Semi-Auto Handguns to be Reclassified as AOWs?

That is the rumor that's spreading across the interwebs.  But the text of the proposed change doesn't say that.

The Department of Justice is proposing to amend the regulations relating to machine guns, destructive devices, and certain other firearms regulated under the National Firearms Act (NFA) for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) to clarify the definition of the term "pistol" and to define more clearly exceptions to the "pistol" definition. The added language is necessary to clarify that certain weapons, including any weapon disguised to look like an item other than a firearm or any gun that fires more than one shot without manual reloading by a single function of the trigger, are not pistols and are classified as "any other weapon" under the NFA.

That says "fires more than one shot without manual reloading by a single function of the trigger".  The only gun I can think of that does that, which isn't currently an nfa item, is the double barrel 1911.  That clearly fires 2 shots with a single pull of the trigger. 

So I believe this proposed change is targeted at double barrel weapons which fire both barrels with a single pull of the trigger.

• Like 1

Good post my Dark Lord.  I for one just ASSUMED (dangerous word) that the double barrelled 1911 type .45  was ALREADY deemed a DD by the august BATFE.  Now I find out that it is not?  Surprised it has taken the ATF so long to make a possible determination.

It does shoot 2 bullets per trigger squeeze.  The problem I have with all of this BATFE bullshiet is that again, the nose of the stinky camel is sticking in the door of my tent.  What else might they determine, in their august pompous wisdom, now to be a Destructive Device?

Yikes!  The mind boggles, or at least my feeble mind.  Saiga 12 shotguns come to mind.  Like the Street Sweeper?  HB of CJ (old coot)

Edited by HB of CJ;   I think I got DD confused with AOW.  Ouch!

Edited again by HB;  Or am I confusing AOW with a machine gun definition?

Edited by HB of CJ

Thank you.  So ... I shall go to my grave not like the galley slave, but sustained and soothed.  With an unfaltering trust in the august friendly BATFE in all things.  I shall be wrapped in the motherly womb of Federal superior knowledge.  You get the idea.  HB

• Like 1

The double barrel pistol does have 2 triggers, just might not apply.

The AF2011-A1 (“Twenty Eleven” for aficionados) can be ordered either with 2 independent triggers and one sear group (left or right, with user-interchangeability for right or left operations) or with 2 triggers permanently joined and the choice of 1 or 2 sear groups. The AF2011-A1 is available in mirror finish Deep Blue or with a 3400 Vickers surface hardness White Ash Nitrite coating.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/arsenal-double-barrel-1911-45-tba

• Like 1

Thank you RED333.  Excellent hi buck video.  Excellent back ground music.  What was his accent?  Almost sounded like Swiss, but I am not sure.  Belgium?  Two triggers?  Interesting concept.  I suppose it would be splitting definitions of one trigger squeeze per round.  Are the triggers separate on the trigger finger?  Yep ... way $over$ my ability.  HB

At 0:48 he says the trigger works both hammers.  Perhaps you can get it with independent triggers but it's not going to cycle if you only fire one side.

• Like 1

The ATF is a joke.

I'm not laughing.

The new "rules" (which will have the full power of law without being passed by congress) have not been fully revealed but the intention is clear.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/05/31/obamas-doj-to-circumvent-congress-with-more-than-a-dozen-new-gun-controls/

• Like 1

Wait for the focus on mental health and how that is administered.  I doubt most are going to like the new approach to keeping us safe.  People who need help will avoid it to keep their Second Amendment rights.

• Like 4

Wait for the focus on mental health and how that is administered.  I doubt most are going to like the new approach to keeping us safe.  People who need help will avoid it to keep their Second Amendment rights.

I've recently seen a rat. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Trust no one and let no one have a personal agenda toward you. All because of a cunt that both were banging.

• Like 1

This one may cause some heartache.  Are they going to reclassify AK and AR pistols as nfa items?  I wouldn't put it past them...

This rule would propose to amend the regulations relating to machine guns, destructive devices, and certain other firearms regulated under the National Firearms Act (NFA) for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) to clarify the definition of the term "pistol" and to define more clearly exceptions to the "pistol" definition.

And the mental health aspect is scary shit.  Having some emotional problems?  Just need to talk to somebody to help sort things out?  Get ready to permanently lose your rights.  There are already many on the left that consider gun owners to be mentally ill just because we own guns.  How long until the desire to own a gun is considered a disqualifying mental disorder?

• Like 2

every one they take away is a loss for us, even it it's something that chances are you'd never even think about getting, someone else wanted it.

^^^truth. Look what happened with surplus 5.45 ammo. Got people with the attitude of"I don't have anything that shoots it, so why do I care if it's banned" Look where that mindset got us.

• Like 6

My predictions...they will define "high powered handguns" as anything that can shoot a rifle based round and they will require them to be registered under the NFA. They may go after .50 and maybe a couple of other pistol rounds too...

Worst case scenario...they classify everything but single shot .22 as NFA...

• Like 1

I'd give it even odds that semi-auto rifle caliber pistols get reclassed as AOW.

You know they'd do it in a nanosecond.  The only reason I give it 50/50 is the shitstorm would be epic.  Way beyond the M855 ban.

• Like 1

Probably the $5.00 tax stamp and the naggy fact that in the several commie state of america where such tax stamps are not allowed, the firearm will then probably become illegal to possess.  I do not think there would be a grandfather clause.  Just me and I hope I am dead wrong on this.  HB

Again the sum of all my fears is that the Saiga 12 and others will be declared DDs.  Just me.  We do have a window of mis opportunity where practically speaking anything is possible.  If nothing else, it may give our President bargaining room to negotiate on other stuff.  Just his threat on doing this shit to us may give him some lee way off the rocks and shallow water from other stuff.  Spell check not worth a shit today.  HB

And if Saiga shotguns and others are declared Destructive Devices requiring a tax stamp, what is that going to do to the value of our Saigas and others?

Nothing is going to happen. Obama is already the most hated president ever hes not going to waste his last little bit of power on guns. He's busy trying to make unconstitutional laws allowing illegal aliens to vote. Obama care is about to go under too if the state exchanges aren't bailed out. The ATF is irrelevant and an internal audit just listed them as the largest waste of resources in the government period.