Why no Saiga-12 "Krinkov" style?

Looking at my S12 it came to me that at the range this as a combat weapon would probably be used, there would probably be a use for an "ultra compact" model, say a 10" rifled bbl. At shotgun combat ranges I believe the rounds wouldnt lose any of their effectiveness, but how about the weapon? I know an AK will cycle with the barrel cut VERY short, but how about the Saiga? Would the weapon cycle with an ultra short barrel? Outside of combat I see very little use for this kind of weapon, but for 3 gun matches and "frag house" style applications I'd think this would be an awesome weapon. Say, low impulse slugs and triple-aught buck with a side or underfolding stock.

Just imagining. Got a buddy in Idaho who's sitting on my only Class III gun (M11.9) until I move somewhere more "exotics" friendly. Anyway, he is licensed to do work on toys like that and if it turns out to be a practical idea I might see if he would be interested in building one as a dealer sample should I choose to foot the bill, just for shits and giggles.

<laughs> It'd need an ACE folder at LEAST to deal with the recoil, but yeah, thats the general idea.

Incidently, I took the ugly black plastic handguards off her lastnight and modified an old walnut "pump" for-end that came off of my "conventional" trench gun, to fit the bill. She, for all the world, looks like a early model FAL with that thing on. For some reason it just looks so much sexier showing the gas block and tube....

I'm still tempted to have Lance test my theory- do you think it'd still cycle with a barrel that short?

I don't know how mutilated for "Showtime" movie Saiga12 can help you, but you definitely should take a look.

Text from the page I took this pictures says

=== quote ===

"Showtime" this movie starring Eddie Murphy and Robert DeNiro has a "Bad guy" gun which may be a sort of take off on the OICW idea. It has a six inch barrel and works in semi auto. The base gun is a Saiga 12 gauge shotgun. Lots of hard work by Gibbons Ltd. Gunsmith Jim Boland. Gibbons, Burbank. Photo by Dan Shea

=== quote ===

showtime1.jpg

During several occasions they fired this gun (obviously with blank cartridges) exactly from this configuration (showed above).

Not from one showed below

showtime2.jpg

Personally I don't like this design because of many "make-it-scary" unnesessary strucutal members and anyway this is just a movie gun.

Edited by ZakherBakher

I've seen that pic on the Saiga 12 main site. That gun looks so stupid and impractical. I think the only people to be impressed by that gun is the layman movie-goer who doesn't know anything about guns. It looks like it was constructed from an Erector Set!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey, for LEO or a house gun, short would be nice. I live in a 1600' ranch style.

Do a walk through your house with a 22" or 19" barrel (when no one's home to think you've flipped). My brother is a 33yr LEO who posed this to me. Even as small as my house is, just getting out of the bedroom into the hall is a problem if you have an intruder. Lots of places for someone to grab the barrel if you lead with it. I always worry about wall penetration (having kids in other rooms). I figured a 12 ga has some light rounds that would be very effective at close range without over penetration. I don't know how reliable a short 12 would be, but I could see it working for special applications.

I seriously doubt those shorties where the barrel is just hacked off, will run on anything but 3" mags and I expect the gas port is probably 3/8" in diameter as well.

That's just sloppy work in my opinion. The correct way to do it, is to move the entire gas system rearward to maintain some sort of dwell time past the gas port. My guns will run on any 2.75" low base target shell and the gas port is still rather small. The gas regulator has been modified similar to an RPD machine gun, so the guns will run magnum shells on the other gas setting.

This entails manufacturing a new gas tube housing (20mm) as well as a new gas piston.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

• 6 months later...
The correct way to do it, is to move the entire gas system rearward to maintain some sort of dwell time past the gas port

Yup. If the barrel is cut off too close to the gas port the pressure drops off too fast to allow the bolt to cycle properly.