What is your price point that you consider too much for a firearm?

Mine is anything over $1000.00

I have only paid over a thousand dollars for a firearm once in my whole life,

and I never intend to do it ever again.

There are plenty of high quality firearms for under a grand that will do the same thing

any firearm over that price will do.

I usually purchase within the $300 to $700 range.

Depends on the gun, and how much I want it.

Most I've spent is $1,700-ish, took a few years to go from wanting it, to having it.

At some point in the not too near future, I'd love to have an SVD, last time I looked, the lowest I saw was $4,500, I'm sure by the time I could afford one, it will have gone up a good bit.

Then there are some guns I probably wouldn't spend $50 on.

It depends on what the going rate is for that particular firearm. If it's a transferable M16 lower for $5000 I wouldn't think twice about it. If it's a used Glock for $400, hell no. But assuming we're talking about a new, semi-auto rifle in a non-exotic caliber, I'd find anything over $800ish hard to swallow. 

I cant think of many guns much under 1k I have any interest in.

Back in the day, I bought an M16 Fully transferable machine gun for $700.00

20 years later I sold it for $28000.00

Sometimes guns are a good savings account

I save up for what I want, or trade or sell one for another.

If I want something bad enough, I will find a way to pay for it

the real shotgun people can spend 20k or more on their guns

Over the years I've had different "upper limits".  $500.  $1,000.  $2,000.  Every limit fell when I found something I wanted bad enough, and my income has allowed more discretionary spending.

At the moment my Tavor is my most expensive gun.  Around $3k in it to get it just as I want it.

Can't say if I'd spend that much again.  Maybe, but not any time soon.  I have my needs completely covered, and my wants for now.

But I think I can say with confidence that I won't be springing for a Barrett 82A1, ever.

Depends on the gun.  I have seperal that are on the plus side of $1K once shipping, transfer fees, sights, accessories, cases, and other miscellaneous expenses are factored in. I've also built ARs that I put less than $350 in total. They looked like hell, but they cycled reliably, and were reasonably accurate.

If I was rich I guess I would raise my limits….laugh.png

I was rich for a short time once so I did raise my limits for a new .50 

But have since had to come back down to within my means.

Don't ever see a purchase like that again in my lifetime. 

Everyone wants to buy my .50 from me and I would turn a 

profit if I did sell it, but I know if I do I will never be able to ever afford another.

Oh well, how does the saying go…Better to have had and lost then to never had at all.

Well, so far my most expensive is ~$5,000.00. However, that is a transferable Cobray M11A1. I knew when I purchased it that I "could" sell it for a profit in a few years, but I kind of like it. As far as limits go, guns are my one hobby, so I like to have fun at times. I really wanted an M82A1, but the more I look at it, the more I wonder what makes it worth $9,000.00 (local shop quoted me that when I asked about it). That IS over my limit. Quite a bit over. 010.gif

my saiga came to $1040 and i could only do that because I'd saved a lot in college. I'm really tempted to get a Dragunov type but I know ever the ones on Atlantic were like 1300 so its unlikely unless I get a much better job. 1000 is when I start to cringe at the thought.

Depends on the gun for me. If I am going to use it a lot.I try to find the best fit for me....I have a beretta A391 and a A400 that use for hunting ducks...not cheap guns but they are well built my 391 I have for over 10 years..I have used it for everthing including a boat paddle and the only issue I have had is the shell catch had to be replaced b/c it was worn so far down it was double feeding. Both were worth every penny..A couple of my hunting rifles have optics that were as much or more than the gun...again IMO worth every penny.These guns are used multiply times every season so I need quality that will hold up over the years...that is usually not cheap.

What is your price point that you consider too much for a firearm?

Mine is anything over $1000.00

I have only paid over a thousand dollars for a firearm once in my whole life,

and I never intend to do it ever again.

There are plenty of high quality firearms for under a grand that will do the same thing

any firearm over that price will do.

I usually purchase within the $300 to $700 range.

I'm with ya.  I have only purchased on rifle that was at the grand mark.  Won't do it again.  Then again, I usually buy 'kit' items, mostly because I enjoy it and it gives me something to do. 

I have around $1500 into my AR pistol. I didn't spend that all at once, I bought individual parts (mostly on sale) over the coarse of a year. I shoot my $600 PSA/spike AR alot more.

If I count all the mods I have into my S12 and mags... I have at least $2500 into it including purchase price.

The only $1000+ firearm I would currently consider is the Noreen 30.06 Long Range Assassin with 22" barrel.  They list around 1900. 

My Saiga 410 will approach $1K by the time I do a tactical conversion on it.  I got it just before the import ban for 750 including two 15rnd magazines.

Otherwise; 1000 is out of my budget.

Real cost includes mags (10 min for each gun) and optics and tactibling. Also ammo stored for each firearm.

Of course what you tell your wife is just the base cost of the firearm, on sale for a steal you can't pass up.

The most I have ever spent for a gun is 1322.00 tax included ,  plus 250.00 for LR/SR 25 round Pmags   ,  plus 400.00 for mount and scope on a S&W MP 10 . I have 5 guns left I would like to buy someday M1A , Sig 716 ,  Yugo Pap pistol and Ruger 44 mag pistol [ why I don't know as I have had 2 in the past 20 years , but I like them  ]  and something in 300 win mag , as I would like to Elk hunt someday . I  will probably start with the cheapest ones first

Need is a funny thing open to a whole lot of what ifs.

Yeah I dont need a 50 BMG semi-auto but that was my decision and others have theirs.

One day it could turn out I was wrong after all, not like that aint a daily occurrence.

But if I had a chance to get one cheap, and I mean real cheap, I might say ok but you are right SM, they are a bit logistics intensive. 

While we are on the subject I tell the wife what I honestly think something will cost and find out if it is a cost we can bear.

Learned that lesson.

• Like 1

I have a couple guns that were near or slightly over the $1000 Mark. Unique additions to my collection and I'm happy I have them. These were bought when I had a better-paying job than I have now. ;)

I nearly bought a single-shot .50 BMG, but cost of ammo and complete lack of a place to shoot it were the deciding factors against it.

I have a couple guns that were near or slightly over the $1000 Mark. Unique additions to my collection and I'm happy I have them. These were bought when I had a better-paying job than I have now. wink.png

I nearly bought a single-shot .50 BMG, but cost of ammo and complete lack of a place to shoot it were the deciding factors against it.

Oddly, 50BMG is 2/3 the price of .338Lapua. I was just looking at that the other day.  50BMG was $4/round. .338Lapua was $6.50

Edited by YOT
  • Like 2