoldiLocks. They get the flat trajectory almost identical to the 150s, and due to superior aero, hit harder than 180 grain at a lot of ranges. I haven't used them on deer though.

These worked for me shooting large pests in the head. Doesn't tell much for terminal ballistics though. http://www.hornady.com/store/30-Cal-.308-165-gr-SP/ I probably weighed 30 or so before I gave up on finding any variation, and ditto for diameter. I'm no crack rifle marksman either, so I can't provide meaninful input into what actually groups better than anything else.

Great topic. One brand really stands out to me:

1. CCI Stingers for all our .22's. Mini-mags and Maxi-mags are great too. Best rimfire ammo out there.

2. Hornady Lever-evolution is great in rifles and pistols. My .44 lever action and revolver love that stuff.

3. Hornady critical defense and Con-bon powerball feed great in my semi-auto pistols.

• Like 1

For .22 I use CCI Mini Mags with the 40 gr slug.  Accurate and they always go bang, plus all my .22s eat them like candy.  For .223 I love Black Hills but there is almost no availability and it's pretty expensive.  I'm using PMC Bronze now and after a few thousand rounds I'm surprised how accurate it has been for cheap ammo.  For 9mm I make my own using Rainier 124 Round nose bullets or Montana Gold 124 CMJ.  In the shotgun I only shoot WInchester AA 1oz SuperSports, Fiocchi 7/8 AeroSlugs and Federal Flight Control 00 Buck.  I work hard to find out what each gun likes and then buy the stuff by the case.

Doug

• Like 1

In Stock and at a Reasonable Cost

seems to be hard to find for some calibers

Out of Stock / No Back Order and or Are You Shitting Me Prices seem to have flooded the market

For most pistol stuff I tend to roll my own.

Shotgun is what's on sale and in the right shot size for what I'm doing

Rifle I've shot stuff that was in an unmarked brown paper bag that came with a bottle of cheap booze,

some of the ammo I've shot was like I assaulted my "assault rifle" I'm a bad person.

Rim Fire CCI mini mags seem to always cycle what ever they go in but will try about anything

Edited by the 4th Doctor

I shoot one hell of a lot of Midsouth Shooter Supply Varmint Nightmare 55 grain bullets. Reloads, of course. I find them to be very consistent for about half the price of Sierra.

My Marlin 30-30 336 likes Hornady LeverEvolution real well. 

I shoot enough .22LR that it makes no difference, but if I really want to hit what I'm aiming at I like some Armscor that I found somewhere when they were hard to find.

I think it was you that turned me onto those rounds a while back. I bought em, just have not loaded them up yet. And you were right about the quality for the half the price. That was a good find and much appreciated.

Edited by Semper299
  • Like 1

For .22 I use CCI Mini Mags with the 40 gr slug.  Accurate and they always go bang, plus all my .22s eat them like candy.  For .223 I love Black Hills but there is almost no availability and it's pretty expensive.  I'm using PMC Bronze now and after a few thousand rounds I'm surprised how accurate it has been for cheap ammo.  For 9mm I make my own using Rainier 124 Round nose bullets or Montana Gold 124 CMJ.  In the shotgun I only shoot WInchester AA 1oz SuperSports, Fiocchi 7/8 AeroSlugs and Federal Flight Control 00 Buck.  I work hard to find out what each gun likes and then buy the stuff by the case.

Doug

Have you ever used Precision Delta bullets for 9mm? Good quality and cheaper than most other FMJ's or JHP's I have found. 

Doug

Have you ever used Precision Delta bullets for 9mm? Good quality and cheaper than most other FMJ's or JHP's I have found. 

I got 5000 of the Rainiers to try out and I just bought 3750 more of the Montana Gold.  The Rainiers are fine for regular 9mm, but I often shoot 9mm Major and you need a more solid jacketed bullet for the higher pressure which why I use the Montana Gold bullets. 

Doug