I wish the store owner had come out of the back with an S12 and a 20rd drum of buckshot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOLhP0lwHVU

3 have been caught.  Too bad that sentence didn't end with "shot".

Turning these shitbags room temperature would make the world a better and safer place.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 1

It looks like the guy tying off the rope used a left handed bowline.  Humm.  Knew his knots.  Left Handed.  Also used his left hand to smash the glass.  I can not tell what kind of knot he used to connect the two pieces of rope.  He seemed also to be the one who gave the orders.  Humm.  Saw this in about 5 seconds into his knot typing.  I will Sherlock Homes the rest and get back to you.  Used to do this shit for a living.  HB smile.png :

Rope?  Chain or cable?  I stand corrected.

Edited by HB of CJ

Looked like a chain with padlocks. He just looped it back onto itself and then padlocked. You can see the blocky padlocks hanging at each point.

Sort of looked like the beginning of a bowline but that's it.

Pretty well organized smash and grab. I think the guy busting out the pistol counter glass could have done a better job by running the tool around the perimeter to clean out the shards. Overall, I give them a 7.5-8 of 10

I'd have designated three ammo grabbers, two long gun grabbers, two pistol grabbers, one glass smasher, a lookout with police scanner and a driver. The driver would have been removing the padlocks and chains on the pickup while the work was being done.

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 1

They were good kids, little angels.

If that was my shop, every firearm would be in the safe at night or there would be some roll down doors over the rifle racks and the pistols would get put on a cart that is stored in a caged area far from the doors. The more steps and the longer it takes to steal inventory the better.

A list of what they will have to do instead, and I'm sure it goes deeper than this....

Go look in horror at what has happened

Police reports

deal with insurance claim

order new display cabinets at at least $300 each shipped

set up new cabinets

do a full audit of what is still there and not there

process stolen firearm reports

deal with ATF

clean up

have cage fixed

have front door fixed

probably have door frame replaced

possibly repair windows beside the doors

New decals and signage on all of the new glass

• Like 1

Yeah, smash & grabs at gun stores have been a problem around here for a few years, too. Generally about 3 or 4 per year, but that's gone up in the last few months.

Now that it's been on the news a few times, guys are seeing just how easy it is. A lot of them around here don't know what to do with the stuff once they have it, though, and tend to get caught fairly quickly.

This outfit knows better they have been around since 1965. Poor management, too cocky and too lazy IMHO.

With an impressive inventory like they have you would think they would have the funds in inclination to take measures to protect it and keep it out of the wrong hands. Where I am, there is a shop with no burglar bars (yes, just regular glass) that leaves absolutely everything out like these guys, another that puts most of their stuff in the back out of view but not in safes and some of it in safes in the retail area, and another that puts everything in safes that are in the back and never seen by the public. The first shop is the theft deterrent for the other two, lol. Why go somewhere that you have no clue where the stuff is or whether or not it is locked up when their is a prime opportunity for a successful smash and grab right down the street? I asked the owner of the shop that leaves it all out why he leaves it all out and he replied with "We have insurance". So, they have insurance and criminals have a prime opportunity to arm other criminals. Nice. I wouldn't sleep very well if that was my shop.

I'm trying to refrain from saying something nasty about the store. I have been in many times over the years, kind of get the "brother-in-law experience" (smartest people in the room) when shopping.

Yep, could have that big gun shop been a bunch tighter?  That "armored" front screen door ripped off so easy.  Diesel truck.  Possibly traction control disabled.  Possibly a chip on the engine?  Too much black smoke.  Why were not the guns covered with a armored fence? 

The handguns removed physically and placed in a vault?  Humm.  Those videos will probably make the case.  Wonder how many of these august law abiding citizens will be arrested and what will be their punishment ... if convicted.  Accountability?  Will will see Texas justice.

Yep ... my bad.  Most likely a cable or encased chain.  Nine or ten perps plus close and far lookouts we did not see.  Did I see any comm gear?

Edited by HB of CJ

One of the better stocked and attended local gun stores has multiple levels of security for night, not limited to awake, armed and trained folk who would give the burglars or even rioters a very warm reception. And that would be after having to breach multiple levels of passive defenses.

• Like 2

Yep.  Our gun shop which shall not be named for security reasons has the same kinda multiple layers of security.  Passive for sure.  Active maybe.  Unknown even to us.  Even to get to the guns after hours would take lots of time and determination. Some cameras you see.  Others you do not.  Is tear gas legal?  Anyhow, this thread is a good example of non august local citizens at work.  Very sad.

We had one a couple months back in my town in an old Army surplus / gun retailer. Mostly new stuff in reality. About 200 guns taken. Probably most are in a river by now.

The thing that I keep thinking about is how pathetic it looks for a store that sells Liberty safes, etc. to have that news report. 

• Like 3

Yep.  Our gun shop which shall not be named for security reasons has the same kinda multiple layers of security.  Passive for sure.  Active maybe.  Unknown even to us.  Even to get to the guns after hours would take lots of time and determination. Some cameras you see.  Others you do not.  Is tear gas legal?  Anyhow, this thread is a good example of non august local citizens at work.  Very sad.

There are security systems that spray a dense lung irritant fog, use extreme volume speakers, and emit a blinding flash bang level strobe light.. They are expensive but effective.

The security gates appear to fail early. Probably an older building without good mounting options, the fasteners pulled out of the walls.

If properly installed a good gating system can keep thieves out until police arrive. I helped install a system once, the instructions require mounting into solid poured concrete to get the full rating, using wedge anchors pretty made them worthless.

• Like 2

I counted about nine guys.

It won't be hard to track them all down.

Gang-related heist.

If Obama had sons................

His sons wouldn't sully their hands with military grade assault rifles. Maybe a citori or two, but nothing with high capacity magazine clips.