The local Dunahms is selling Wolf for $2.99 a box, marked down from $4.99

Anyone know if there are better in-store deals? Looking for more that's cheap...

Gander's regular price on HP ammo is $2.49 & I think FMJ when they have it is $2.99...

At least Flint & Saginaw.

This isn't in-store but Sportsmens Guide has 1000 rds 7.62x39 FMJ, if you are in their Buyer's Club and have one of the $10 off coupons, brings cost down to $93-. That is equivalent of $1.86/box. Back-ordered with end of May expected availability. You can even use the 4 month payment option. Makes things relatively painless. FYI in case anyone interested. :up::smoke:

The local Dunahms is selling Wolf for $2.99 a box, marked down from $4.99

Anyone know if there are better in-store deals? Looking for more that's cheap...

Gander's regular price on HP ammo is $2.49 & I think FMJ when they have it is $2.99...

At least Flint & Saginaw.

I haven't been to the Gander in Flint for a while, but the last time I was there it seemed like all they had for 7.62x39 was remington for much more than I wanted to pay for non-deer season ammo....

• 2 weeks later...
This isn't in-store but Sportsmens Guide has 1000 rds 7.62x39 FMJ, if you are in their Buyer's Club and have one of the $10 off coupons, brings cost down to $93-. That is equivalent of $1.86/box. Back-ordered with end of May expected availability.

I was at the store in South St. Paul last week. I asked about x39 wolf ammo. The guy said he had 10 million rounds on back order, an exaggeration maybe, but just shows that if you are looking for wolf ammo from them you might want to look elsewhere.

This isn't in-store but Sportsmens Guide has 1000 rds 7.62x39 FMJ, if you are in their Buyer's Club and have one of the $10 off coupons, brings cost down to $93-. That is equivalent of $1.86/box. Back-ordered with end of May expected availability.

I was at the store in South St. Paul last week. I asked about x39 wolf ammo. The guy said he had 10 million rounds on back order, an exaggeration maybe, but just shows that if you are looking for wolf ammo from them you might want to look elsewhere.

For $93/1000rds I am willing to wait. In the meantime some Wolf is starting to be in stock (but expensive) on the Internet and even locally so we'll feed the AK with another flavor until the boat docks. :smoke:

As is many things, it seems to be location location location.

Our east-side Gander has Wolf on a somewhat regular basis for the $2.50/box (maybe a case at a shot, it sells quickly). The west-side store rarely seems to have any in stock (at least when I've stopped by).

Steve

Madison, WI

Some Wolf 7.62x39 is getting to this country now as got backorder from Cabelas today and recent order from SpoortsmansGuide. Century had a palate of it and sold out in less than a week.

• 1 month later...

As Tritium said, Governments are getting nervous, or flexing muscles. Last 6 months have found to keep my shooting stock from getting low, have gotten on backorder lists. Since most suppliers have a 30 to 90 days wait. If a person waits until stock comes in, it's gone. Also keeps price reasonable, don't have to go to resalers. :smoke:

Where is all the Wolf going?

I was at AIM Surplus and they heard from a customer who works at Wright Patterson Air Force Base that the US government is buying the ammo to arm the Iraqi and Afghan armies.

If this is true then not only we are paying for the ammo from our tax money but our government is not buying ammo from US companies. Furthermore the Iraqis should pay for the war with their oil so it won't be as big of a drain on our pockets.

On top of world events, we have a "panic" here in the states and people that normally buy 1/2 case or less are buying 2 or 3 cases at a pop which causes quick out of stocks when the shipments come in - not to mention price increases... this will only subside when the shipments can out-strip the big demand right now - but they will as people are satisfied with their stockpiles... ;)

And I'm not condemming the folks that stock up - I've got several cases myself :)

my local guy has it stockpiled in large quantity, if any of you are in driving distance of dutchess county, NY. his prices have increased due to what he called a "nationwide ammo shortage", which has only affected him just recently. I think its 16.99 per 100 rounds, less in case quantity. he does have whole pallettes of the stuff, and is in REAL good with his distributers, so I know he will have it for a while yet, if he ever runs out. Ive been buying a lot of old surplus, myself, because it is still at the shop, and is not in large amounts, so might as well shoot that STINKY (stink as in smells like eggs), stuff up while I can still get it.

I dont know why everyone is so surprised with world war three raging (yes, that is really whats happening, people. lets just hope it stays small for the 50-100 years its going to run its course.) why there is an ammo shortage out there. its being shot up at people around the world. surplus is drying up in part because of the fact that the new round was chosen a couple-few years back already, and its already been sold to the distributers, so that is why 223 is going up across the board as well.

I was at AIM Surplus and they heard from a customer who works at Wright Patterson Air Force Base that the US government is buying the ammo to arm the Iraqi and Afghan armies.

If this is true then not only we are paying for the ammo from our tax money but our government is not buying ammo from US companies. Furthermore the Iraqis should pay for the war with their oil so it won't be as big of a drain on our pockets.

What major manufacturer in this country is geared up to make military lots of 7.62x39, I am not talking about a tens of thousands a month, tens of millions of rounds a month, that meets the orginal military specifications. I don't think any one is ready for that here, the armies own ammo plant(there is only one due to the past budget cuts and no lay away small arms back up) is running full bore to just keep the US army in 5.56, 7.62 and 20mm. I dont think there is any spare manufacturing space at lake city for gearing up for additional production lines in 7.62x39 at all.

You're right Uzitiger. :super: What's even better is the millions of rds in both countries arms depots are troops were ordered to destroy. :rolleyes::smoke:

As for destruction of ammo in Iraq and afganistan. We blow up that sort of ammo, because we may not have any knowlage of its past history or storage or handling(you ask why is handling and storage important look up the forrestal accident, past storage of the bombs in addition to other problems aboard ship created problems). We also destroy such ammo(small arms up to bombs and artillery projectiles) also, due to the fact it finds it way in the hands of those we dont want armed by hook or crook.

Let me ask you. I give you ten cases of ammo, and you want it but I say I have no clue if any of it will detonate rather than defelagrate in your chamber(explode vs burning on the powder) due to the fact it may have been mishandled or stored improperly in the past. Do you want to trust small arms ammo in such shape for troops whose lifes may depend on it in a firefight too(or the us army solder who is besides these guys fighting). I also don't think I would want any ones lifes depending on the ofv-03 ammo on the market either in such a situation.(we have ammo classifations here that the only way you would use some of it, is war emerency, it should be demiled or destroyed) I have seen more ammo destroyed that you couldn't identify what the problems were but it might cause a death or injury on the wrong side of the muzzle. The us army has great tracking on stablity of its products thus a high confidance in what it useally sends to the field. The army is constantly pulling lots and samples on the stuff we keep in controled storage(underground, no fluxuations in temp or jostleing both enemies of propellants for sure) and we still destroy lots of it all the time. There are limits to shelf life on most ammunition.

Edited by okie shooter
  • 2 weeks later...

What major manufacturer in this country is geared up to make military lots of 7.62x39, I am not talking about a tens of thousands a month, tens of millions of rounds a month, that meets the orginal military specifications. I don't think any one is ready for that here, the armies own ammo plant(there is only one due to the past budget cuts and no lay away small arms back up) is running full bore to just keep the US army in 5.56, 7.62 and 20mm. I dont think there is any spare manufacturing space at lake city for gearing up for additional production lines in 7.62x39 at all.

I don't know which major manufacturer is geared to make millions of 7.62x39 but if given a contract they would gear up and provide jobs for Americans instead of Russians with OUR tax dollars. Remington, Federal and Winchester already manufacture this caliber and would love to get a US government contract to make more. Also if any of these ammo manufacturers would get a contract they would have to subcontract suppliers which would provide more American jobs.

Giving US ammo producers contracts would also restore the nation's defense manufacturing ability stripped to the bone by that traitor in chief Clinton.

I heard that in Vietnam, someone on the U.S. side would make some special 7.62x39mm kaboom loads. Like a case filled with 25gr of Bullseye powder or something and leave those out in the field.

This is one of the reasons there were such harsh punishments for using the enemies weapons instead of your issued rifle.

Could be BS. But not knowing the origin or handling of ammo is BAD. Better safe than sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a bunch of Wolf 7.62x39 and it was laquar coated with that green stuff what is with that? I bought 10 boxes and 2 were the normal gray coated type! I really was upset when none of my .223 ammo was gray it all was green!

topmaul, green coat is usually from military stock. most in the early 90's came in that way. now green is usually military disignate, yet not always. ordered two cases from sportsmans, came a week apart, one grey and one was green. even has a sort of camo print on box. wonder if this is old stock being shipped or just a throwback style. last cases that I got at $118 delivered, now I see around $150 :smoke:

aka108, which wolf you order. fmj has only been delayed about 30 to 45 days. get a case or two a month. some oobuck(wolf) has taken 60 days. expect delays know to lenghten since people are getting paranoid. :smoke: you are right about price. just jumped about 50% in last 45 days. :osama::killer::smoke:

Something important to ask. Is this price increase temporary because of a short term shortage, or is this gona be the new baseline price. I can see $119-$129 per 1000 due to increased fuel costs, but right now it seems to be the sudden rise in the price of metals. From what I have heard from that part, the metal prices should settle down close to what they where before by the end of the year. The rise in the price of oil has just set off other commodity values. Personaly, I had 2000 rounds in long term storage plus 500 rounds for imediate useage anyway before all this happened. I'm going to shoot my AK less for the time being. Gona shoot my 995 more because I can reload 9mm for very cheap.

Academy sports and outdoors still has monarch (barnaul) for $2.86 a box.

thats x39 and 223.

i did multiple tests between barnaul and wolf.

barnaul always came out on top.

in accuracy and bullet performance. (fragmentation, expansion, penatration.)

i recently received 1000 rounds of 223 wolf for only about $95.

got that to feed my future 223 saiga. yep, still on back order. but i'm in the next 3 in line. it will be arriving shortly.

Hey,

Everything is going up!!! Metals, especially copper, are spiking. Fuel - Well, e all know about fuel. Then there's demand! The US is refitting two armies that favoe 7.62X39 and just the other day, ol' Hugo from Venezuela (spelling?) ordered several MILLION rds. Just my opinion, but I doubt we've seen the end of the price rises! :cryss: YMMV!!! :smoke:

Old SF