How to make your very own Saiga 10 round magazines

So this link only brings old bad news....So what are the details behind the failures to produce a mag from these guys? Seems like they burned the capital up front to buy tooling stuff, where did it go down the toilet, and why?????

Think there was some sort of change of management or ownership and the new folks did not wish to pursue it.

So this link only brings old bad news....So what are the details behind the failures to produce a mag from these guys? Seems like they burned the capital up front to buy tooling stuff, where did it go down the toilet, and why?????

The tooling is nice, but it only gets you 30% of the way there. You still have to stamp the parts, trim them, weld them together, do some finishing work and you still have to make a base plate, follower and spring. I think the guy got this far and the rest looked too daunting (i.e. expensive)

And don't forget the testing, modifications and retooling which you know will be necessary to achieve a fully reliable product.

The tooling is nice, but it only gets you 30% of the way there. You still have to stamp the parts, trim them, weld them together, do some finishing work and you still have to make a base plate, follower and spring. I think the guy got this far and the rest looked too daunting (i.e. expensive)

And don't forget the testing, modifications and retooling which you know will be necessary to achieve a fully reliable product.

Yup, that sounds about right. Making them out of polymer isn't much easier either. I looked into it and got as far as getting quotes from mold making companies, and despite the several thousands of supposedly spoken for 308 mags for the failed Daewoo project some time ago, there was just no way to make a profit out of it.

Everyone seems to say the same thing;

"these things could be made for $10/$20/$30/$40/$50 (pick one, I'm sure someone has said it)"

"if somebody just started making these they'd make a killing"

"With the amount of mags sold just to boardmembers whoever makes these would already make a profit"

The reality is much, much different so even though there are credible efforts to get some of these made, I still consider US made Saiga Hi-Caps to be UNOBTANIUM. Or at the very least, vaporware. Saiga Solutions was very serious and dedicated to the project. They were not yanking chains, they were honest about their desire to make these, it just can't be done at a profitable rate.

I know there are people out there trying to make these right now. I'm not calling anyone a liar since I know most are sincere, but I'll believe it when I see it. I'll tell you this much, if any ever do come out, buy them quick because you're not likely to see more than the first batch.

So this link only brings old bad news....So what are the details behind the failures to produce a mag from these guys?

Dunno, but he posted on one of the AK boards recently, trolling for interest in super-hi-cap (60rd+) AK-74 mags. Needless to say, I'm not holding my breath. :ded:

So this link only brings old bad news....So what are the details behind the failures to produce a mag from these guys?

Dunno, but he posted on one of the AK boards recently, trolling for interest in super-hi-cap (60rd+) AK-74 mags. Needless to say, I'm not holding my breath. :ded:

Im not sure what the hold up would be, it would also depend on what the manufacturing process is. We were going ot make 10 round mags from aluminum. I designed the mag in an afternoon. The next day I showed the design to our machinests. They said "no big deal". Now our CNC is already programmed. Were just currently waiting to see (and have been for months) if any one is going to market.

There was one member that showed a photo of his mould, and we have been waiting for him to produce ever since.If it is mould issues, I fully understand the waiting time (alot of you have seen how long this takes with the saiga quad rail). I would think you would see updates though. It may be a money pit as well. Moulds for plastic and metal cost almost the same. Most of the mould "quotes" Ive seen for that size can run $20-$30K.That doesnt include building a spring, floor plate, and follower. As far as the stamped mag goes. That lookedvery promising, but I havent heard anything about it either.

Thats why we perfer NOT to farm anything out and do alot of our production "in-house". Then you can keep the quality, and have control over the production. I know one thing, if one doesnt show up soon, there will be an new 10rd mag on the block come January 2007. Were not waiting forever!

If you need a 10 rounder i have 4 of them I can send one to you and see what you think just let me know thanks mark.

Im not sure what the hold up would be, it would also depend on what the manufacturing process is. We were going ot make 10 round mags from aluminum. I designed the mag in an afternoon. The next day I showed the design to our machinests. They said "no big deal". Now our CNC is already programmed. Were just currently waiting to see (and have been for months) if any one is going to market.

There was one member that showed a photo of his mould, and we have been waiting for him to produce ever since.If it is mould issues, I fully understand the waiting time (alot of you have seen how long this takes with the saiga quad rail). I would think you would see updates though. It may be a money pit as well. Moulds for plastic and metal cost almost the same. Most of the mould "quotes" Ive seen for that size can run $20-$30K.That doesnt include building a spring, floor plate, and follower. As far as the stamped mag goes. That lookedvery promising, but I havent heard anything about it either.

Thats why we perfer NOT to farm anything out and do alot of our production "in-house". Then you can keep the quality, and have control over the production. I know one thing, if one doesnt show up soon, there will be an new 10rd mag on the block come January 2007. Were not waiting forever!

Halo,

I don't think the stamped will come to life, but I could be wrong. The fact that the dies are up for grabs meant that it wasn't worth the effort for someone to complete/work thru the rest of the details.

I know the financials aren't as appealing when you are splitting the market, but I don't think it's a true split. I mean, I think people will buy both. I will say this, and I think I speak for more than just a few of the Saiga owners, I was laying up funds for Ian's mags as well as Kevin's.

I think an aluminum would be different enough where many folks would want some of both.

But, it's easy for me to set at the keyboard and spend your money:)

Halo,

I don't think the stamped will come to life, but I could be wrong. The fact that the dies are up for grabs meant that it wasn't worth the effort for someone to complete/work thru the rest of the details.

I know the financials aren't as appealing when you are splitting the market, but I don't think it's a true split. I mean, I think people will buy both. I will say this, and I think I speak for more than just a few of the Saiga owners, I was laying up funds for Ian's mags as well as Kevin's.

I think an aluminum would be different enough where many folks would want some of both.

But, it's easy for me to set at the keyboard and spend your money:)

And the unobtanium band played on.

I very much want a Saiga 12.

High magazine prices are the only thing preventing me from purchasing a Saiga 12.

Once the high caps hit the market dont get caught without one. The Saiga-12 will be very sought after. even more so than they are now

Heard that one for years too.

No truer now than it was back then.

Best of luck to all concerned. Don't get your hopes up.

I very much want a Saiga 12.

High magazine prices are the only thing preventing me from purchasing a Saiga 12.

Once the high caps hit the market dont get caught without one. The Saiga-12 will be very sought after. even more so than they are now

Heard that one for years too.

No truer now than it was back then.

Best of luck to all concerned. Don't get your hopes up.

I'm not going to get all excited about Domesticly produced highcaps till I see one. Till then I will roll my own :smoke:

Don't lose hope boys. The .308 20 round mags have just been submitted for review.

It took a few years, but, it's no longer unobtanium.

Check it out!

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=12518

If the .308 20 round mags finally made it, there is surely realistic hope for 12 gauge 10 round mags.

Glad to hear this development, but they're still unobtanium until they ship. Let's keep our fingers crossed, and our hopes down.