Hey Guys::

As I've visited this forum, and looked at specialized gun magazines at bookstores, I've become aware of the fact that there are very expensive brands of rifles most people never hear of, and there is an extensive aftermarket for barrels, stocks, and triggers, etc. 

None of my rifles are made by Surgeon. None of them have a MacMillan stock or a Proof Research barrel. They're typical fair you'd find at stores like Cabela's - factory stock and unmodified.

I don't own a $5,000 - $10,000 rifle. Nothing by Steyr or Falkor Defense. I thought I was doing good getting a Savage 10 FCP-K in .308 with an SWFA fixed 12x MRAD scope and a bipod.

Obviously, I won't be able to hit anything in a real situation because I own lesser rifles. My gun collection is that of a wannabe shooter. 

Should I turn in my "Man Card" to Darth Saigus? I ask for mercy Darth! I need help. Now. 

I humbly thank everyone for tolerating my presence on this forum. I'll understand if I'm required to stick with my Daisy BB gun from now on. But for what it's worth, I do have a Saiga .223. Is that ok?

horror.gif

I have made or refurbished into shooting condition most of my guns. THAT makes my man card a whole bunch more legitimate than those who buy expen$ive guns and have OTHER people do the work on them.

I think my Tokarev is just as much fun as a 1911 that costs 3x as much. And it seems with all the Eastern European countries making ammo for it the rounds will be cheaper for quite a time too. 

All my weapons are good enough or better than my needs. When I need something to put 3 bullets into a target at a thousand yards to make absolutely positively sure it is neutralized I'll spend some bucks. Even then about 2 grand would be sufficient. You can buy one gun, I'll go buy 5 and ammo to go with them.

• Like 2

I carry a Raven .25 daily, if it makes you feel better. It runs and is very easy to conceal. Would I rather have something else? Sure, but the Raven was free and I would rather not suffer the expense of buying something else right now. When I am dressed appropriately I carry an additional arm that is of better quality.

Hey, if you can hit what you aim at, who cares what others think? Look at it this way, one man's/woman's junk is another's treasure. I buy what I like and if it doesn't perform and I know I am not part of the problem, it goes and I tell the buyer why. Enjoy your stuff.

• Like 4

Talk about trash.....I must have the garbage can full then.  I own 3 Bersa's, a RIA HiCa 1911 that has been bastardized to the point I am ashamed of it, but damn if it doesn't go bank every single time I pull the trigger and a hodge podge of other shooters as well.  I was on my buddies range one time (as a guest) and I was shooting my Dad's Ruger Security Six .357, hitting mid torso, and the 'chap' next to me told me that I should get a better pistol and practice more.  Of course, he had FIVE Kimbers and what looked to be a custom colt on his table.  I told him I was just fine....6 shots in the torso with a .357 will do just dandy.  What he had on his table cost WAY more then what my ride did.  To each his own, but I don't buy into the Mo Money Makes a Better Gun theory. 

• Like 1

My M-38 nagant goes to the range every time,  because that way if one of my others gets finiky, or someone else has problems with their gun, the old Mosin will make a GOOD day out of a bad one!

• Like 1

Hey Guys::

As I've visited this forum, and looked at specialized gun magazines at bookstores, I've become aware of the fact that there are very expensive brands of rifles most people never hear of, and there is an extensive aftermarket for barrels, stocks, and triggers, etc. 

None of my rifles are made by Surgeon. None of them have a MacMillan stock or a Proof Research barrel. They're typical fair you'd find at stores like Cabela's - factory stock and unmodified.

I don't own a $5,000 - $10,000 rifle. Nothing by Steyr or Falkor Defense. I thought I was doing good getting a Savage 10 FCP-K in .308 with an SWFA fixed 12x MRAD scope and a bipod.

Obviously, I won't be able to hit anything in a real situation because I own lesser rifles. My gun collection is that of a wannabe shooter. 

Should I turn in my "Man Card" to Darth Saigus? I ask for mercy Darth! I need help. Now. 

I humbly thank everyone for tolerating my presence on this forum. I'll understand if I'm required to stick with my Daisy BB gun from now on. But for what it's worth, I do have a Saiga .223. Is that ok?

horror.gif

Fuck the gun snobs. Just become proficient with what you have, (something about keeping the pointy end sharp) you'll be ahead of 70% of your neighbors. Anyone who spends 5k-10k need their meds adjusted  IMO...

Edited by SmilinEd
  • Like 1

I'll admit I'd love to own a Barrett or something chambered in .338 Lapua is I could afford it, just for fun. But really from what I've seen there are plenty of inexpensive guns that are reliable as hell and chambered in affordable rounds that are effective against a hominid target.  

If a gun runs reliably and accurately then "garbage" is just down to personal opinion.

The thing I think is funny is some of the really high-end expensive stuff that, as far as I can tell, actually is garbage. For example look at some of the reviews out there of the Cabot 1911s that are upwards of $5k.. Many are hilariously unreliable and require numerous trips back to the manufacturer to correct cycling issues - but, their owners will laugh at your $400 Rock Island 1911 that runs 100% on Wolf steel-case .45, even after being left out in the rain the day before, and with no lubrication.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 3

The role of the weapon has a lot to do with how I classify them. My Raven .25 pocket gun was new when it was given to me. I ran two mags through it and it ran great. I classify it as a "two box" gun. Basically, I will run no more a few mags or a box of ammo through it. I'll periodically maintain and it will likely do what I need it to do if I get in a situation like I have encountered in the past assuming I do not fire it too much. After two entire boxes of ammo are ran through it I would not trust it. Many of the very cheap handguns simply do not have a long lifespan in regards to the internal parts. I see fighting rifles and shotguns differently. There are certain specifics that I will not go below because I have these weapons for a different purpose and they need to be used much more often and if things were bad enough they could see daily use. For an AR it would be milspec for the barrel and BCG, at least. At the same time, I don't see the sense in paying 3x what it takes to get milspec. I have never owned a "high end" factory AR. However, my "go-rig" does have some parts that can be found on high end factory guns. It is a matter of having what fits a need and expected reliability/durability requirement, nothing more and nothing less.

• Like 1