New ATF "Ruling" About Smokeless Powder

meh.....ammoland also said we wouldnt be able to talk about guns on the internet anymore....remember?

Good idea. Let's focus on who reported the story instead of the atfs continued totalitarianism.

On the plus side this one will never stand. Too many companies with too many lawyers and connections getting effed.

Actually this does not regulate smokeless powder as the law exempts it.

The stuff they are speaking of seems to be used in munitions, it has a higher concentration than what is used for firearms.

It is not like they banned it, it just no longer gets storage exemptions when wetted, however the DOT exceptions are still valid.

Basically when it was made it was a regulated explosive like always, then they would wet it with alcohol or water and it would no longer be an explosive until dried out.

Now it remains an explosive with the exception of DOT who will continue to allow it to be transported.. But the people moving it will need to be licensed.

Apparently it used to be done this way, and that an exception was made for some time.

• Like 1

This should be struck down in court due to lack of following the rule making process...  They have to know this, but it will take time and resources to get it reversed, so it's just another FU to the gun culture like the ITAR letter, 41F, etc.  We have a minimum of 4+ more months of this shit due to all of the dipshits that couldn't bring themselves to vote for a Mormon.  Probably more like 4+ more years of it due to the people who would rather see Hillary win than vote for the amoral douchebag many of the same dipshits stuck us with for a candidate this time around.

I don't claim to have any knowledge of explosives or gunpowder manufacture or laws pertaining to, but this article presents a convincing case that the industry WILL be impacted if this change stands.

III. Impact of ATF Reclassification of Wetted Nitrocellulose

Manufacturers and importers of smokeless propellant have relied on ATF private letter rulings issued prior to 2016 stating that nitrocellulose wetted with water not less than 25 percent by mass is not subject to regulation under the federal explosives laws. Accordingly, the manufacturers have set up their logistics, storage and operations consistent with nitrocellulose not being regulated as an explosive. Manufacturers and importers may not have adequate storage facilities or record keeping systems to comply with the law. Licensed manufacturers also rely on private, unlicensed vendors to store wetted nitrocellulose in facilities that do not comply with storage requirements. A number of manufacturers also report an adverse impact on their contracts to supply smokeless propellant and finished rounds of ammunition to the Department of Defense.

Publication of the change in classification in an industry newsletter without advance notice has left manufacturers scrambling to determine what standards ATF will allow for alternate storage and record keeping and to obtain permits for unlicensed storage vendors. In the meantime, manufacturers and importers are violating federal law, as ATF allowed no grace period for coming into compliance. We note that ATF has authorized such periods in the past when changing agency positions. For example, see ATF’s November 12, 2010 Open Letter regarding explosive pest control devices.

Maybe I am too quick to believe the atf is stabbing us in the back again but their recent history gives me no reason to give them the benefit of any doubt.

Belief or disbelief is not relevant to reality.  It either is, or it isn't, or most likely somewhere in between.

If there is any relevance to this we'll see soon enough.

Keep your nitrocellulose dry.

• Like 2

Why would the AFT even do this?  They had to know they would immediately be slammed dunked by the DOD?  Or are we seeing some rogue element within the ATF again doing their thing?  Dunno.

Also makes me ponder a bit what might be in store for us tax stamp holders.  ATF past actions seem to make no logical sense.  In the past they have seemed to ignore Federal Law for their own benefit.

This post by me does not seem that clear but I am going to set it anyway.  All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

They could put some serious hurt on reloading if they changed the shipping classification for smokeless powder as an accellerant but not an explosive in small quantities. They did publish something a few months back about considering doing something of the sort. 

• Like 1

They're sticking their toe in the water.

They need to stick their dick in a light socket! We the People are getting fed up with this Shit!!! I hope...
They need to jump in all the way and get eaten by a shark! Show the government it's not safe to get in the water...

2015-01-29-jaws1.jpeg

Edited by Heartbreaker
  • Like 2

They're sticking their toe in the water.

They need to stick their dick in a light socket! We the People are getting fed up with this Shit!!! I hope...

that is a great descriptive image

• Like 1