.410 to .444 Marlin conversion

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, there's nothing on the Tromix site. It's something that Tony's been thinking about for a while, and we're finally going to do it.

It would sure get you a lot of attention on the firing line.

I would guess around $750. But I won't know until it's done.

The Pac-Nor 1:25 twist Match barrel blank runs over $200 alone.

Tony

Is P-Grip conversion included in that estimate or is that just the caliber conversion price?

Edited by DaGroaner

I will pony up to the guinea pig line... I have already told Tony that I wanted one of these a long while back...

The only problem I have is FUNDS... First of February... the "gun fund" cometh... *THEN* I will be ready!

Maybe some prior guinea pigs will have theirs by then, and all the bugs will be worked out... and I can get one without any hiccups! LOL :lol::up:

Regardless... I would be interested, although I will be short of the $750.00 till Feb....

Take that as you wish... Thats the best I can do...

:smoke:

That would be a standard "Basic" Tromix conversion. Pistol grip and folding stock.

This topic has been discussed in the past, but no one ever came up with any front money to get it done. I finally decided to do it anyway, even if the interest is small.

Tony

Edited by TonyRumore

...just because you can! :super: This is actually one of the more tame projects you've done, IMO.

That siamese AR with opposed barrels, flippity-flopped gas system job with double betas was some really sick work! :eek:

410 to 444 Marlin, yawn...

j/k!

I look forward to seeing this project!

Question - have you considered using Marlin or Winchseter levergun barrels available at Numrich? That's what I'm using for my 35 Rem AKM conversion that's been in progress for a LOOONG time. Seems to me it would be nice to use one already chambered. Prices were $50ish a couple years ago, wonder if they still are. I almost did the 444 on 410 but chose the 35 Rem instead for that particular project.

Edited by BattleRifleG3
I know i want one... I'll have to make it myself though.. Would be well worth it.

im sure you could make it pump too, so you could use it to hunt in states that don't let you use a semi to hunt with. like my lovely neighbor and homeland PA

meh.........what would be the point of an AK base then?

would it matter if the ak was pump or semi? wouldn't it still take the same amount of abuse, right? probably more so if it was semi.

the thought just came to my mind b/c it would be cheaper to make the pump ak than to go buy a laver 444 + i would want it to be able to be changed back to semi fairly easly.

this is just how i feel and what i would like, sorry if you guys don't feel the same way.

Edited by studmuff1228

What would the mag capacity be, 4 still? Mabee you could offer a layaway plan of something because I really want one. :wub: I have always wanted a 44 caliber semi-auto, but the Deerfield is limited to 4 rounds. This conversion would at least give me the option of 10 rounders. Plus the 444 has much more punch than a 44 mag. Post pics as soon as you get everything together. I handload so if you want me to test out the prototype you can let me know. I'll pay the shipping, FFL transfer, load the ammo, AND provide video of the testing. :angel:

/I can just imagine the looks I will get at the range.

//DIBS ON TESTING IT. I CALLED IT FIRST. :rolleyes:

how does the law view the serialization thing? it was a registered shotgun reciever, and would then have a rifle barrel installed, making it a rifle, but does the serial # come into effect? stupid question, but I have no idea how that would work....

you should probably check into it for sure, because a converted 410 saiga with a PG configuration is considered an assault weapon in the facist state of NY, for instance. It would definately need a redesignation, seeing how the reciever itself would have a shotgun chambering marking on it, and might be written down ANYWAY as a longarm - shotgun on transfer paperwork by someone that goes by the absolute letter of the law....

you should probably check into it for sure, because a converted 410 saiga with a PG configuration is considered an assault weapon in the facist state of NY, for instance. It would definately need a redesignation, seeing how the reciever itself would have a shotgun chambering marking on it, and might be written down ANYWAY as a longarm - shotgun on transfer paperwork by someone that goes by the absolute letter of the law....

In that case I'd say stick to the sporter config.

Tony, you mentioned a 1:25 barrel but Marlin uses a 1:20 for .444. I know Marlin switched from a 1:38 so perhaps the diff between 1:20 and 1:25 is negligible but I'm wondering why you settled on the 1:25. Can you shed some light please? Also what barrel lengths were you going to offer? I'm interested in a 16" carbine.